Offset Removal Hogan Apex PC

Just finished this set of Hogan PC’s… removing offset.
While it is slight, and not noticeable to an untrained eye… it actually is quite significant.

Took the first photo before… then removed the offset and hit a few shots with it. Just fantastic clubs now.

3 Likes

I really like when the leading edge of the bottom of the clubface is inline with the leading edge or left side of the shaft.

Some sets I’ll add even a slight bit of forward face progression for the short irons because the ball… due to the loft of the club will actually hit higher up the face… so the leading edge ideally would be slightly more left.

1 Like

Did u just use a vice? It looks like I wasted $190 for these irons after watching mod 1. They are perimeter carved out. Have to go further back in the time machine😀. I did bend them at least 5 degrees flat. They bend like butter pretty cool. Only have had time to hit twice.

Notice all the knicks on the bottom from mod1. Have rocks where I’m hitting and have been hitting ground. Two says it’s from acceleration too soon in one post I just felt like it was too much loop and acceleration too late? I think with the club behind u so much it’s a much shallower strike which introduces ground earlier??

I have a proper machine for bending irons and removing offset. A standard vice bangs up the heads a lot… but that being said, won’t affect playability.

Hmmm used the lie loft machine at club and didn’t know u could take out offset with it?
Should I look for old irons without cavity? I have a nice daiwa driver

The older irons are made of softer metals… so they can be bent.
As far as taking out offset, there is a specific technique to doing that.
Someone has to know what they are doing.

I have never used the machine to flatten out woods however.

I’m sure people (including myself) would be interested in seeing a video of how you do this process, if you’re able to.

I think so few people would have the right equipment to do it correctly. Mike couldn’t even get it done with a Mitchell lie angle machine because of the location of the head clamps. Doesn’t really give enough room to get the bending bar in the right place to do the lower bend. I have a VanL machine that allows this… but I think those bending machines are unusual. I’m not really sure what else is out there because I have always used the VanL.

I wondered into Dick’s Sporting Goods recently to buy a new putter grip. I asked the fitter about bending irons and was told, “You can only bend forged clubs 2 degrees in either direction (lie & loft).” Subsequently, I asked if he could remove offset on forged irons and was told, “You might be able to take some offset off by increasing the loft angles, because it moves the leading edge forward, but you can only increase the loft on each club 2 degrees.” Interesting….but I don’t see the validity of his concept.

Increasing loft does reduce offset. Lag’s method involves a double bend on the hosel so you can remove offset without having to increase the loft. No shop is going to attempt to do that and it’s not going to work on most new clubs.

But, forged clubs can be bent more than 2*. The old clubs especially can move a lot.

Thank you for your response! I appreciate what I learned from your response.

Great pictures !!! Hogan always made great looking club, especially their persimmon drivers with the speed slot and deep face.

When I made my pilgrimage to the deck on time, John and I took the offset out of my Wilson Staffs. He uses a specific shaft bending tool that provides enough clearance with the vice in order to make the two bends k2 talks about. John talks a little in detail about it in one of the older equipment threads.

There is an art to it…
I’ve just done so many sets over the years it’s second nature now… seems easy enough, but took some time to get there.

Good to know because I’ve been trying it after watching Bradley and JHs video over and over. I’ll stick with it just like the drills :grinning: