My first attempt at flattening woods

New insert in ready for drilling
image.jpg

So here is the mac , the mizuno and the speedslot.

The mizzy I tried to give a burnished look too didn’t really work………different LOL. It has a gamma fire insert and an x200 tipped an inch and weighs 14.5 oz with no lead it feels like Im swinging a sledge hammer!!! I think its going to be fun!

The Hogan speedslot is the caramel color. It also has the gamma fire insert and an x100 tipped an inch weighs 13.5 oz
The mac up close is a really dark purple color. I liked the insert and it has an x100 tipped and is shorter than the others at 43"……my buddy in LA plays a short super tight course and I made that for out there.

I rebored them all to 47 degrees

From my rounds so far with my test club I may need more loft. Hitting a lot of fairways though.
My local course is really soft but when it hardens up I bet I wouldn’t be much behind my titanium if at all. The test club has a regular insert.
Im starting to believe that the real advantage of the giant head driver is that it makes it MUCH easier to hit UP on the ball thus maximizing launch conditions.

Kindest, Ian B
image.jpeg

pics of the mizuno…….I took this thing out back I wanted to hit it so bad. I crushed it straight as a die and much higher than my test club very encouraging!
(its 35degrees here!!!)
image-11.jpeg
image-13.jpeg

Where’d you get the gamma fire inserts?

you can buy it on Ebay its basically similar material as PC board it really really dense and hard.
You have to buy a sheet then cut and work it to shape.

What is the material called when listed on eBay?

If I remember it is called G4 …….this is info about it somewhere on this site i know. I remember seeing it in a range of colors also which would be nice I just decided to go with the standard green.

kindest, IanB

Just as an update on my persimmon experience.

Actually hitting the ball is much less difficult than I thought LOL!
The mizzy at 14.5 oz with the x200 is a joy to hit. Get it right and its like driving a race car flat out and hanging on for dear life! Get it wrong and it feels like its about to tear your right shoulder off !! ( just my bad move) . Once I had more loft on it I hit probably 300 balls with it just for the sheer fun of it!!! I had to add loft partly because of the lack of spin off the ball and probably because getting the club to look right to me at address at the lower lie angle takes loft out of the club during rebuilding. I would cut the inserts deeper and add even more loft with my next persimmon for sure. That being said although the carry is for sure less overall distance with the gamma fire insert would not be an issue. The other day I played a familiar course and hit it to spots with the mizzy I had never been to before. Im an M2 grad and so obviously Im going thru big swing changes so I certainly don’t infer Im hitting it further just that D is NOT an issue. To be honest if I was playing on a sand soil based links course OR a tight course it would without question be my preferred driver.

I hope the is encouraging to others, IB

They look great! I’m jealous.