Maybe Hogan was Drummer!

Sure…as long as they’re coated :laughing:

Thanks for the link!

Don’t know if Hogan was a drummer RR…but found a Ken Venturi video that shows he can hit the pigskins

[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/20603596[/vimeo]

Thanks so very much for posting that…way cool!. I didn’t know that about Venturi. He obviously was exposed to that somewhere and proceeded with it, maybe as a hobby like Johnny Carson did. :sunglasses:

That is a piece of evidence favoring the “music / good golfer connection theory”.

Like I said before, I don’t really know with any certainty about a link, if any, between music and golf. I don’t think it hurts, but I’m not convinced that good athletes can’t nail down some sort of motion absent musical ability. However, if one looks to music as being a universal language, much like golf is sometimes reported to be…then maybe there is some connection.

Just within the last month my grandson came up with some beats all on his own really. I never showed him these, but maybe he picked up a variation of them from me when we fiddle around in the basement. Anyway, he said “Grandpa listen to this” and he proceeded to tap out some beats on his knees- keeping time with one hand and doing his drummer stuff with the other. Kind of cool to see.

I’ll be interested to watch this summer if these new found beats start to find a way into swinging a club for him. Up to this point his motion is a herky-jerky, unbalanced hit it out of the universe type of thing. I wondering if this rhythm and timing he’s starting to show will start to smooth things out but in a powerful way. Time will tell.

But I see some connection between good hitting and good drumming…both call for an understanding and execution of playing from high to low :slight_smile:

I don’t know if anyone is familiar with Noam Chomsky, he’s a professor of linguistics at MIT and a political commentator/activist and(lefty). He’s got an interesting take on grammar, that I see as related to internal instinctive rhythms. Essentially he sees grammar as instinctive and not something we actually learn. And that whatever language it is, the structures contained within them are based on something inside of us, and not outside. I’ve thought a lot about the different languages and how they seem attached to different styles of culture- it’s a fascinating area I think. They’re all very musical in their own right, and I’ve found that my more musically inclined friends tend also to be better, or at least more willing to throw themselves into new languages. And when you think of the different styles of music that come out of different cultures, it would all be very hard to deny.

I’ve quite enjoyed many of Noam’s lectures. Thanks for bringing it up.

Mathematics often tends to be brought into the equation as a bridge as well, going hand-in-hand with musical ability and grammar and spelling ability. It’s been speculated that Bach based his fugues on Fibonacci successions, but I tend more to think his brain had great pattern detection and creation wiring and the music just flowed from that.

I grew up in the evolution of digital music, creating a digital synthesizer for my university thesis, worked briefly at Fairlight Industries who created Jean-Michel Jarre’s digital instruments and then went on to create some of the most loved tunes around the world!–the ones gamblers hear when they win on the slot machines. I was always wondering how I could subliminally get the winners to send me some of their winnings.

It was an interesting world, but one I left because, just as in golf, it gets carried away and now we’re seeing technologically manipulated crap standing in for talent. Every freakin’ pop song now is just about based on foolproof C,F, G chords with sound processing standing in for true talent. Golf it’s the B,A,G chords with equipment and perfect greens standing in for true talent.

We also have the same science versus art issues that IMO relates to mechanizing the golf swing and putting strokes–feel is lost and feel is everything. You can tell the mood of a talented musician from one day to the next from his music. Computer music was simply too perfect and lost the nuances that the human element added to the piece. All quality music creation software, even drum sequencers, at a minimum had to purposely introduce jitter to ensure notes weren’t hit exactly on beat, and it immediately made computer music sound better, but never could it approach the inflections subconsciously applied and inaccuracies by the true artist.

I am always amazed that the human can be spot on with timing given we have no internal clock or perfect reference signal to go by. Two musicians can hit a note at the same time to the resolution of our liking even straight after a couple of bars of silence. Yet we can still detect when a computer plays a chord with all notes being struck perfectly together, and it sounds lifeless. We have near perfect digital amps, but they sound lifeless compared to the old tube amps. CDs versus LPs, wood versus titanium, so many parallels.

Steb, you don’t need me to tell you this, but you’ve got a very good mind. It would be great to play some golf with you some day… I always enjoy reading your perspectives on things…
Cheers, man…
BOM

Not sure I agree with ‘very good mind’, more like 'fed up mind’. I’m afraid to inform you that your mind is obviously fed up too if we’re on the same wavelength. :confused:

Somehow I don’t think we’d be concentrating on our golf too much. Probably shoot the lights out!

Sounds about right :mrgreen:

Obviously Feherty never saw this guy if he described Furyk’s swing as looking like an octopus falling out of a window …
WARNING TURN SOUND OFF :laughing:

youtu.be/ItZyaOlrb7E

Dani, but accuracy of contact. (?). The drummer is a great showman, but also has accuracy. I don’t think he missed a beat/cymbal/snare/tom/or bass. The flames on a kit of Ludwigs is maybe blasfamy, but the sound of a Fender Stratocaster is just beautiful, in my opinion. Didn’t someone say Furyk’s swing was like a gorrilla falling out of a tree? Good drumming/music post…thanks.