Wow. I just took a glance on eBay and had no idea the used prices were so crazy. $1500 for the complete Scotland machine
I guess I would suggest you go with that golf mechanix one. I’m pretty sure it will do all you need unless you’re a super high volume shop and bending hard steel irons as well.
Yeah prices were way above what I can afford currently. I will keep searching. Thx Dutch!
Looks like a nicer version of what I have, includes the stand, and I assume both bending bars pictured are included? If it all works (looks like it does from the pic) I think that is a reasonable deal when you consider how much shipping is on something like that.
For reference, I paid $850 for mine and it came with the stand and one bending bar and I picked it up locally, so no shipping. It’s a commercial quality machine; in fact, I’ll be moving mine into our assembly area for the golf club company.
If you are patient for something local to come up and you live close to a population center, you can eventually land a cheaper machine. But the machine pictured looks nice and you would not regret it so long as you use it a good amount. If you will rarely use it, an economy machine is still a smart idea. All up to you based on how you want to use it, how you want to store it, etc… good luck!
Thx k2!
I typically will always opt for commercial grade machines and professional grade tools. Cheap tools end up breaking and screwing up what you’re working on. Cheap machines won’t crank when you need them, aren’t designed to be serviced/maintained, etc. Cheap tools and equipment usually cause more headaches typically.
So normally I would spend for the quality. I just don’t know if I can justify this one when the cheaper ones will do all I will need. This one will be sturdier and much nicer to use, I do realize that however. And would keep resale value I imagine.
I concur with @k2baloo that it looks like a good machine with everything in place. Looks like you can do vintage metal woods in this setup also. Check out some of @NRG posts and work. Theta are all pretty heavy and expensive to ship but having looked on eBay I think you’d be able to resell for a decent $
Thx guys! The more I think on this, I am contemplating just buying the cheapest “clamp” section for a couple hundred and using a protractor. The only downside I see is taking longer to do and making sure I have the protractor square with the club, but they are just some old irons and not for a customer or anything. I am on a budget ![]()
I can fab a bending bar
It’s always about suiting your needs. Golfworks used to have a magnetic angle finder. It would be a bit tricky to get it just right because you’d have to be able to keep it in line with the leading edge of the face but it certainly can be done. We’re here to help either way.
Thx buddy! I appreciate you guys helping me and sharing your experience with me.
Morning guys. Update : I was able to find and buy a used Mitchell A2 steelclub with a bending bar this morning! I will take some pictures once I receive it. It was more than a basic clamp for 250 but I figured it was worth it and it has the built in gauges so makes life easier.
(Maybe I can advertise and make a few bucks adjusting for folks in my area cause there doesn’t appear to be anyone around that does it)
Cool and definitely you should earn some with it. Put in some practice and I look forward to giving you some coaching. Worth it to pick up a copy of “The Perfect Bend” by Jeff Sheets too.
Afternoon! Hey Dutch, I was reading another post today on the subject of shafts when I saw where you are or were in the Memphis area. I grew up in Memphis oddly enough, small world huh?
Hey did you know Bert Dargie by chance? I bought some persimmon woods on his recommendation. It was over off Airways at the old Army depot.
I still am but no longer in the golf business. I didn’t know him but did meet him as the club I was working had an account wit his company on their last hurrah around 2000-01. The were having their irons forged at Hoffman products in Millington an we did a Continuing Ed thing there with TNPGA. I remember where the assembly shop was on Airways. Dicey neighborhood now. Small world though. He passed away about 10 years ago I think.
He was involved with “First Tee” if I remember correctly and there was a driving range on that property. He had me meet him there, they had a bunch of donated clubs and I bought a few persimmon woods that day.
Later on I went by his house for something, it was off Highland close to Gallaway course. He was building a hickory shaft set for a tournament or something. I wish I would have picked his brain more but I didn’t have the foresight. He told me some stories about Lee Trevino and hanging with him back when the pga had the tournament at Colonial country club. Sorry to hear he’s no longer around. He had a lot of club building knowledge I know.
Yep all makes sense. Many Memphian golfers held their gfamily in very high regard. The course at Galloway underwent a huge renovation like 20 years ago. It’s quite an impressive layout now that still kept a lot of the old charm. The original idea was to do the same with the other city parks courses but it never came to be.
Afternoon! My Mitchell should arrive in a day or two. Do you guys have a chart for loft lie ABS specs? I know I’ve seen one just can’t locate it currently. Thx!
I wrote up a sheet I will post a photo for you on my next trip to the shop today.
Thx Dutch! This will be my target as well. Looks like traditional lofts and 6 degrees flat.
I just realized that I didn’t go as upright in the sandwedge as the note shows. That is what lag suggests. My SW is at 3 flat or 61

