Legs, Feets, and Rear Ends

It looks like you’re stuck back on it. There are very few sports that I’m aware of where you don’t use the front of the foot. Even in Yoga, the warrior pose is rooted in the heel but the front half of the foot is angled inward so you still have the use of it- that’s rudimentary yoga knowledge so I’m sure there’s more to it. I’m confused, this is why I wondered was it a sport that you’re good at. I like these guessing games though…

How about this for comparison?? I still dont know how to put them side by side. :blush:
What sport/action is this???
Capture3.JPG

Wrong! its not a golf swing; part of my experiment to feel and pull against CF. :wink:
Capture4.JPG

It’s not even a sport?! That’s hardly playing fair, Macs…
Though in a way I was right by not being able to name what sport it was from…
On another note, I’m not sure that I like the drill and it explains the foot action. It’s nearly a good idea but there would have to be an actual pulling away from you going on and not just you pulling something static- that’s not really a CF situation. If you could find one of those Lord of the Rings trees to play a sort of circular tug of war game then it would get closer- or even another human, they’re probably easier to come by.

Bom
The game gets funnier.
This was actually one of my best tee shot with a Power Bilt Persimmon earlier this year, captured by chance by my nephew. The rope is a “MS Paint” job. I wish I could do this more often.
Someone tell me how to put pictures side by side in windows so that I can put it side by side with the original leg action.
Capture 5.jpg

With 'ya there Bom…one can see that happening all the time now in the NFL.

Forget the player but a couple weeks ago the Detroit Lions lost again to somebody…and an opposing ( there’s that fricken word again! ) running back with long dread-locks hanging out the back of his helmet was doing a little circular jig away from
Ndamukong Suh. He said…wait a minute not so fast there boy…grabbed and pulled him by the hair and then bashed him into the ground. A great play and a prime example of someone bigger than Optimus leveling the playing field by harnessing CF…well sort of. :laughing: RR

Funnier is definitely a word you could use for it. Do I get a consolation prize for still not liking the foot action? I’m not doubting that you hit a great shot, but there are many ways to hit great shots. You could look at that photo one of two ways- did you hit a great shot because you finally got your legs/feet to do that there, or do you not hit great shots more often because you keep trying to get your legs/feet to do that there? It could just be a difference of opinion, but I wouldn’t see your legs as athletically functional in that position with the club that far into the through swing. If you were loaded there pre impact I’d say maybe, but still rotating around your right leg at that point takes a lot of timing. Do you hit the ground before the ball much?

I’m amazed that an owner of a team could be paying a guy millions of dollars to play at the highest level, yet still be okay with having hair coming out of the back of his helmet that could be used against him, or in some way diminish his performance. It’s so strange- you can’t work for 10 bucks an hour in a restaurant without wrapping up your hair. Is that hair pull a legal move? If it is, why on earth would they want to have it back there as an option for a defender?

Bom
Unfortuantley this was a still shot so I cant show you anything before or after. I think withso much torque built into your spine getting stuck on that right foot is out of question. Awhile ago someone posted a swing sequene of an baseball player who later played on the PGA tour. I think he showed the most of that action. Now I will decipher my original picture. This is actually from a module video that I recently sent to Lag for review. He can chime in if he sees it. What my take is that this action happened once in a year (at least on camera) during a busy golf year. But I can predictably achieve it as many times as I am upto by the fireplace watching TV and drinking tee.
I have become pretty consistent in my low point control with brushing the turf type of divots.
I think that will be a good thread to discuss how long is very long for keeping the weight on the right leg. It is hard for sure to keep it there in a moving system because the system is being moved by the spinal rotation with that kind of action.
If you double click on the photo it should be OK.
Capture2.JPG

The ground pressure issue just needs to be there… if you are going to properly rotate the torso pressuring from an opposing force. Whether the right foot stays planted well into finish (Kenny Perry) or the heel comes up before impact (Gary Player, Curtis Strange), it needs to be remembered that horizontal pressures can be applied through the ball of the foot, even if the heel is up some. People have differing flexibilities in their legs and hips, but this should not stop players from having the proper intentions.

1 Like

But lets say you did have the flexibility to do it; would it not be easy to apply it with the whole inside of the right foot. I remeber you saying that with the ball you are on slippery slope or some’ like that.
Are there any cons to keep it there for too long.

My main thing with this stuff is moving your center of rotation. Kenny Perry has that fancy left heel shuffle that stretched it forward without really noticing it, he moves it in the rear- I think that makes a difference and allows him to do what he does, though he does have some other idiosyncratic stuff that adds to the package. My concern with that photo is that it looks like your centre is still over back of middle. I would see ground pressure as coming from above, it’s a compression of the sides of the body. But we compress them to use them. Having your right side still largely compressed at that point, and into your heel, with your left side fully extended, seems like a missed opportunity, and difficult to time because you’ve got to push the centre forward with your hands and arms which can lead to TGM linear hands ahead scariness.
This could well be just a difference in theory because I don’t know the complete ABS package, so I really shouldn’t be commenting on it, but I don’t know too many golf swings that operate really well on a static centre of rotation. I tried it for a while during my early experimentation because it’s theoretically easier, and gave it a good go too. I don’t think that’s what ABS is about, but it looks like what’s going on in that photo.
This is a good conversation to have though, there’s a lot of important stuff in it…

I threw this together for comparison, just to show, at least in principle, what I’m talking about- Hogan is obviously on the other end of the scale in terms of thrust, but even Trevino pressured off the front of the foot with a shifted centre. I feel like I’m always repeating this, but I just don’t see a lot of thrust ability in the heel. I’m all about loading the pressure into the foot, but even the guys who keep constant pressure in the right foot through impact, still do it out of the front of the foot- even if the come in off all of it.
BHMs.jpg
LT.jpg

As I am not an advanced practitioner of this stuff any more comments from me will be mere speculation. But I will definitely be ears for the final word.
The Ex Yankee I was taling about is Sam Byrd http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XCFpJobEwM.
The early Knudson and Gay Brewster seem like holding onto the right side longer.

Macs,
I definitely think that the discussion you talked about regarding how long is long enough, or too long, to stay on the right foot, which parts of the right foot, and the right leg, would be very valuable to have for those interested in playing golf.
Here’s a great clip of Brewer’s and Casper’s leg action. You’re right that he stays on the right foot for a long time, but the key to his action is his shift of centre just before they stop the film. He shifts in the rear, just like Casper does, and DeVicnezo, Hogan, Wright etc., etc. I would be more of a fan of the Casper action, though if you look closely at Brewer, he isn’t into his heel, he’s onto the inside front of his right foot, it’s subtle, but it’s there. In reality, both of these leg actions are essentially the same, but Casper is just more exaggerated.
The other thing is that Sarazen talks about a slamming down of the left heel, but that’s not what it is, his centre shift from the rear lands into the inside front of his left foot, and momentarily goes past his left knee, again, from behind. Trevino was fantastic at that move and in my view, really is integral to getting the club to approach the ball from the right place.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrZ41y-8RsE[/youtube]

Great stuff here…

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCGYFHH6ezs[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTf0C1cdcD4[/youtube]

Didn’t want to start a new thread called “An Irresistible Force Meets an Immovable Object”, so this is kind of a revisit to this area to touch on feet pressures and leveraging.

I always liked that phrase because if I represent the irresistible force then what is the immovable object? It’s not the ball…well it is in a way because the ball is the ground you’re standing upon which happens to be a very big ball called a globe.

This is how I sense those pressures internally. If the globe is very dense in mass and weight, and more importantly is not rotating on any sort of axis and standing perfectly still, how then would I get the globe moving in the direction of the arrow? Easy really…have to download a lot of pressure into the ground first by lowering the COG, and while the R foot holds clockwise the left foot starts its action the other way. If the R doesn’t hold as it should, the mass of the globe is too heavy for the disconnected feet to have much, if any, force to move it. Something like this:
globe.jpg