Lee Trevino

check these putting tips from Trevino.

We talk about how awesome of a ball striker this man was.
I usually have a lot of trouble with fade breaking putts hitting they hard and past the hole and this man gives a good tip about “covering” with the toe.
I have tried it and it works!

youtube.com/watch?v=htBfYwJEwUs

Interesting set of instructions. Particularly struck by the techniques of grip pressures: LH grip pressure 2x of the RH for right-to-left putts, tight with both hands on uphill putts/slow greens, and light grip pressure on downhill putts. The other tips regarding ball position are noteworthy, too.

An entertaining teacher, too. You can’t help but listen.

I’m biased because Lee was my favorite golfer when he was in his prime… for all that has been said about his ball striking, he was a wonderful player to watch on and around the greens. A great ‘feel’ player. When he was on or near the green, he stalked around like he owned the place (And he usually did). He was always in motion - never froze endlessly over the ball… always moving. Very purposeful, never fussy. A real treasure of the game.

Thanks for finding this and posting.

Yes I agree, interesting tips, getting into specifics that casual putters dont think about.
The firm grip for uphill putts and light grip for dowhill putts is something I have thought about subconsciously.

Ball position is interesting as well. I tend to play off constant ball position on the green. Something I will have to give more thought about.

I have a tip I use all the time when hitting extremely fast or downhill puts. I hit it more off the toe than normal. This allows me to use my “normal” stroke, but hitting it off the toe takes something off the putt.

1 Like

I do the same to some degree — I don’t remember where I heard that tip, but it is somewhere from long ago.
I have found it doesn’t work as well with some putters that have a gigantic neutral sweetspot.
My favorite putter is my old Arnold Palmer flange. It has a very strong sweet spot inside of middle (you have to be careful because you can nuke a putt with it). Further out on the face, the less strong/sweet feel. Works well with that club.

I don’t remember where I got that tip either - I think it was a Golf Digest tip from the mid-80s. My putter is a Bulls Eye Flange putter. Nice and heavy with a good feel. Could never get into any others. I even tried the 8802 but never felt as solid as the bullseye.

I often wonder what John says about a closed face intention in the 430 entry. Versus open face ?

Trevino has the perfect hook entrance and slice exit. But he does it more from a closed face