Las Vegas TRGA Championship

The courage and wisdom of a real golfer and a damn good egg, 1T. An inspirational collection of words and thoughts… and pretty damn funny, too…
Thanks a lot for sharing…
B

Great post Teebox…you have a wonderful writing style…wish I was equally adept.

Sounds like not only did you have a lot of fun, but came away with treasurable insights.

Being “under the gun” so to speak in ways maybe unfamiliar, and your ability to stay with it speaks volumes, and although perhaps not readily apparent…will show itself in ways you may not expect.

Great job :smiley:

Way to go 1Tee. You are something. And I’ll say this, form my view, you are a scratch, or plus, handicapper when it comes to attitude and your way with words.

You must make a living at writing…no amateur does that.

eagle and all,

I am an amateur at everything, but all of you are showing me the way to grow.

Best to you.

Thanks for posting 1T. I am sure that meeting you would have been just as much of a pleasure for others attending the event. I hope to have that privilege one day at another TRGA Tourney or ABS get together. We would have a blast I’m sure. :slight_smile:

All the best, Arnie

1teebox

I concur with the above statements. Thanks for posting your experience.

1teebox-

Don’t let the lack of performance overall be too much of a kick to the groin. Thank you for your eloquently written experience. The crucible of competition and the desire to impress the instructors could probably take 99% of the blame. We’ve all been there - done that. Just remember, we still love you, value your insight and if all else fails…there’s always Hank Haney! :wink:

Captain Chaos (who bets Rush Limbaugh gets worse after his instruction)

Well guys I am back now into the freezer. Let me enumerate my excuses1) I had not hit a real golf ball after October (and I am no Lag); 2) I was playing with Titliest 1,3 and 5 woods that were flattend (by me) just before leavig with no prior ball play. The irons were a set of Wilson Pro Grinds (almost like the 1969-70) Dynas that Lag just gave to me in Vegas only. And 3)I took my fourteen year old daughter along for her first visit to Vegas. So we had different priorities but trust me I did more for her visit in the two days prior to the event than working on my game.
On the first day I shot a respectable 44 on the front nine but made another 55 (with an 11 on the par 4, 17th and think an 8 somewhere else). The second day I shot a 53 on the front nine with reasonable driving but just brutal play inside 100 yards and awful putting.
But the back nine was probably the best golf I have ever played in my 4 years career. I hit 8/9 greens and shot a 39 with 3 three putts from 30, 20 and 15 feet. I believe the greens at Las Vegas National are Bermuda (I have never seen those but the grass seems to grow straight up) and they were lightening fast for me. I did however save par on the one green I missed from about 15 feet. I had two good birdie looks from 5 feet and 10 feet but I was too scared of the fast greens and just wanted to park it real close to the hole so I wont have to worry about the par putt. The shots I hit into the three par 3s were 5iron, 5 iron, and a 4 iron. Into the the other greens were two 6 irons, three 9 irons and the best was a 3 iron from 220 yards out. So although my total showing looks like crap compared to many here on the forum, I feel like a million bucks.
As for the tournament it was great to meet 1Tee, John and his parents, Vic Wilk, Bob Coffin and of course Bradley. Me, John and Bradley went out for a nice dinner but could not find 1 Tee by then.
As for the rules they are just fine with one exception. Having the option to leave the pin in even for a short putt does not look very good in my opinion. And then someone who is further away takes the pin out; then the person closer wants it in. So it may be even more time consuming.

PS: I played both rounds with 1T and thorughly enjoyed it.

OneT and Macs,

Great stuff and thanks for taking the time to share it. ABS no doubt has many students who compete and probably equally as many who simply want to enjoy their casual rounds more by simply hitting it better. But… I can assure you that anyone who plays tournament golf understands what Bobby Jones said about “there’s golf and then there’s tournament golf”.

I give great credit to Macs and 1T for showing up… sans 460cc drivers, heel-toe weighted irons, and 49 inch putters. It’s all too easy to get wrapped up in a score or a final position after a tournament, but you guys were obviously able to take away a lot more from this experience than a few dollars in shop credit and that’s what’s important.

A favorite quote regarding competition is from Teddy Roosevelt regarding those who simply have the nerve to put themselves “out there”:

“It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.”

Well played gentlemen… I’m proud of you both!

robbo

Great stuff, Macs, sounds like all progress to me. Playing tournament conditions golf with old gear after only playing the game for 4 years is quite the undertaking. A few of those 9 hole scores are not only decent, but very impressive. Nice work, and thanks for sharing, man…
BOM.

btw, Robbo, that Teddy Roosevelt quote says it all. I’d heard bits of it but never seen it all in one like that … cheers…

What a wonderful way to start the morning reading 1teebox’s post, Macs’ account, and Robbo’s Teddy Roosevelt quote!

1Teebox, that was perhaps one of the most enjoyable and humble posts I’ve ever read on a golf forum. A wonderful back to office report that made me feel almost as if I’d been there myself.

Macs well done on your last nine holes - it’s always nice to finish a round well isn’t it? Gives you great enthusiasm for the next time.

I envy you both for having had the chance to see Lag and Two up close and receive their insights. One day I will make it out there in the distant future when I save up some money and have my kids packed off to University.

Cheers, Teddy.

1Teebox and Macs,

Thanks so much for taking the time to tell us about your experience. It seems sometimes we all get caught up in results instead of taking in the moment. It sounds like you guys took in the moment which is what is important.

1Tee, you as a former Marine who served our country will always be a stud no matter what you score on the course. You’re obviously a humble courageous person. You’re the type of guy I would enjoy playing golf and drinking a beer with.

Macs, no doubt you had your priorities straight and that is having a good time with your daughter. As a person with grown children, golf days—good and bad—come and go but what is left and the most important is family.

The neat thing about ABS is that it is a journey and not a sprint. We all know we are on the right track and receiving the best instruction. As Lag has said several times…patience.

Thanks again guys!

Well done guys!!

1T and Macs, thanks for posting. The scores are by products, what was great to read was how much fun you had participating. The TR quote sums it up, at least you had the balls to go get involved, much harder to do that than it is for the critic on the sideline.

When’s the next TRGA event? And just for CC, when’s the next gay rodeo event? :laughing:

The TGRA membership is too pricey for me! Not in dollars, mind you…it’s the initiation that’s a b!tch. :wink:

Captain Chaos

What’s the lowdown on Pat Sharpe…did he play this time?

Don’t know about him…but from the picture of him, he looks like he really knows how to load up for bear! I like it a lot.

Sharpe WD a week before the event… I think he had some financial problems as many do these days. I believe he played in the National Hickory Open last year and did fairly well. He’s a good player and played on many pro tours over the years.

I’m hoping to somehow get out there over the next few years and play in that. It might be a small pipe dream, but I would love to do it. To tee it up 2 days in a row with vintage gear where score matters would be a major thrill ride. Good going Two, Lag and Macs! Participation in that just shows how much of a traditionalist you really are and great playing ! To be able to come over here and read these 1st hand accounts is a real treat. Thanks for posting !