Las Vegas TRGA Championship

Congratulations Two, and also Lag! Nice student -teacher combo.

Good to hear from you guys about the tournament…looking forward to some more.

I’d say virtually all golfers worldwide (regardless of their golfing abilities, experience, age, etc.) would disagree with your rules philosophy…as well as your philosophy about equipment.

Ain’t it funny that TRGA’s stated philosophy is “Real Golf Played Properly”?

Even small children playing in golf tournaments don’t play such lax and altered rules. In fact, they are taught to respect and play by the rules of golf. You don’t have to like some of the rules, but my gosh - at least play by them!!!

It’s clear that you are against change on many fronts…and have many strange beliefs that only a small number of people agree with you about. Maybe that’s why your followers are so few in numbers. Ever thought 'bout that?

Once again GL is un-informed and off on another tangent. It’s not uncommon for junior events (PGA sanctioned) to use “max stroke limits” for a hole and rules such as “one try out of a bunker, after that place it outside the bunker”. Typical pace of play rules that hardly promote “disrespect” of the rules. Too bad more adults don’t adopt similar rules… we’d all get done with a round of golf quicker.

For one who isn’t a “follower” GoLow does a nice job of following threads here. :wink:

robbo

I think we have 466 forum members…and 465 of them are quite happy to read the pages and the ideas…there is 1 odd man out

Maybe you aren’t good enough to play persimmons and blades and would have to therefore take all those ‘funny drops’ that TRGA have on their rules list…??

and again until you back up your golfing background GoLow, I for one (and many (most) others who contribute to this forum) just view you as a frustrated antagonist… who finds it extremely difficult to be constructive in any forum topic conversation
It would be great if you would LayLow because I doubt you can Golow as your name suggests…this is a true golf website, not a place for time wasting and junk
If you have something incredible to contribute we are all ears…if you are going to continually attempt to be a jerk then we will not respond and wish you well in your quest
PS Lag doesn’t have a clue who you are either even though you suggest he does…probably wishful thinking…We look forward to your cryptic response :arrow_right:

I can say I have never thought 'bout that. But I have thought about the concept one too many lately. :laughing:

You really cant group all or even most of all golfers and apply anything to them except extremely generic things like… Maybe most of them like ice cream, but as far as the rules go they are widely debated. You can say whatever you like, but you are being presumptuous by grouping most golfers in one particular group in regards to rules, it´s a childish statement as far as I can see.

What are you rambling about man, they are talking the nature of the rules, and competitions with a different set of rules that would speed up playing time, perhaps the single worst thing about golf. Hardly a shocking thing to debate about but you mutate it and imply that there are people here that don´t play by the rules, silly really.

To me you are strange. I like these suggestions. I like suggestions that would speed up playing time, it´s not such a weird thing at all, it would help golf. I like the idea of using shorter courses that require more accuracy than power.

And why do you dislike this so much. Why are you bothered by preferences. So what if there are people out there, be they few or be they many, that would like to play according to these suggestions. They are not good or bad, they are just preferences on how to play a game, a great “gemme” but a game nontheless. You are welcome to post here, anybody is, but why bother if you don´t like it, you obviously don´t and we get that already.

GoLow,

When you play in a USGA event, you play by USGA Rules. When you play in a TRGA event you play by TRGA Rules.
Simple.

In the TRGA, the ball is ALWAYS played down. The only relief is if your or your club could be damaged by a cart path or sprinker head or metal box… but that is for ball only… not stance. I had to hit one standing on a cart path today with a 2 wood. Hit it 3 feet from the cup and made eagle.

The purpose of the rules is to simplify golf, not make it more complicated and eliminate the need for rules officials, and mainly to speed up play. It also allows amateurs and pros to play off the same rule book in day to day golf.

Metal spikes are allowed in TRGA events. Rather than banning them to get rid or spike marks, TRGA kept the cleats and allows players to tap them down. Someone dragging their feet in the group in front of you leaving a disaster on the green is not your fault. Tap them down. This has been debated for years. In the TRGA the debate is over.

The universal drop penalty speeds up play and takes about 700 pages out of the rules book. I used the drop one time in two days on the 18th today. Being two down going into 18 I had to make something happen on the final par 5. I tried to cut the corner a bit to give myself a chance at getting on in two, and hit a nice drive that took a nasty bounce right then just trickled into the lake on it’s last roll. Instead of dropping two club lengths, I went to the center of the fairway, and then back 30 yards and a stoke penalty… so it was much more penalizing really. I had to hole a bunker shot to force Bradley to make his par putt. I came close hitting it a foot from the cup.

On the 5th hole, the first round I hit a perfect drive into what would be obvious ground under repair. I was in thin mudded area right in the center of the fairway that most people would be screaming about, calling over an official and demanding relief. But instead I just had to play a very difficult shot and try to stop the ball on a very narrow depth green guarded by a huge bunker and a down slope to the pin. I sucked it up and hit a great shot to 15 feet and sank the birdie putt.

Putting with the pin in has been ok for most of golf’s history. The “in or out” option keeps caddies and others from stepping in lines and often distracting the player. I have seen guys wanting the pin attended from the fairway before. This slows play and is counter productive to a quick paced round.

There is also discussion about banning yardage books at the next TRGA board meeting. Many believe that yardage books and pin sheets are not consistent with the spirit of the game and allows the player too much advantage over the golf course itself. Part of the spirit of the TRGA is to put some teeth back into the golf course itself and make par a much more honorable achievement than what it has become. By enforcing tougher equipment restrictions, this puts “golf” more in the hands of the players ability than relying upon techology. Woods should be make of wood. That is why they were called woods. Not sure how someone decided they should be make out of a material other than what they are actually made of.

The TRGA has been developing over the years, refining and promoting championship golf in a much more traditional way.

Anyway,

Back to the event. I want to give congrats to Bradley for his fine play. It was fun to watch and I had a great time trying to regain the trophy and the winners check! I played good golf and did my best to put some heat on the last few holes making some key shots and putts to keep it close right down to the last hole. To be honest I was really rooting for us both!

Bradley’s game was solid. He drove the ball well, his irons were struck well, and he putted respectably.

No doubt the correct player took home the title!

It was a great time, and I look forward to my next competitive TRGA event.

Some interesting history on the TRGA site about the rules of golf that have inspired many of the TRGA positions on how to properly play the game of golf.

trga.info/reference.html

NEWS FLASH

Augusta National has decided that enough is enough and have written their own new rules to be used in the playing of The Masters tournament in April 2012.
Tournament Chairman and committee members have long debated that technology advances in golfing equipment had taken away Augusta National club founder Bobby Jone’s mental image of how the Augusta National layout was intended to be played.
“Each year we have to down wonderful pine trees and move tees backwards in an attempt to keep the tradition of the golf course intact”, said one anonymous member who didn’t want his name mentioned in print. “This all comes at great expense and the movement of bunkers has now hindered our normal member play where hazards are now positioned where they should not be for our members to enjoy the course. Our members are first and foremost in our minds and we realized we had to reel in this ‘distance is all that matters’ mindset and stop the insanity”
It is said that starting in the 2012 Masters Tournament the course will be shortened by 500 yards back to it’s ‘normal’ intended yardage. The Masters have also decided to implement their own golf ball that MUST be used by all players. The ‘Masters Ball’ decreases speed and carry and will reduce the distance the players hit their shots by approximately 10%.
“The Masters ball will bring Bobby Jones true intentions as to how this golf course should be played back to fruition” said another long time member.
The Masters committee also pointed a stern finger at the USGA with their intention to implement this change.
“The USGA has done nothing to protect the integrity of the world’s great courses by allowing these technological advances year after year. We felt if they would not make the necessary adjustments to bring the game of golf back to it’s intended standard we had to take the initiative. After all it is OUR tournament run by our members. We should have the right to dictate the rules and regulations set forth for play” said Tournament Chairman…
It is said that Augusta would even go so far as to stamp the ‘Masters Ball’ with any sponsorship logo that a player has in place at the time of the event so as not to infringe their contractual commitment to said company. So a Tiger Woods could still have his Nike swoosh slowly rotating end over end into the 16th hole, like during his miraculous chip in at the 2005 Masters.
The committee are also toying with the idea of introducing a drop zone near every hazard area where a player MUST drop their ball if their ball is positioned inside the confines of the hazard boundaries and the player cannot propel the ball forward with their normal swing. An official said “this would considerably speed up the pace of play during those times where a player takes 5 minutes to decide where he wants to drop a ball when in such a position”
It sounds like a great idea to many people who have been against the advances of the game over the past years and what better organization to do it than the Augusta National Golf Club. To quote from a famous sporting movie. “If you re-build it they will STILL come”

Obviously this is a BS post made up by me
BUT
is it really that far fetched?..If anyone COULD do it…Augusta could… because the rest are doing nothing to protect ALL areas of golf and it’s components

DO YOU THINK THE PLAYERS WOULD STILL TURN UP TO PLAY THE MASTERS ??? just because one organization changed the ‘real rules of golf’ on them

Two…you had me going. I was ready to buy some FJ stock tomorrow just knowing that steel spikes won’t be far behind :laughing: Shoot…I thought I had some inside information.

Good post…you must have an Orson Welles branch on your family tree!

Well played gentlemen! Wish I could have witnessed some of it!

robbo

Well played, lads, and Congrats to Bradley. First win back has to feel nice…

An aside, I just can’t believe how much time you guys spend entertaining the troll- ignore it and it will go away, and if it doesn’t go away, still ignore it. A quote I always think of with destructive personalities like this is by Samuel Johnson who was an old British writer/literary figure from the 1700’s. I’m no expert on him to say the least, but he had some great observations…

“Prejudice not founded on reason cannot be removed by argument”

You had me fooled also Two. That post needs to find its way into the hands of an Augusta National board member. No more spending millions on lengthening the course…over and over and over. Just get a new ball. Brilliant.

twomasters:

Heaps o’ praise for the win. Something to be said when the student beats the Sensei… .

BTW, your Masters branded ball idea is brilliant.

And while golf is the only big money sport that doesn’t have a standardized ball, making Masters only ball would work.

The exclusivity alone would sell it to joe public. Imagine, playing a “real” piece of the Masters. Guaranteed that would be the closest I ever get to the course. And about 60 million other golfers.

Here’s hopin’ someone on tbe committee gets wind of your idea…

Cheers,
hawg1

Congratulations Two and Lag. Well done! It would have been fun to watch.

Well done Two and Lag for playing so well and taking 1st and 2nd spot. Did you play the 2nd round together being the leading pair? That would have been fun to watch.

Pity this thread was deflected from it’s real purpose. As for the TRGA rules I think they are wonderful. I hate the existing golf rules and from what I can gather on forums elsewhere, so do the majority of other golfers who first of all can’t understand them all and secondly disagree with many of them.

How about macs and 1teebox - can we have their account of the event as well please? :slight_smile:

Well done Two… and Lag too for runner up…

You must be happy winning a tournament again with persimmons… I want to see some pictures please :wink:

Mac and 1teebox… you owe us some story :stuck_out_tongue:

Can’t say it any better than Bom has…both on the golf and everything else. Well done Two and Lag :slight_smile:

Cheers, Arnie

Well done Two!

Viva la revolution.