King Arthur's Stone

Thank you Lag for posting the recent YouTube video on slotting in transition, during which you made reference to pulling the sword King Arthur’s stone. Having been on the forum for a while I was familiar with the term, but always wondered - where exactly is the stone? And which direction is one pulling the sword?

From the video I might say the stone is behind your right back pocket, or even deeper behind you. And depending on how deep you are in the backswing, you either pull away from the target, or out across from you. Next question, do you ever feel like you are trying to pull the grip off the shaft with the last three fingers of your left hand?

I have often wondered how “pulling” is incorporated with “hitting.” Many have talked about pulling in the back swing. Sergio Garcia was taught to “pull the chain” but the question again is where is the chain? Up above, deep behind you, and where are you pulling it to.

This idea is also talked about with “pulling the arrow from the quiver”. I’ve always associated this with swinging, because once you pull on the end of the grip, the clubhead is coming around mighty quick is most likely out of one’s control - i.e. lost shaft flex.

There is a pic too, will see if I can dig it out of the nest.

I think the pulling from the stone really signifies how low you have to take the slot. Until you pull the sword out and go down and out towards the ball. Really justifies what many say about saving the pivot for later

Here’s the picture from my saved files, not from the thread which I can’t seem to locate. This picture is oriented the way it was originally posted, but I think it may have been Lag that subsequently altered the landscape orientation to where the sword was located as if more skyward, but I don’t remember the context or who actually changed the orientation, and that’s the picture-post I can’t seem to find.

sword

The discussion is basically about pulling the club out of its natural orbit beginning at the right hip pocket, or P3, all the way to the left hip pocket, or P4. Need to have juicy forearm strength to harness
that cyclone.

As if on cue, Lagressure posted this video with a good look, thanks to him as always. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks Ratter,
The video was actually the one I was responding too, but the Hogan swing from the other thread is also helpful. Rewatching the video again, I’d say the sword is in the ground behind the right hip pocket and the lower the hands are the better.

The word and motion of pulling resonates - when I feel that I’m swinging my best, it’s as if I’m pulling the grip/shaft back into my body/pivot. Naturally, this can only happen if you have space to use (arms/hands away, thus pulling back towards). Also, the club and mass feeling behind as if the hit is a levered action from a deep slot, rotating around. Pulling with left hand/forearm as the torso desperately outraces the forceful mass catapult of the strike.

The “pull” seems to be quite literal, almost as if you’re trying to bend the shaft around yourself and hold flex (p3-p4)

Thoughts?

2 Likes

Agree. Works even better by attaching your clubhead to a clothes line behind you with a retractable string. going extreme really engrains feels

Sometimes crossing the finish line first doesn’t mean you are the winner

1 Like

Great line :ok_hand:

Very cool description, nice one.

Amazing how counter to great ball striking ‘the current thing’ seems to be these days - I can’t imagine you’d hear these sorts of thoughts in golf thinking circles other than ABS.

1 Like

Can people describe their thoughts on getting the hands lower towards the right pocket? Is it just a matter of letting them drop with the knee bend in transition? I have always been a spinner which left me no time to get my hands lower which cause me to flip well before ball contact.

I always felt like the transition was like a running start towards the target. With upper body still closed off. Classic 430 mod 1 training. Does it look that way ? Not sure . But if the intentions are there than that is all that counts

Can people describe their thoughts on getting the hands lower towards the right pocket? Is it just a matter of letting them drop with the knee bend in transition? I have always been a spinner which left me no time to get my hands lower which cause me to flip well before ball contact.

Module 3 is really key here… if you are strong and fast post impact, then the drop down into right hip pocket becomes “understandable” to the brain. If you don’t have the guns on the other side, the drop can feel difficult and powerless.

If Mod 3 is strong and fast, then it actually welcomes a delayed entry into P3 because that increased the range of motion for more power, acceleration and ultimately holding shaft flex which puts tremendous feel into the right hand for much better ball control as well.

2 Likes