Just grabbed my 1st set of vintage irons...

The good news is at least I’m not dumping a lot of money… I just picked up a 2nd set of irons for $16… heck, the shipping was more than that :smiley: !!

I only play up to a 5 iron; so the way I figure it, I can now have two sets of classic forged irons built to my specs for under $250 (and that’s if I need to buy new shafts for both sets). That should cover new S300 shafts, Itomic grips, new ferruls, and the charge for bending them to the lie I need… pretty nice.

Here’s my 2nd purchase. Grabbed these a few minutes ago:
ButtonBacks.jpg
ButtonBacks2.jpg

I told my wife about the 2nd set and this was her quote (it didn’t matter that they were only $16 btw):

Wife: “Are they bendable?”
Me: “Why?”
Wife: “Cuz I’d like to bend them around your neck! Do not buy another set of golf clubs!”

:smiley: … gotta love it! Thank God Valentine’s Day is coming up… Presents heal all wounds.

Pinzer
dont rush to all the shaft chnging and so. Most of the old shafts are stiffer than todays standard.So even an R is between R and S of today. Just bend one of these to 5-6 degrees flat and bomb away. Do use the longer irons as ABS is basically designed for long irons. The short irons then are just abbreviated version of your long iron shots.

pinzer—classic

Hey Cheese–thanks a bunch for that post—Ill be looking to re shaft my dynas this summer–great info…
I knowingly bought mine in R flex thinking I couldnt hit a stiff…Now Im looking at X200s :astonished: LOL…go figger!!
bent

For those interested. I sent an email to Wilson’s service department asking about the standard setup of these two sets of irons. This was the response. I still haven’t heard from them about the hosel size.

[b]Here are the specs for the 1968 staff irons. Starting with the 2 iron…

loft lie
20.0 57
23.0 58
26.0 59
30.0 60
34.0 60
38.0 61
42.0 62
46.0 62
49.0 63 pw
[/b]
[b]For the 1972 staff irons starting with the 2 iron…

loft lie
20.0 57
23.0 58
26.0 59
30.0 60
34.0 60
38.0 61
42.0 62
46.0 62
50.0 63 pw[/b]

Thank you

Brought the “new” Dynas to the range for the first time today… here’s my report:

-I had to hit off mats so keep that in mind…

-The stiff irons of yesteryear are like X-flex today… do doubt about it.

-Ball flight was much lower, more of a piercing trajectory than I’m used to seeing. Probably a combination of the stiffer shafts and higher CoG

-I was 2 clubs shorter than my G40s. I expected at least one club short, but two was an eye opener. There’s a target at 144yrds that I usually pepper with my 9i, it was a 7i with the Dynas.

-Dispersion was WAY DOWN!! Maybe due to the module work, may have been a good day, might have been the shafts… but my God, there were NO hooks, slices, nothing… straight with a little fade or draw depending on what I was working on hitting. Beautiful!!! I hit the small target green at 144 yards with 13 of 15 shots with no ball further than 3 or 4 yards off line.

-The Gentleman hitting in the stall next to me stopped my after about 20 balls and asked what I was hitting. I told him a set of '68 Dynas and he kinda smirked and said “Wow, I think I have one of 'em in my garage…”
He then stops me again after about another 30 and says “Man, those things make a different sound when you hit 'em, huh? Can I try?”
Sure thing… here ya go.
He proceeded to chunk a few balls and says “Christ, it’s like swinging a telephone pole!” My turn to smirk… :wink:

So the jury is still out… I’ll have to get Dynas set up to my specs (heavier, flatter, shorter) and perhaps swap out the shafts (currently DG UltraLite Stiffs) for S300s or S400’s; and then really compare them to my G40’s (5* flat, DG S300, D6, 1/2" shorter than standard). If the dispersion remains as tight as it was today, and the G40’s can’t keep up; I might just have to bag the Dynas. But distance sure is addicting, and giving up two clubs is a real kick in the cajones.

Cloran