Jack Nicklaus Quotes

Jack Nicklaus was asked to explain the differences between certain golf courses on the Monterey Pininsula´s 17-Mile Drive. Nicklaus replied: “Pebble Beach and Cypress Point make you want to play. Spyglass Hill - that´s different; that makes you want to go fishing.”

[size=85]Taken from “The future of Golf” by Goeff Shackleford[/size]

Power is overemphasized in modern golf to a point where it’s become totally out of proportion to the basic nature and enjoyment of the game. Golf is a game of precision, not strength… Where’s the fun, where’s the challenge in just beating at the ball? Any idiot can do that and if he’s strong enough he’ll score well. That’s not what golf’s about. It’s a thinking man’s game.
[Esquire Magazine, 1973]

“The best way to cope with trouble is to stay out of it as much as possible.”

“One of the toughest types of golfer to beat in match play is the fellow who seems rarely to produce spectacular shots but who also makes very few mistakes. You know he isn’t going to throw a bunch of birdies at you, but you also know he isn’t likely to make anything worse than bogey, and not many of those. If you aren’t careful, this can wear down both your concentration and your emotional equilibrium.”

“I haven’t fundamentally changed my golf swing since I was 13 years old, but I’ve never stopped trying to increase my versatility as a shotmaker. Pride has never stopped me from seeking help in this area. Much of the knowledge I possess I’ve cribbed from other tour players, both by watching and asking.”

Interesting thoughts from Jack

“WHAT I THINK NOW
I love these illustrations because they’re so clear. The bowed position looks like Arnold Palmer. On tour now, it might be Dustin Johnson or Graeme McDowell. The cupped position reminds me of Johnny Miller. Today it could be Fred Couples. Throughout my career, I was either square or slightly cupped with my left wrist. I didn’t mind being a little cupped because your hands—and thumbs—are under the club, supporting it at the top. That allows you to keep the clubface square through impact longer. Miller was a great example of that. When you’re bowed at the top and your hands are on the side of the grip, you need a flipping or blocking action—flash speed at impact—to square the clubface. That takes tremendous timing, which is difficult under pressure. These players can play great golf when their timing is on, but you generally don’t want to rely on flash movement.
If you’re supporting the club at the top, the chances of the clubhead being on the proper path with the face square through impact are much greater. That’s what you want.”

1 Like