J. Douglas Edgar and The Gate To Golf

I was at the bookstore this weekend and noticed a new biography of J. Douglas Edgar. I couldn’t remember ever hearing of him before but was intrigued by the book. While I didn’t buy the book (yet), I did look him up and found some very interesting things on the internet about him.

• He was born in England. He won the French Open in 1914 and emigrated to the United States in 1918. He was the head pro at Druid Hills Golf Club in Atlanta, Georgia.
  • Won the Canadian Open by 16 strokes(!) over Bobby Jones and Tommy Armour
  • Was the first to beat Vardon and Ray on their tour of North America in 1920. query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-fr … 946195D6CF
  • Wrote a book, published in 1920, called The Gate to Golf which is freely available on Google Books, is a quick read, and has some insights, IMO. books.google.com/books?id=GS8PAA … q=&f=false
  • In the book, while he’s promoting a device he created called The Gate, his real intention is to dispel some of the mysteries of the golf swing.
  • There’s an interesting article (A Psychic Golfer) about him and some of his “unusual” theories. la84foundation.org/SportsLib … g2327k.pdf
  • He died at an early age (37) in a car accident. Probably the reason more people don’t talk about him. query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-fr … 838A639EDE

I thought I’d post something here since I found his book to be very interesting and I was shocked to read that some of the things I’ve learned from ABS were being taught be some of the bets 90 years ago!

Bonus: Interesting article that mentions J. Douglas Edgar, but also talks about hitting from the inside and how it relates to distance. golfdigest.com/golf-instruct … er_42yards

Nice research pavaveda! I enjoyed looking at the various articles. I couldn’t get the book to load for me but perhaps I was doing something wrong.

Cheers, Arnie

Thanks. Maybe this link will work instead: books.google.com/books?id=GS8PAA … q=&f=false

Certainly an interesting fellow.

Thanks for trying - sadly it just takes me through to a summary page with no obvious way of clicking through to the text.

Cheers, AA

Arnie,
You should be able to find it if you go to books.google.com and search for “J. Douglas Edgar”.
If that doesn’t work. I can email you the PDF that’s available for download.
Russ

I couldn’t find the complete book on books.google.com either;
but I found a different source :open_mouth:

http://www.archive.org/stream/gatetogolf00edgagoog

enjoy :slight_smile:

The pictures seem to be missing though :frowning:

Not trying to spam you guys :blush: , but here is a link to the pdf file with pictures and all:

http://ia310810.us.archive.org/2/items/gatetogolf00edgagoog/gatetogolf00edgagoog.pdf

Thanks for the link.

I had a quick skim read and it appears to be an older version of the 4.30 line Lag and others teach. I love the way those old guys express themselves :smiley:

Circle.jpg

The vision track is also a good way to see this

Pavaveda: Great link to Mr. Edgar, thanks…I love reading old stuff. I didn’t have any trouble finding it at Google-Books. I didn’t even know that Google-Books existed until your link. :laughing: Heck, they have a lot of stuff over there!

Styles: Neat picture!

I smell Georgia Pines in the air… :slight_smile: RR

This story is very interesting. It is likely that Edgar was murdered.

Someone had given me an article several years ago about Edgar, and I stumbled across it and contacted his grandson in England and bought the book, which included the “Gate”…a training device.

Tommy Armour said something along the lines of " Edgar will exceed us all." Edgar apparently was one of many UK pros that came to the US after WW1. Bobby Jones also knew him and said similar things. Jones grew up not far from Druid Hills, at East Lake in Atlanta. His teacher was Stuart Maiden.

Edgar has a grandson and son in the UK now, in the golf industry. I think it would be interesting for those nearby to look them up.

The book is a good read and short. There is an interesting aspect to it that I will go into later.

eagle

The murder story is what I believe the book I saw at the bookstore is mostly about. It’s called To Win and Die in Dixie.

Address-About_to_throw_the_ball.pngTop_of_Swing.pngSwing_Path_for_Straight_Shot.pngThrow_from_within.pngChoose_a_stance.pngCorrect_movement_thru_the_Gate.pngLeft_Hand-Power-Powerless.pngRight_Hand-Power-Powerless.pngAddress-Iron_Normal-Iron_Push.pngSee_the_Gate_in_your_minds_eye.png

Portrait-Parting_thought.png

Couple more…
Path_for_Iron.png
Previous image was for teed woods.
The_essential_part.png