Hybrid on the 72nd Hole @ 2009 PGA...

We need to start a new tour for real. The TRGA thing is nice but not being able to use my '92 Apex’s and Cleveland Driver is ridiculous. There’s a lot of money still out there and there needs to be a place where the competetion is a test of skill rather than technology. I watched the replay of the final round at Torrey and every player in the last 5 groups should have their card yanked after that series of atrocities. Sim laying up from 240 down 1 was an abomination, the last straw. I thought I was watching the hacks in the B flight at the muni. Guys like Tiger and Rory and some others should have a platform to show just how good they are and it never happens on the PGA Tour. That POS is broken beyond repair and needs to be blown up.

I thought the exact same thing wantching a PRO layup from 240 on the 72nd. Heck…he was prolly only 225 to clear water. Whatever…

Play is a joke out there at times. You can really see some players just out there trying to finish Top-10. They lay off down the stretch and play to the FAT of the green. For some reason I always get that feeling watching Scott Verplank coming down the stretch. Always content with a par…

They pay the Top=30 too much. 1st Place Money is perfect, but they need to drop it off so the guys go for the win a little bit more aggressively. There are all kinds of formula’s out there that keep Pro’s watching their “Player Rank” & where they sit with their “Status”.

A guy can make 30 of 35 Cuts…
Cash $20K a week…A WEEK !!!
Make $600,000 a year…

And finish OUTSIDE the Top-125. There is something wrong with that formula.

I’ve spoken.

I’d have no prob where every spot outside the top 10 that makes the cut gets paid an amount right around the total expenses for the week, say 5 thou then a scale something like this:

1. 250,000
  2. 125,000
  3. 75,000
  4. 60,000
  5. 50,000
  6. 35,000
  7. 30,000
  8. 25,000
  9. 20,000
  10. 15,000

Now ya have emphasis on finishing as high as possible and everything outside the top 10 is meaningless. Plus nobody is gonna get fat and happy with a bunch of 8th place finishes. A setup like that would make the cream rise to the top.

What ever happened to professional pride anyway? I was a little kid when Ray Floyd won the Masters in I think '78 hitting 5 wood into all the 5 pars and I’ve seen the quotes from bunches of guys at the time who were irate that he was even allowed to have that 5 wood in the bag. When did all the attitudes change? I missed it, that’s for sure…

Pride “officially” died when Tiger put a 5-wood in his bag…

Take a look at the OLD BAGS ((WITB)) from www.golfwrx.com. Find Jose Maria’s bag from 1994. Woods Bros. Driver…Staff irons LOADED with lead tape. I think he carried two 1-irons. A Staff & A Ping.

The 2-iron Tiger hit was likely 1-iron loft from “The Day”. But when Tiger put the 5-wood in his bag, everyone pulled their 2-irons and that was it. Done. Game over.

It suddenly became “OK”.

Too bad.