How to incorporate the mod work into our golf swing

Crow,

norcalvol pretty much nailed it. From my experience I can tell you that it has taken 2+ years of ABS before the drills translated consistently to results on the course. And I was not a great golfer when I started (slightly better than a bogey golfer). The common denominator on my really good ball strking days is Mod 3. I can be off on all of the other modules, but a dynamic Mod 3 will make up for other short falls in the swing.

By looking at your swing it looks like your shoulder rotation may be a little steep and stall a little from impact to P4. Really work on turning the shoulders level and with violent intentions. It will have a very OTT feeling. Lag often uses the example of feeling like the right shoulder finishes higher than the left. This cannot be understated and will make a huge difference in both power and accuarcy. Norcalvol’s drill is very good and has some Mod 8 intentions. Keeping working and it will come. And its a beautiful thing when it does!

Changing your golf swing is a slow, slow process, it takes lots of time and lots of effort. Anyone who tells you they have a quick fix or some secret is talking horse shit. Lag gives us the jigsaw puzzle, but it’s up to us to put the time in to put it together.

1 Like

So far (at Mod 3) my impression of the sequence of the swing is first there is down pressure into the right leg to trigger the downswing, then the arms and club “free ride” down to P3 as the hips begin to pull everything around to the left, then Mod 1 and 2 kick in to bring the club face into impact, and finally the pivot fires bringing the club through impact and up to the finish. I am finding that somewhere around impact the left arm begins to do an “orbit pull” to keep the club head rotating around. This is a very basic description based on my limited understanding. As others have said, Mod 5 and 6 are where we learn to get more of the sequencing down.

In viewing your sequence it looks like you fire into impact from P3 but your pivot isn’t staying ahead of the club. This is where I found the orbit pull feeling to be helpful. I try to feel like I am “chicken winging” the left arm past impact, pulling the club up to Pv5. This feeling adds some serious acceleration to my pivot. Using this in my Mod 3 the club rockets up to the finish.

Hope this helps. Like you, I am no great golfer struggling some days to break 100. Many moons ago I had a somewhat decent game where I was flirting with 80, but it was a stall and flip swing with no consistency. My only solace is listening to those who have preceded us like NRG and Grady. They give me hope that I may become a decent golfer some day.

Crow,

To amplify on my earlier post on this thread, and to lend some encouragement, make sure that you (re-)read the supporting text that is included in the Mod 3 materials…

There is a lot in here about delaying acceleration, and also there is a lot on other important concepts.

I just re-read this Mod 3 material again this evening when thinking more about your questions and challenges. You know, the first time I read the supporting materials that are included in the original emails for each module, I find that it is very difficult to relate to much of it because it is so new. In my experience, I find it very helpful to periodically re-read the material, especially the material for the module that I am currently working on. At different stages during the module, more and more is intelligible each subsequent re-read. In fact, I’ve recently gone back and read these materials for earlier modules, too.

I have to go around the block many many times. That way, I eventually begin to notice the scenery around me — all of it that I missed the first time. And I’ll bet that by the time I’m in Module 8, I’ll have a couple of re-reads of Mod 3 materials, and others as well.

And this is one of the beautiful things I find about ABS. We’re not taking lessons. Instead, we are enrolled in a program. We’re not listening to a lecture or taking a single class, but instead we’ve committed to going for the degree. And this is precisely why I decided to enroll at ABS, because it is not sold as some magic silver bullet.

As NRG most eloquently put it, “Lag gives us the jigsaw puzzle, but it’s up to us to put the time in to put it together.”

And in those Q&A’s contained in the Mod 3 supporting materials, Lag includes this as part of one of his answers to a student:

“…We take our time, we work on our highest ideals, and we get better as our body learns to move the club around our body in a much more advanced biomechanical motion than typical band aid golf instruction.”

No substitute for time, and effort over time. Patience with perseverance.

Crow ,

There are a lot of wonderful posts on this site from members in the private are Im sure would help you out.

However one thing I have found is that because of the vast amount of info , most of which is based on peoples feeling from their own swings, it is easy to get distracted from the focus of the course. Trust in the drilling and particularly really focus in on what Lag and Two say. Everyone on here is enthusiastic and keen to share their experiences which can be extremely incite full and also relevant IF they are starting the journey from a similar place as you. Simplify, go over the drill instruction clearly and slowly and execute as best you can. You will reap what you sow.

Thanks for this thread on ABS, I just started mod one from Bradley 2M, and will follow the conversation here. I’m on dirt as wheat, I"ve been a dirter for a year+ and its time to pick my poison and commit, and I was just wondering about this exact topic when I found the attorney…nbrandon…was 2 miles ahead of me as usual.

Its a shame that the Whankbots on Dirt clog the discussion, but then again trolling there BH got me to sign up for his mods. I guess people have to go through a blogging curve to appreciate the quiet serious and moderated atmosphere of an advanced blog. Its kind of the difference between a country club and a public muni, there is good golf at both, but at the muni, you better have a thick skin for stupid.

I’ve posted my swing many times on the dirt, and will move that over here, as I immediately try and encorporate my drills into the full swing.

I’ve found in my wanderings two gifted teachers on line, BHughes and Monty Scheinblum. For me, it was between those two, and being familiar with Dirt, I chose BH. My question at this point is: I’m 55 and have two feet destroyed by athritus in both of my big toes, (my only option is fusion of bones) and my right knee has been destroyed by basketball, and is loose. I can still walk 9, but have to ride mostly. I’ve been a swinger since birth, flipper thrower, but have moved flatter and eliminated most of the left wrist collapse, but it still rotates face closed immediately after impact, with a straight right arm immediately after impact. It will be a miricle on the orders of loaves and fishes if I’m able to not throw it. I’m working out and am committed to the mods and to the instruction. Any advice?

I played a tournament saturday at NCR Dayton Ohio yesterday, with the kid who won it. He’s a Monty Shcienblum follower, and constructed his swing around his and other teachings, mainly on the WRKS. Kid was a surgeon. Not long, but he was knocking flagsticks. I tweeked my back at 10, WDed, and stayed in the cart so I could see the course and watch this kid. Kid was completely connected post impact, swinging WAY WAY left club face to the target, it was poetry. He shot even. He had his drives in front of his left toe, and kept it open and connected past that.

Welcome Emmet/Wheat.

I think the key to your success will be discovered in Mod 2 and 3 - can your feet and knees support the pressure to create that cohesive body movement you witnessed. The flip is from your club and hands outracing your body pivot. Mod 3 will address that directly, but as you can see from some of the above posts, your hands and club will actually get even quicker by the time you reach that point.

I agree with you that it is a shame that Bradley’s thread over in Thunderdome has descended to its current point. I always enjoy Brad’s posts and look forward to seeing more. Like you it was through the Dirt that I found Bradley and ABS so I think his presence over there is a key marketing objective.

Guys thanks so much for all your replies. It means a lot. I took norcal’s advice last night and drilled for 1.5 hours focus mostly on drill 3. I then decided I needed to try the ball hitting drill and went to the range. hitting the ball from P3 using drill 1, 2 and 3 was pretty tough. I topped almost everything but a few were solid and straight so I was encouraged. I thought I’d try to hit a few balls with full swings and it was very eye opening. I tried my best to only fire after P3 by letting gravity take the club there and then I caught the momentum and fired hard with arms and a violent turn. It felt like I didn’t swing that hard compared to what I’m used to but the ball went just as far if not further than I had been hitting it. The ball also felt kind of heavy on the face of the club and like it sort of stuck for a bit. I was able to do this about 4-5 times and then lost it. But it got me really curious if I had understood the drills properly the first time. I have now gone back and read them and watch the videos and realized that I missed some really important points. I now realize that when drilling mod 1 in the past, I was generating way too much speed from the start and was guilty of over-acceleration.

All of your advice and encouragement have given me a renewed outlook so thanks again.

Emmet,

Really take your time to learn the drills properly for the first 5 months, that time is very important as you regularly have your drills reviewed by Bradley.
You need to drill hard to learn and strengthen, but don’t go absolutely mad with the reps during that time, you can do that later when you’ve got them right.
Trying to incorporate the drill work into your swing can be frustrating until you have a good feeling for drill 5.
As Bradley often says - it’s a marathon not a sprint. The longer you can keep it up, the better you will be. Think in terms of years, not months.

nick price gif and my video what is difference? note how price moves hands down 2 feet before hips move

pricey_zpsaacc641f.gif

youtube.com/watch?v=49NAkbOMqA8

Welcome Emmet…I think the difference is that there is a COM shift,which is a lateral move, allowing the arms to drop…then you rotate. There is some rotation in the COM shift, but not much. The hands should be rotating the club CW during transition, which also tends to retard body rotation.

Here is a drill I used to do regularly, and now that my shoulder is feeling better, I will be doing regularly again. It is basically hitting shots with a mod 3 intention.

youtu.be/NZ3P5HDvb7I

youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … HmT4LN–3g

would this be accurate, and equivalent to Center of Mass shift allowing time for hands to come down, during which time ABS would encourage cw rotation before and during transition, during the Montie “bump”

played 9 holes in my work league yesterday, irons only, just trying to feel like that nbrandon short back drill on elbow plane. shot one under, hit a couple irons, a 7 iron from 150 and a 6 iron from 160, both to 4 feet. Laser irons for first time this year. takes 10 yards off, but damn. I drastically modified my Mizuno’s, cut an inch 1/8 off end, and added a 7 gram weight to back of head, actually smashed some lead from an ingot flat with hammer and epoxied it. The shorter shaft sets up the sole flat on the ground with my long arms, and the extra weight, it feels like a Cleveland sandwedge with all irons now. I’ve been hitting 3 irons, covering the flag. Flipping and flapping still though. I’m trying swing down slow and hold angles then accelerate past ball with cw in right hand, abbreviate the follow through and hold the wrists from flipping. Mostly doesn’t work, still out of sequence, going to try the montie bump dump and turn today with cw.

I am finding that it is the active pivot post impact that keeps the FLW and prevents the flip. Prior to my Mod 3 work, I was very good into the hitting zone, then stall and flip post-impact.

Interesting thing I found with the “orbit pull” and the FLW - they seem to be intimately related. Think of grabbing something and pulling with your left hand. The pulling force straightens your left wrist. That is the feeling I try to achieve post impact.

You’ve mentioned before that you let the pivot do all the post impact work. I was reading in the support documentation that the arms get active after P4 and they become the 5th accumulator. Do you actively engage your arms in a vertical thrust to the sky? I’m imagining something like swinging an axe at the top of a door frame from the ground up.

Short answer is yes - once I get to somewhere around P4 I engage the arms to finish lifting the club up high. Longer answer - I am finding this orbit pull with the left arm to be a nice accumulator as well. Grady has mentioned to me that the left arm orbit pull actually begins before impact but right now I work that into my Mod 3 post impact.

pure_gold.jpg

I get the pulling left arm/shoulder back = FlW idea, I’ve tried that before, I can see that in Hogan big time, but I wasn’t ready for it, as I will explain. Went out today, and worked on transiton and COM moving forward from that tip from nbrandon, actually the best explaination on the internets is by Scheinblum, if 3 O’clock is the ball and 12 is the target, you move your tail bone in transition toward 10:30 and move your zipper away from the ball, then the hands drop and then the pivot squares the clubface ala Two’s videos and mod one. I get the pressuring down the right leg, but that does not do it for me, I need a push the butt way forward off the right foot while pressuring down to achieve the secondary tilt and all that good stuff. Before, I was just turning. The 10:30 move sets up the mod one drill position and creates space and time for the arms to lay off. So that’s where I’m at, working Scheinblum and mod 1, and for the first time, I really felt a connection to my butt and the transition, leading with the butt before the transition even begins, and slowing it down to allow stuff to sequence. 'Also, in a Scheinblum video he so well explains, keeping the shoulders 90 to the spine, which for me feels super steep back and then super flat at impact (like he says) , but I can’t really feel shoulders position at impact yet, but I sure feel insanely steep on the back. I’ve always been a flat turner, with no tension and a huge overswing. From this restricted 90 turn, I feel my left arm/shoulder under, and when my butt moves to 10:30, if I give it time, my arms move down and my pivot snaps nice at impact. Its a real nice feeling moving to 10:30 and feeling the upper body stay back yet move into the 45 position. Feels real closed but sets up a snap around to square pivot and I was either hitting it straight or with a little fade, even through it feels like a huge snap hook is going to happen, I’m feeling so inside at P6, I’m cranking cw my right arm to keep it open the entire time, cause it feels like a snap is coming, but it doesn’t.

Ok, so the pulling thing, I’ll get to it next time, pulling the rope back with the left shoulder and arm to achieve a FLW makes sense, and would keep the upper body back, but I’m still working on transition.

youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … XoW93m2HcY

I call for an internationally unified clock face. :ugeek: