Holding Shaft Flex... The Holy Grail of Golf

tgm may use a few pressure points but we use all 10 fingers in this forum. :laughing:

papi: said " tgm may use a few pressure points but we use all 10 fingers in this forum"

i donā€™t know who tgm is , all iā€™m trying to do is find out how to apply lag? (ten fingers can you explain ?)

i 'm also, in this forum , and iā€™m trying to learn all i can
i can use help

gabe193

TGM is The Golf Machine- a golfing theory book made about 30 years ago or more about the scientific principles of golf
Lag grew up as a student on TGM and will answer any question you haveā€¦
I have read the book and it was way above my range of thinking because of itā€™s haphazard shifting around from page to diagram to tie it all inā€¦however pressure points are described as the area we are supposed to feel the most pressure when we swingā€¦be it hands or armpits or whatever
I just donā€™t know enough about it for you to listen to my observations but that should get you started.

thankyou twomasters

maybe i should ask lag next time i have a ?

gabe

Welcome Gabe,

Iā€™d pop into the Letā€™s Talk Lagā€™s Golf Machine thread. Itā€™s a ton to read, but itā€™ll become clear pretty quick what ABS students are striving for and what TGM includes.

Have fun.

Captain Chaos

Two, do you ever feel any of these pressure points in your swing? The three fingers of the left hand? The right hand forefinger? The right palm against the left thumb? The left arm-pit?

I canā€™t say I have ever felt any pressure points with the gripā€¦ I did used to however split the webbing in between my right pointer and middle finger and actually used to tape those two fingers togetherā€¦so I am sure something was gripping and firing pretty hard by that happening although I never actually focused on it or felt anything out of the ordinary.
Doug Sanders also used to tape those two fingers together-- he had a short backswing and loaded like crazy coming down obviously putting pressure into that region
I never really focused on arm pit pressures or anythingā€¦as far as I know or really felt
I am not very helpful here am I :sunglasses: and certainly not a TGM poster boy by having no feelings of pressure points whatsoever :laughing:

1 Like

Iā€™ve been ā€œmonitoringā€ the pressure points as I go through module 1. By monitoring, I mean just being aware of the pressure and concentrating on that area. Iā€™ll typically roll through, 1 - 4, not changing anything in the drill but just letting my awareness move from spot to spot. It might not have any effect, but it keeps the drill from getting too monotonous too!

Some other notes ā€“ PP3 hurt like nobodyā€™s business after day one, after day two there is a callous building up. PP2 feels like it hits the bag the hardest. Not sure why!

Walt

Just look at the calluses on your hands ā€¦
there they are! your hand pressure points.

They will change as your swing improves.

Your grip will also change naturally from doing module work.
It pretty much takes care of itself. I do make adjustments if I see a need toā€¦ but for the most part,
your grip is a very personal thing.

I simply saw about 3693 different grips on tour play great golfā€¦ so itā€™s a bit naive to say it has to be exactly one way.
There is some very good ā€œgrip theoryā€ stuffā€¦about what might be advantageous for certain styles of golf swings.

Regripped some old crowbars yesterday to give them a go. Real tough starting out but started getting some success but not like normalā€¦kept at itā€¦things got better out of repetition. However, I noticed ball flight is really straight for the most part but would occasionally lose one left or right but not by much. I knew pivot was stalling, or working erratically, occasionally 'cuz, for me, when it does the left wrist breaks down a bit and then appears like a near full-roll hinge by P4 for my left misses.

Ended session with driver. Hereā€™s where it gets cool. Was standing there just kinda mimicking that picture of Lag thatā€™s on the first page of the site with the light beam. Thinking ā€œhow and the hell can I accelerate and pin that L wrist flat all the time at least through P4ā€. Thatā€™s when it hit meā€¦I remembered reading about ā€œripping it up the planeā€ on one of these threads ala Peter Senior.

Gave it a goā€¦thatā€™s it!! Should have put this in place from the get-go. Takes care of a lot of stuff. Found that by intending to rip it up-plane, it produced a very deep drop from the top with tucked elbow. But more importantly for me, my hands stayed cocked and didnā€™t even begin to fire until they were just inside my L thighā€¦so Iā€™m feeling that Iā€™m passing through P3 with no active firing of the hands yet and then all hell breaks loose up the planeā€¦pretty amazing stuff.

Driver was straight as an arrow. Did notice however that the higher I teed it up the more tendency to push it right. 2@3/4" straightā€¦3@1/2" push. Wondering if extra tee height produces a tendency to hold back the pivot a touch thus producing a little more rocking versus turning and ripping.

Going to put this intent on the irons next time out. Canā€™t wait.

My body is real sore. Starting to feel a little guilty about the scores of people Iā€™ve ā€œhelpedā€ over the years with this type of information lacking from the process. Have always known the differences between cause and effect but not to this degree. :slight_smile: RR

1 Like

Donā€™t worry, RRā€¦galactic justice will see that you suffer through at least a couple of lifetimes with regards to golf in penance for your well-intentioned tutelage of others. :wink:

Captain Chaos

Captain: wondered where youā€™ve been :laughing:

Now that I think about it, most of those people would not put the time in anywayā€¦they want the quick fixā€¦

Starting to really trap this stuff for my liking anywayā€¦ today I was hitting a laminate wood and it brought back a lot of fond memories. I put in a piece today that I donā€™t recall reading on this forum and it worked really well.

When I was setting up, I was locking my R elbow to my R hip and settling everything from that pointā€¦I know Hogan used to do the same with chipping and pitching. Works well with full motion set up as well, for me at least.

And after today, I think I now know why Lag and Hogan, and others have that bowed L leg appearance at address. Itā€™s pre-setting the pivot platform so that when turning and pinning the L arm from the top, it allows one to drop and load the pivot and then let 'er rip up the other side. Thatā€™s just my take on itā€¦in my own words to the best of my rat ability.

My friend from Golfweek stopped by todayā€¦heā€™s a hickory freak and plays a lot of those tournaments. He said he has 40-50 persimmons he just keeps for old time sake. Heā€™s bringing them up next week. He said he has Macs, and Hogans and others.

Canā€™t wait as I think he will maybe trade them to me for practice time at the range. Life is good to rats sometimes :laughing:RR

a quick vid also

[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/13843044[/vimeo]

We may be looking at the future of golfā€¦
These machines may take over and the players simply move them into position, align themā€¦ and then move them remotely
similar to how people are obsessed with model airplanes and such.

Since everyone is now shooting in the 50ā€™sā€¦ and technology always seems welcomed into the gameā€¦ why not.

Who wants to be limited by the human condition of soft tissues and bones, when machines may be able to not only propel the ball another 100 yards or more, maybe even driving par 5ā€™s in one shot. The invention of a new ball to withstand the extreme forces of 250 mph impact speeds will be good for the game, as the public would just love to see these kind of colossal launches.

For those who argue in favor of technologyā€™s ever evolving place in the game, would these same people argue against the game moving into this direction at some point and favor a more classical game such as people having to hit the ball themselves with their own body? In the year 2060, Iā€™m sure what is going on now will be very archaic, old school, and unfashionably retro 50 years from nowā€¦ back when people used to play the gameā€¦ or pilots used to actually sit in the airplanes.

What were they thinking back in the early 2000ā€™s? :open_mouth:

Lag
Is the machine release a swing or a hit??? I think it is a swinging motion at least post impact.

this picture is greatā€¦the shaft flex continues to be held
scan0080.jpg

Good question, Macs. Iā€™d like to hear the answer to that.

I am going with ā€˜swingingā€™ā€¦because iron byron has no body to rotate with ā€¦just one bolted on arm with no freedom of movementā€¦ but he does keep good shaft flex even beyond the ball

I go with a hit, because it is holding shaft flex, so there must be force being applied directly at the what one might view as the wrist socket. The first frame post impact shows no rotation of the clubface, or what would be an angled hinge or square to the shoulders if there were in fact a golfer there. The next frame has the machine quickly rolling the face over at P4, which would be more characteristic of a swingers protocolā€¦ but that would really be the tell all shot, because, is that flipping over passively or is that being triggered mechanically? Hard to say for sure without viewing a schematic.

It would be interesting to discuss this with the designer.

There appears to be a rib running down the arm, which might be carrying wires or hydraulic fluid to the wrist lever or motor. That would have to be know.

I still vote hitter, because even though the shaft appears to be pretty straight at impactā€¦ I believe there is a significant amount of pre stress thereā€¦ because the outward pull of CF has a straightening effect upon the shaft, which can tend to conceal it visually, but I still detect a bit thereā€¦ Homer discussed this in TGM chpt 2 quit eloquently.

Also, I would suspect a DTL view would show IB cutting it left really wellā€¦ or simply staying on plane nicelyā€¦ not dumping out to right field.

So is the defining point between swingers and hitters, holding the flex at impact? Is that the thing? So post impact IS irrelevant? Somebody tell meā€¦