Holding Shaft Flex... The Holy Grail of Golf

Very good notice, why do you think he was streaky and sprayed it the rest of the time?

Not sure what’s in Module 2, but looks like Payne’s (RIP) lower body is a little out of position- he missed the squat. Just an observation. Hey, I’ve come up with a new swing image which may help describe angular acceleration to and past the ball and the poor results if acceleration is lost. Let me know what you think. But first we have to go back to pre-school.

Remember Jack and Jill? Lets say Jack is on top of 45 degree hill and Jill is at the bottom of the hill but 45 yards off-line from Jack. Now you will have to visualize the right triangle formed with Jack standing on one end of the hypotoneuse and Jill the other, and the bottom of the hill representing the base plane line.

If Jack were to roll a bowling ball transversely across the hill (right down the plane line )on a direct line to Jill, the ball would have to be accelerated all the way to Jill. If acceleration is lost, the ball will be subject to outside forces and go off-line quickly (flex loss, toe drop, etc. ) much like a putt may fall off to the lowside. Kind of goofy maybe, but does this description work?

bobbyjones.jpg

Serge.jpg

Furyk holding the flex into a drive from the 18th tee at Augustajimflex.jpg

Hog Bunk.jpeg

Fantastic Post(s)----Thread.

Let me ask…

1. Is it the LEFT SIDE of the body that directs this “acceleration” ??
  2. How VITAL is clearance of the LEFT SIDE. Look at Furyk in that last photo ???
  3. Does “work” with a WHIPPY SHAFT help train the body.

I’ve worked with the Whippy Shafts before, but have had various results. I have felt warming up by hitting shots with ONLY my left arm swinging club ((I’m right handed golfer)) has helped me find better contact.

Thoughts ??

HPP

HappyGas: The short answer to your questions is no farther away that your local hardware store. Buy an old heavy sickle if you can find one these days. Then find a field with tall, narly weeds. Knock those weeds down with authority and pay attention to what is driving and what is powering the action- you are already born with those instinctive moves. However, with a light golf club in our hands it is very easy to overpower the club and get out of positions quickly. It is there that the modules @ ABS will be of tremendous significance for you. They will show you what dynamic positions you need to be in at certain points in time so that you won’t overpower the action. And many people get confused with the sequencing with such a light object in our hands. Think that covers it. :slight_smile: RR

1 Like

Iron Byron doing a good job of holding flex :astonished:
scan0080.jpg

I HAVE BEEN LOOKIING FOR THIS PHOTO FOR TWO YEARS!

I think about that photo all the time…

I used to have this posted on my wall above my bed when I was rebuilding my golf swing. It was that exact photo…
I was modeling my golf swing after it…

That just made my day!

Shouldn’t this thing have two pivot points or two axis or rotation in order to be a viable representation of the golf swing? That’s something I’ve always wondered about…

HeHe

Should it say TRUE HITTER instead of TRUE SWINGER :smiley: :smiley:

There’s no Y load in Iron Byron which can only be created by a shift of the axis of rotation. It allows for creation of distance totals where solid balls travel so much further with the driver in static conditions than wound balls when a proper ‘Hit’ by a Player gets comparable total distance in real world scenarios with FAR superior flight characteristics with the wound ball. I wish Iron Byron had never been invented.

Unless of course you have fast active hands through impact, then you can do it… hold flex…
Dead hand swingers? Can’t do it…

Lag, Two, or you ABS guys: Have a thought for you to consider…it’s one I’ve never been fully able to wrap my noggin around.

It probably isn’t the most significant factor in the grand scheme of things but it has always puzzled me as it relates to accelerating a flexed shaft, or any object for that matter.

In bowling a 160 pound person rolling a 16 pound ball is accelerating an object that is 10% of their body weight, whereas a 120 pound person is stapped with rolling an object 13% of their body weight. The acceleration advantage goes to the larger person.

I know there are many factors like strength, coordination, etc to also consider…but I always kinda thought that somehow deadweight should be tied to a persons body mass in some fashion but not sure how, or maybe rules won’t allow it, or gear specifications are basically maxed out given their static dimension. I know, kind of goofy…but hey, it’s February. Any thoughts out there? :slight_smile:

Well, first there is a huge difference between swinging a 14 ounce persimmon driver which I use at 160 pounds… and slinging a 16 pound bowling ball.

With the addition of CF into the equation, we increase the feel of the mass effectively… so that we can clearly feel the difference between three and five pieces of lead tape onto the club…

But I agree, that dead weight is very critical, and we all need to find our optimum dead weight that we can handle… but we must also realize that our body will also adjust and respond over time to us swinging a heavier club… so we should error to the heavy side when picking or setting up our gear.

I have heard that Knudson swung a driver over 16 ounces, and I remember holding one of Moe’s drivers that I know was much heavier than anything in my bag at the time, although I never weighed it.

However… I am very opposed to students swinging weighted clubs… meaning the ones that weight 5 pound or more… because we really want to develop our feel of the club itself to be that… exactly of a golf club… not a heavy weight.
There is clearly a point of diminishing returns… I think this was figured out back in the hickory era… it wouldn’t take long to figure this out with a craftsmen handing you 10 clubs from super light to way to heavy… even if they were hickories.

I know there have been studies done about this where both golfers and baseball players have lost speed working with super heavy practice devices… I think Bio posted some stuff about that back in the LTLGM thread somewhere if anyone wants to research that… it’s in there somewhere…

Super heavy practice clubs?
it’s really not necessary… so let’s keep our feel for a real golf club intact…

Lean toward heavier gear, but stay away from heavy practice clubs or swing aids.

Lag here’s an article I found (yes researching baseball, sorry it’s my sport, and it helps me understand golf mechanics) that talks about overload and underload training. Confirms your thoughts on the negative impact of training with a heavy club. Research has shown that training with a weight 20% above and 20% below the weight changes the biomechanics of the movement. So based on this research optimum training will happen swinging a club that is 20% lighter and 20% heavier than your preferred swing weight.

sbcoachescollege.com/article … eball.html

I don’t see that RR. Rather, it all being about strength, coordination and leverage.

In fact, injuries growing up in the martial arts quickly taught me it was always the lighter guys that punched quicker, and moved quicker, the heavier guys punched harder–both to be respected in their own ways. The heavier guys, although stronger, just can’t accelerate their heavier leg or arm as fast. It’s like they’re 50% heavier but only 25% stronger if you know what I mean.

So again this leads into the heavy hit argument.

Personally I feel we all have our ideal weight we feel we can propel the ball farthest with the most repeatability. Our ratio of fast twitch to slow twitch fibers, our sequencing and the different strengths of muscles involved in the chain. I don’t know anything about bowling, but I presume people choose their own weight balls, some bowl slower balls faster, some heavier balls slower?

If the golfer wore a heavy vest, say a bulletproof vest, that would merely slow down his pivot. If the golfer trained with this vest, he would develop a lot of core strength and if the shaft was strong enough, he’d have more chance of moving a brick. But a ball offers little resistance. It bounces and is outta there.

Makes a lot of sense Papi. I also remember regularly reading a long-drive forum where the rage once was to train with rebar, martial arts training staffs or that momentus weighted club. But with time, those who did found their swings destroyed. Different muscles were being recruited to move the heavier mass to the ones they normally used to swing with.

Great responses guys: Thanks…

I understand the increase in feel in effective mass, and I agree with the weighted clubs, rebar, etc, being perhaps counter productive.

That wasn’t my point however…Again my ability to convey with words is lacking. That’s just one of the things I admire in Lag…his ability to convey his thoughts into words…a great skill set!!..and will make his book a great read. When is the darn thing going to print?

That said, let’s the approach this a different way…it’s been long while since I checked but wasn’t Dynamic TT’s about 130 grams back in the day…why stop @ 130…couldn’t they have maybe gone to 155 ( with compensating head weight changes ) without destroying the integrity of motion…and 155 is way lighter than rebar or weighted clubs?

Guess I have to ponder this some more in order to arrange my thoughts a little better :slight_smile: RR

is it the right forefinger and the left thumb, that applies all the pressure?

also,for all you new guys take a look at cheesedonkey’s m1 vids.(good info)

i do just before i go out my garage and hit the bag gabe193