Henry Picard

Henry_Picard.jpg

Picard won both The Masters and PGA Championship defeating Byron Nelson in his prime while it was a match play event.
The North and South Open was considered a major championship in it’s day. Therefore he did in fact win 4 majors… not just the two he is credited with in the modern view. The World Championship of Golf at Tam O’Shanter Country Club was also a major in it’s day that Hogan won twice and should be credited as majors.

Picard was one of the dominant players in the game in the 1930’s. Right at the birth of the age of steel shafts. Picard is credited as having one of the first classic modern golf swings, and in his later years became one of the games great instructors.

Would love to discuss Picard here… his life, the new book, his swing, and teaching philosophies. Hogan dedicated his book “Power Golf” to Henry Picard… even though Picard stated he only weakened his left hand grip to stop his hook. He also explained to Hogan that if you swing on plane, the harder you hit it… the straighter you will hit it. Sounds familiar.
Picard himself credited his success to Alex Morrison whom he studied under like a golfing acolyte.

Who wants to tee off on Picard?

I’ll tee one up on Pic…
Picard won both The Masters and PGA Championship defeating Byron Nelson in his prime while it was a match play event.

McGee: True Both victories are covered almost blow by blow in The Hershey Hurricane. It is really fascinating stuff, especially considering that the PGA Championship was played at a place that is now roads and parking lots and apartment buildings (Pomonok Country Club in New York)…Below is an excerpt from the book about the 1939 PGA Championship, which featured a combined 20 birdies and 2 eagles between Picard and Nelson!!!

“The thirty-six hole match play contest lived up to all expectations.
Henry got off to a steady start, and quickly went one up
after one hole of play. “Man, Byron, you can’t start me
one up and win,” he told Nelson as they walked off the first green.
Evidently, Picard’s talk got in his opponents’ brain, because Henry
jumped out to a commanding early lead. Nelson struggled from
the beginning of the round and was forced to write down bogeys
on three of his first six holes, but he was a warrior and fought
back with the temperament of a war veteran. An eagle on the 275 yard,
par-four ninth hole, gave Nelson momentum, and the well-liked
Texan climbed his way back by the end of the morning round;
only 1 down with eighteen holes to play.”

The North and South Open was considered a major championship in its day. Therefore he did in fact win 4 majors… not just the two he is credited with in the modern view.

McGee: I found the same, and discovered a couple other Pro wins that didn’t “count.” I did not address this in the book, though, as “it is what it is” and good luck changing it……

Picard was one of the dominant players in the game in the 1930’s. Right at the birth of the age of steel shafts. Picard is credited as having one of the first classic modern golf swings, and in his later years became one of the games great instructors.

McGee: True on all fronts…. His classic modern golf swing was born out of being a great athlete who spent alot of time mastering his trade, but more importantly, came from watching Bobby Jones…There is a sequence in the book that covers this, too, and it’s a beauty!!!

Hogan dedicated his book “Power Golf” to Henry Picard… even though Picard stated he only weakened his left hand grip to stop his hook. He also explained to Hogan that if you swing on plane, the harder you hit it, the straighter you will hit it. Sounds familiar.

McGee: Sounds real familiar!
Another excerpt, this one a real beauty, too!:
“Exhausted upon his Pinehurst arrival, Henry was looking
forward to some rest. When he pulled into the parking lot, however,
there was Ben Hogan, flipping a cigarette onto the ground.
Hogan had a desperate look in his eyes. Ben insisted that Henry
play a practice round with him so he could get feedback on
his swing before the tournament. After Picard’s lesson on
how to hit a consistent fade, Hogan was now slicing the ball way
more to the right than he could tolerate.

Pic was tired and really wanted to rest, but obliged because
he was an honorable person and sincerely cared about his friend.
When the two arrived at the first tee, Henry lay down while they
waited for the group ahead of them to clear out of the way. When
he got to his feet, he pulled his wallet out of his back right pocket,
and threw it down on the expertly maintained tee box. He
fixed Hogan with a steely stare.

“I bet you all of it you can’t out drive me,” Pic told Hogan.
Hogan wound up and hit his drive far, but too far to the right,
again. Pic picked up his wallet. “Make it a little tougher on me,” he told his student.
“This time,” said Henry, as he flipped Ben another ball, and
Hogan placed it on the tee, “hit it as hard as you can—whip
it!” Ben did as he was told and his ball smashed off the clubface.
It sailed through the air both straight and far. Turning up the
power closed the clubface, which in turn helped Hogan add dis-
tance while not sacrificing accuracy with his driver.”

Picard himself credited his success to Alex Morrison whom he studied under like a golfing acolyte.

McGee: Yes, and there is basically an entire chapter devoted to Mr. Morrison, who was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of his time!

More to come as time allows, but the book basically covers most of what everyone wants to know (and then some).
Thanks for your support,
Seamus

Great stuff! Henry once showed me a picture of Jack Niclaus post impact, with his right heel still on the ground, leaned inward. He commented, “That’s why he was better than everyone else.”

Good topic to examine Mr. Picard’s lineage.
Excerpt from The Hershey Hurricane:

"Grout became Henry’s assistant at Hershey in 1937, and was
a wonderful and reliable person with a great sense of humor.
Henry got along famously with Jack from the start, primarily
because he respected Jack’s passion for learning. Jack Grout’s
boss was in fact the person who introduced him to Alex Morrison.

Grout began to work with a youngster named Jack Nicklaus on his golf game
when he participated in his youth program, after Grout had become head pro in Ohio.
It is a relationship which lasted a lifetime. Suppose one could
say that, in an indirect yet real way, Morrison and Picard were
really the ones who taught Nicklaus to play."

It’s amazing how many golfing lineages all lead back to Alex Morrison. I have one his books and its in my Top 5 of all time golf books. Compared to modern day golf teaching books it read more like a novel (i.e. very few pictures).

Morrison’s lineage would be unbelievable to trace, but what is tragic is that many teachers of today have no idea who Alex Morrison even was…
Excerpt from The Hershey Hurricane about Morrison:
“The Golf Channel would have likely had a much-viewed segment
called “Better Golf without Practice” had Alex Morrison
been alive after its inception. In fact, his book, Better Golf
without Practice
, continues to be recommended literature for any
golfer who wishes to improve. However, Morrison’s book A New
Way to Better Golf
was a personal favorite of Pic’s.”

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/AmericanGolfer/1934/ag383i.pdf

I sent this link to Bom about 6 months ago…we had a long discussion about it via private messaging. I should have posted the link publicly…

Andy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGIZ2HaHhn8

He has a very nice swing…

Picard learned the “rolling the ankles” from Morrison. It’s certainly a viable concept that encourages a bent or flexed left knee at impact which needs to work in tandem with a flatter shoulder rotation to maximize it’s benefits. Johnny Miller was a classic example of an ankle roller in the modern era. It can do wonders to aid in stabilizing lowpoint.

Hogan evolved into finishing flat on top of the left foot and Knudson followed that lead. A wider stance allows a flat left foot finish… Knudson noted digging that one out of the dirt.

“We must learn to hit the golf ball with full power under
control. Balance is critical in learning to hit the ball far and
straight at the same time. And good balance begins with
good footwork. Good footwork requires rolling of the feet.
To exaggerate this process, I require new students to roll their
feet, keeping their heels on the ground. This practice allows
the student to properly shift their weight and also facilitates
the necessary body turn, without the loss of balance. In addition,
I have always required my students to hold the finish
after hitting the golf shot. This practice helps prevent overswinging.” --HG Picard

One of the problems I see in the modern era is the change in golf shoes from steel spikes with a flanged hard leather sole that extended out from the uppers to plastic spikes that don’t grip the ground as well and more rounded edges around the base.

I would guess Picard would not like today’s golf shoes. The classic golf shoe design would seem much better for a rolling action of the feet in my view because it would offer some resistance to the roll itself ultimately making it more effective.

I cannot say for certain if Mr. Picard would like todays golf shoes or not, but can guarantee he would have worn them well! He was a “styler”!! galdepress.com/wordpress/?bo … -hurricane

Really honored to have this review written by 2010 MNPGA Teacher of the Year, Michael Herzog. Michael is obviously a gifted teacher, but more importantly, he is a class act. Truly, he’s a modern day HG Picard!!!
teetimespress.com/main.asp?Secti … icleID=180
Thanks,
Timmy

I recently read, no, strike that, consumed the new book, “Hershey Hurricane.” It was a pure delight. If you love history, if you are fascinated by human interest stories, you gotta read this. Having known Henry Picard for five years, the book helped me flesh out periods of his life I was unaware of. Imagine the toil and sacrifice of early tour players.

Its about time someone pay attention to this great unsung hero. Henry was a great golfer. He had a terrific golf swing, always in balance. He believed in certain fundamentals and never swerved from them. He, most importantly of all, was a wonderful human being, who cared for his fellow man and worked tirelessly to help others at golf…and life.

I highly recommend reading this wonderful, well written study of the life of ones of golf’s most important and fascinating pioneers.

I’ll be doing a review of the book soon after it arrives. I’m looking forward to it.

Bob,
Thanks very much for your kind words about THH.
As I indicated in the book: “I did not write the only book about Henry Picard’s significant golf career to win awards or get approval. Simply, I wanted to give my fellow golfer the opportunity to learn from Henry Picard and all of his friends.”

I mean it when I say that every Hogan loyalist, apologist, fanatic, or fan NEEDS to read this book.
Buy a copy at www.henrypicard.com and I’m sure you will agree.
Sincerely,
McGee

John,
I am looking forward to your input about the book! I am confident that you’ll be inspired by the content, and certain you will understand why I am so passionate about it. It’s not about me–It’s about Pic and Grout and Morrison and Revolta and Frank Ford, Sr., and and and and and!!! getting the public recognition they so rightfully deserve!
Timmy