Henry Picard The Hershey Hurricane

HHFrontCover-326x500.jpg

Henry Picard The Hershey Hurricane is an insightful book into both the life and times of the Master’s and PGA Champion.
Author Seamus McGee felt moved to tell the story of Picard who many feel has been overlooked or not given proper historical significance in the game of golf. Along with great help from Jim Westbrook and John Birmingham who both knew “Pic” very well, McGee was able to compile enough historical material to write a proper book depicting the life of Henry Picard. McGee was also able to gain access to a detailed scrapbook and manuscript from The World Golf Hall of Fame to further the completion of research needed to complete the work.

While most golf aficionados know of Picard from Hogan’s personal dedication to “Pic” in his epic “Power Golf”, few know of his accomplishments both as a player, teacher and humanitarian.

The book chronicles Picard from his youth learning from legendary instructor Alex Morrison, as well as having a close relationship with Walter Hagen.

The Hershey Hurricane is a “Who’s Who’s” of 1930’s and 1940’s golf. Pic was considered by many in the 1930’s as the player of that era. While Pic’s accomplishments certainly speak for themselves , they were in fact cut short by WWll, as Pic served his country and set the clubs aside right during the peak years of his playing career.

I enjoyed this book immensely. It really transports the reader to a time when golf was golf. When players played for the love of the game, and honor meant more than money or fame. The book is filled with great stories not only about what happened on the golf courses, but also off the course. The difficulties of roommates traveling by car across the nation with
little or no money, and the friendships that developed along the way that bonded these early golfing legends with deep friendships for life. Some of the chapters were reminiscent of Kerouac’s “On the Road”… but written for golfers.

When Pic retired from serious competition, he took up one of the most successful teaching careers in the history of the game. Pic’s connection to Hogan was both early in his career as well as later in life when Pic took the head pro job at historic Seminole where Hogan was a member. Their friendship and respect for one another clearly was of importance to both of them.

While this book is not necessarily an instruction book, there are enough tidbits of insight to make it worthy of such a categorization.

I would highly recommend anyone read this book if they are interested in how to think and play the game with confidence.

I would like to thank Seamus for taking the time to document and write this insightful book into the life of Henry Picard.
It’s inspiring, educational, historical and most of all clearly created out of both a love for the game and a true respect for one of golf’s greatest player’s, instructors and gentleman.

galdepress.com/wordpress/?p=617

John, Thanks very much for your kind words about The Hershey Hurricane, as well your compliment for my assistance on the project. The book was really fun to write, and I believe every golfer can benefit by reading it, as they will learn a ton not just about the players of the era, but the legendary course designers, caddies, and “the birth of modern golf.” The compliments which have come in from those who have read the book so far have been inspiring! Here are a few of the most recent statements that some class acts in the game have made about the book:

Michael Herzog, a committed PGA Professional from the Minnesota section, represents something similar and familiar to Mr. Picard. Here is a review he wrote, which captures our ultimate mission: teetimespress.com/main.asp?Searc … nID=30&S=1

Chris Foley, PGA Master Professional, who is now teaching down in South Carolina, also “has a little Pic in him.” Mr. Foley recently tweeted that “The Hershey Hurricane is a must read for every Hogan fan.”

Tom Abts, PGA Professional from the Minnesota section, a “Pic” that Henry would have loved, was kind enough to give this input about the book.’ “The best thing you did was told the story while staying out of the way.”

Nathan Ollhoff, PGA Professional from the Minnesota section, has been a big help throughout the process of writing the book. When it was complete, here is what he said, which is the reason the book was created. “Henry Picard is emblematic of all that we as PGA Professional’s strive to be, a great player, teacher and most important a gentleman.” Nathan, too, would have been a guy that Henry Picard for sure would have been happy to assist.

Barney Adams, the noted pioneering engineer, read The Hershey Hurricane and had this to say about it. “I’m a big fan of reading about players of the past. They didn’t have the total media exposure of today and we don’t know much about them. Golf is a big part history and books like this fill a gap.”

I’ll write more as time allows, but please get yourself a copy of the “Pic book” at henrypicard.com
Thanks for your support,
McGee

Sounds great, have ordered a copy and really looking forward to reading it.

Cheers, Arnie

The guy I buy my golf gloves from to sell in my shop came into my office the other day and saw all the old pictures and swing snapshots i had on my wall…and remarked

“That’s awesome…real old school stuff… Henry Picard would have loved that kind of stuff” …he said “Have you heard of Picard”…to which I replied “Of course”.
He thought that amusing that someone my age would have even heard of Picard so i asked him why he mentioned his name exactly.
Find out this guy worked at Seminole as an assistant/gopher for Picard for about 3-4 years…we couldn’t get to talking too long as he had to head off to another appointment, however I am going to try follow him up and try talk more about it… that stuff is very interesting.

Would love to read this book also… I have a big collection of about 400 golf books and think this one should be added

Picard is the one who gave Sam Snead the famous driver the saved him from the snap-hook purgatory that nearly ended his career. From “Education of a Golfer”:

" ‘Your hands are too fast for such a light and swingy club," declared Henry. "ive got an Izett driver in my cafr that might be the answer for you.’ … The Izett was a true-tempered model, stiff-shafted, and a regular telephone pole in weight at more than fourteen and a half ounces; the loft was a normal eight degrees and the length, forty-three inches-likewise"

He aslo famously backed Hogan by promising him financial assistance if he nest egg ran out on the west coast swing.

Truly a man who left his mark on the game.

Please tell the man from Seminole that I’m 1/2 way through a second book and would like to talk with him. My contact info is in the back of book. Also, please let him know that John Birmingham from Seminole and Oakmont wrote the foreword, and is mentioned significantly in the last chapter of the book. I’d imagine he’ll know JB. Get this book. If you like “old school,” thi is it all the way!

There is alot more to it than just those two stories. They are in the book. Enjoy!

Anyone have some swing photos or sequences of Pic’s swing?

I have about 4 swings of Picard in this old video tribute I made and have on youtube…starts around the 1.00 min mark…don’t think i have any pics as yet?
bit of a Lee Janzen look to it IMO

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuppyT_GxJM[/youtube]

Wish I had this book to read while I am hunkered down in Hershey Pa. due to a hurricane. :unamused:

True story, This morning I left my home on the Jersey shore due to a mandatory evacuation of the island. Seems that hurricane Irene has taken dead aim and is headed my way so I loaded up the cars and the family and drove 3 hours west to Hershey, Pa.
I must say, the ride was spectacular. The lush rolling hills of Lancaster county with the white washed barns, horses in green pastures, cows in endless fields is truly something to behold at this time of the year. For me it is home but I am still surprised by its profound beauty. It is no wonder that Mr Picard and Mr. Hogan chose to call it their home (away from home) for a moment .
When I arrived at the hotel I pulled into a full parking lot and when I got out, lo and behold, there was a bag of tees on the ground at my feet :sunglasses: Now if that’s not a (good) omen, what is :question:
It’s been raining lightly since I arrived but before I leave I am definitely going to dig around in the dirt a little. You just never know, maybe Picard and Hogen buried their secrets around here somewhere.

Keeping my wedges crossed that nature takes its course and leaves my peeps and my $#!T alone :smiling_imp:

Hmmmm, I just heard on the news that tornadoes are touching down on my barrier island, a little too close for comfort !!!
First it’s earthquakes then it’s hurricanes now it’s tornados.
Any soothsayers out there?

Dani said

I hope it turned out OK.

Hershey Hurricane…I’ve ordered the book, looking forward to the read.

The book came in the mail recently. Everything John said in his review I agree with. Seamus does a great job of conveying what a fine man Picard was, as well as a top golfer who could compete and beat those in his era…Nelson, Hogan , Snead, and others. But he would teach and support them also. As he said of his lesson he gave Snead…that cost him more than any lesson he ever gave. The fact that Hogan dedicated his book
to Picard speaks volumes, as well as recommending him for the head pro job at Seminole, saying “Pic is my best friend.”

The genealogy aspect of teaching is interesting also. Apparently Picard was greatly influnced by Alex Morrison, and Picard in turn helped Hogan , Snead, and Jack Grout, Beth Daniel, and many others. This line of influence occurred to me…Morrison-Picard-Grout-Nicklaus-Norman-Hughes-ABS students. Is that a stretch?

Seamus states…“Pic was the best of the best.” He makes a good case for it.

It sure was a very pleasant and educational read. It’s certainly a must read for anyone interested in the history of the game particularly anything beyond the age of hickory.

Picard should be an inspiration to all.

I will …and next time I see him come in with his stuff I will see what I can do to help out

Gents (and ladies), Thought you’d like to hear this recent radio interview: bit.ly/qLxhBh Gracias. McGee