Hand Action During Release

Paul u talking mod3

Yes, thinking module 3. I think it’s the most critical one, really do. You have it. Take that still shot of you post impact, the one with the circle around the clubface. You freeze it there and drop that clubhead down to the ground, as a drill, and you’re square to the target line. Good stuff.

I really think a lot of this is illusional, what Jim Waldron talks about, 2D, which will kill the motion. But you know that.

To break that illusion, to see it, is to be up-range from the player, at a 45 degree angle, looking back and watch the motion. Fats talks about it, being square to the rotating arch. Over-aggressive shaft lean is a byproduct of the 2D illusion.

Yeah, after impact the back goes into extension, along with the thorax and pelvis, as left shoulder goes down creating left side torso crunch.

Love your work.

Paul,

That was an excellent post…wish you would contribute more. Extension is an interesting subject. I know SVSV was always after me to get more of it, when, if anything I needed less of it. Less of it because extension, at least with an ABS protocol, is not something to chase. Indeed, in a sense you resist it, but it comes nevertheless. Of course, he wanted me to use vertical shoulders and chase the target with my hands. I came to ABS with that thinking. I think SVSV was always well meaning, but, like most armchairs, was reciting dogma untarnished by experience.

Thanks, Grady. I come at it from the opposite–not enough extension. You have it, John has it, it’s really about when at a point at the top and after impact. Everyone talks about early extension and how it’s bad. It’s the early part that’s bad. I think if we stay in side bend too long it starts getting into excessive leaning and lunging. I just picture Peter Senior and how vertical he gets after. He’s really getting there fast, using true loft.

Richard explains this very well. Start at 14:25. The whole video is excellent. You’ll recognize some of the language sounding like that crazy Cajun in NOLO. :slight_smile:

vimeo.com/80790429

I see what your saying … didn’t know you guys liked that

diz

Great stuff, Diz, your swing looks great and I bet you’re wearing out the face of your 7-iron. :slight_smile:

Take a look at my avatar here, that’s the up target angle I was talking about. He’s super square to the target, rotating on that beautiful arch. Some might look and say his hands have turned over. I don’t think so, it’s an illusion. Where’s Criss Angel when you need him.

In reference to the video posted, for those new around here, the left wrist or flat left wrist into and through impact should not be a contrived intention on it’s own. Any flattening must happen by force and pressure created by the torso accelerating against the golf club, mass of the club etc…

Best if done with thin divots or picking the ball fairly clean… not jamming or sticking the clubhead into the ground to create FLW like a lot of TGM instruction promotes.

Relative to the golf ball, the left shoulder works best moving flat or level … working left quickly post impact… picking up speed and pinning the left wrist into a FLW with pressure and force, not by deliberate contrived manipulation.

When the torso and shoulders are working correctly, one can actually try to come into and sustain a bent left wrist through impact.

This was a big lightbulb for me back in the late 80’s when I first started applying Mod 3. I couldn’t get the ball off the ground because I was trapping it with dead hands and losing 10 degrees of loft through impact. Soon after I realized I had to get back the true loft of the golf club and the only way to do that was to fully engage active forearm rotation into the strike and a left wrist that was striving to remain cupped, not going into flat. Oddly enough, every video I took I still had a FLW at impact even though I was trying desperately not to.

Of course, again, this only applies if the torso is picking up speed through and post impact.

Left wrist striving to remain cupped but acceleration acting on it and it going flat? As opposed to trying to manufacture a flw upstream which could cause one to de-cel, flip, too much shaft lean which feels like falling off a cliff, and not in a good way.

I would not described the video as “excellent”, and any similarity to the crazy cajun is not a ringing endorsement. I also hear some Gerry Hogan for good measure. It reminds me of a video I saw of someone who had studied video and observed that the grip moves up through impact, so you should try to move the grip up through impact. This stuff makes me want to pull my hair out sometimes. :unamused:

This was a big lightbulb for me back in the late 80’s when I first started applying Mod 3. I couldn’t get the ball off the ground because I was trapping it with dead hands and losing 10 degrees of loft through impact. Soon after I realized I had to get back the true loft of the golf club and the only way to do that was to fully engage active forearm rotation into the strike and a left wrist that was striving to remain cupped, not going into flat. Oddly enough, every video I took I still had a FLW at impact even though I was trying desperately not to.

great post ,glad u like that

I was trying to find the part where he was talking about extension in the swing. I know sometimes posting vids qualifies as an automatic endorsement. I try to come at most of it unemotionally; guess I failed calling it “excellent.” At the very least, we generated some discussion, and activated some brain cells. One either loves or hates that guy down there. He does have that talent.

He is definitely a polarizing figure…but he must be a great golfer having shot 62 ten times in two months! :laughing:

youtube.com/watch?v=R-VDzBx … ata_player

What the hell! That is disturbing and funny.

This is totally off-topic but this clip is hilarious.

youtube.com/watch?v=Eo2eH3-R09I

I think I’m just starting to get this pivot release. I was pressuring it wrong, but now it feels more like I’m pressuring right up the shaft line. Although I still don’t hold off release as much as the hogan ideal here, I don’t think it’s necessary to hold off that long unless you really want an anti-hook move.

imgur.com/a/Ha1rQ - pivot release

This is what I mean.

Clearly, in order to hit consistently with a pivot release you’d want the clubface to be facing the target for some time after the ball, but it’s ok to eventually let the right hand overtake the left. Hard to argue with probably the winningest golfer who ever lived.

player - imgur.com/a/i1JvH

Palmer, Souchak - imgur.com/a/xDHzR

Gary Woodland - i.imgur.com/OaNMGUv.jpg

This is true. The hands do want to roll over. With what myself and Lag try to teach is that hands HIT into impact and then that hit is overtaken with the pivot so they do still turn over but that happens via the upper arm connection and pivot turn/acceleration. This way the club is not rolled around in its rate of closure or steered through with disconnected arms/hands void of release. The club is in direct correlation to the pivot turn. The clubface will stay squarer to the target as the wrists arent altered and the hands stay tighter to the turn. So the hands will still look they are crossing over but they arent doing that by stopping the pivot and moving the arms & hands on their own- which closes or steers the clubface thru the strike. You would think of the shoulders being the hub and the hands/arms are spokes being brought along for the ride.

Thanks for replying Bradley. The observations on this site have done more to better my golf swing, as well as simplify it, than any other source. This style of release requires little maintenance, and becomes quite intuitive after hard work.

Nick,

You don’t want to focus on your right pinkie, thyroid and soft tissues? :laughing: