Grip slippage

:laughing: :laughing:

Serrated blades into the eyes for me NRG. :smiley:

Mission Accomplished

I could make a killing, an absolute MINT teaching celebrities how to really deal with paparazzi & sycophants

George?

Jrich, Thanks for the advice. At the range today I put a vice grip on it with fingers and pad of the left hand. Ball striking was much better. I think a lot of the problem just comes from getting lazy and not securing the grip through every swing. I’ve heard that Henry Cotton could hit ten balls in a row without regripping and when they asked Moe Norman how tight he gripped the club he said “like [he] was trying to draw blood”. So module 1 may help with grip strength. I think I’m going to hit a lot of left hand only wedges to get it more secure.

lag talks about hitting the 50lb. bag off of his deck, you can’t do this with a loose grip.
think about that while you are drilling mod 1, or if you have a deck, try and hit your bag off of it.

Kirk, I’m not sure I could throw it off.

When you get to module 5, you’ll learn a lot more about what to do with the hands throughout the swing, but for now, it sounds like just keeping things nice and firm will help a lot.

The club head should always be squared with the shoulders when you finish. You can check this by setting the club back down at address once you finish your swing. If its twisting or flipping/shutting over then your grip is either to weak and/or your giving in to CF thru impact.

A good tip thats been given, which you will learn in module 5 as mentioned above, is to keep a firm constant grip, but keep your wrists oily. Module 5 will teach you this.

Your not suppose to physically throw the bag off, i dont think, just try too. It will train more of a firmer grip.

There’s also a great pic of Lag’s hands … in regards to where the callusus are formed due to grip pressure. Keep in mind any type of mishit will cause the grip to change… most people think there not holding it tight enough because of the mishit which forces the club to twist. You want all the skin wraped on that club as if your holding a nunchuk.

I agree, no reason not to have as much skin contact as possible.

Pressures are created by impact forces increasing, and CF pressures increasing as the swing gets
better or more dynamically involved.

Grip it firm and hit it hard from the 4:30 line with a level rotation.

At the range I experimented with a substantial increase in grip pressure tonight. For about this entire season I have been hitting the ball with decent power, but I have not had enough control over my shot direction (suffering a variety of misses to the left; pulls, hooks, and combinations thereof; I am a right-handed golfer). I took a very firm grip tonight, and I immediatelly hit the ball remarkably straight, and on target, after that. I can’t say that I hit it really well, but I suppose it will take some getting used to. I noticed much increased straightness (very much desirable), the ball taking off lower from my irons (desirable for me), I felt a loss of power (undesirable), and had less distance (let’s say 1 club less) (I could live with that).

Given that it fixed my directional problems I will continue with this. I was quite uncomfortable with the change though, but I realize I should give myself some time. I have a question now though: Is it possible to grip a club too tightly? If so, what is lost, what breaks down?

Hi SF

I hate to give you the old standard answer that this is covered in detail in Mod 5 which took me about 6 months to hurdle…

but I think you can grip the club too tightly if it is coupled with tight wrists and potentialy hurt your wrist. So firm as you can in the fingers and nice & oily in the wrists is the right combo…The oily wrist will get your distance back…

Thank you very much. I will be paying attention to that.

And I must admit that I am an ‘interested guest’ here, at this point, not an enrolled student of the ABS program.