Great Ball Strikers of all time - links to footage and pics

Hey Arnie, how about those overhead shots on that one. watch Palmer’s left foot spin way out to the target after impact and into the follow through. The others seem to just fill their left foot in the follow through and finish in balance. Arnie spins all over it. Interesting view

Hi guys,

I heard that CBS were going to show some redigitised footage of a 1964 match from Pebble Beach between Snead and Nicklaus next Sunday at 2pm (no idea what timezone!). Be great if someone could capture it - I’d love to see it some time!

Cheers,

Arnie

I should have you covered Arnie- I will set it up to tape on my DVR

Cheers Two, thats great. I’m assuming the footage that they are taklking about is the 1963 Shell match between Snead and Nicklaus from Pebble Beach. I hope so as that is one I havn’t seen before.

EDIT: Actually it is the Shell match and no wonder I havn’t seen it as it hasn’t been shown anywhwere since 1963 itself! Some more info here on Geoff Shacklefords blog:

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2009/7/6/dvr-watch-nicklaus-snead-match.html

Starts at 2pm Eastern Time apparently.

Cheers,

Arnie

Al Barkow told me today that he was there in person… I told him not to tell me the outcome! lol

Sounds much more exciting than what goes on… on the PGA Tour these days…

it will be fun to watch… and see who wins! lol

In the bigger picture, I hope it opens some peoples eyes as to how far golf has slipped as a game of
great skill… touch, finesse and strategy.

Maybe there’s hope!

Don’t really know where to post these photos as there are various places they could go on this forum- so let’s just stick them right here with the great ball strikers

Nick Faldo and Ian Woosnam (awesome 4.30 line on this shot)
scan0011.jpg
scan0009.jpg

Did anyone capture the Nicklaus Snead match today?

For some reason I believed it was being aired at 1Pm here… when in fact it was at 11 am…

oops… :blush:

It never showed up on the guide on my TV so I set my DVR to record two paid programming time slots at 2pm and 2.30pm on CBS and thank goodness it ended up being the Shell Match
I haven’t watched it yet. Just flicked it on to see if it had actually taped the match or if it had taped an infomercial about detergent
So I have it- looked great quality the small bit I saw and Al Barkow was interviewed a few times and lots of Nicklaus talking and reminiscing about the match 45 years later

Thank the lord for that…not sure I’m up for waiting another 45 years to see it… :wink:

I’ve got it recorded too as a backup in case we lose the other one… :wink:

Thats great Mashie - definitely good to have a safety net! Anyone watched it yet and have any thoughts they would like to share? Bear in mind Lag doesn’t want to know the result till he sees it :laughing:

It looks great on the screen Arnie- Very impressive color - Pebble Beach looked a treat, although the greens seemed quite slow
There is probably a bit of footage of the match missing due to the fact that there is a lot of interviews interspersed throughout.
Lots of jack nicklaus talking in his own words about his memories of the match. I haven’t watched it all yet, just flicked through it.
Looks good though- don’t know what type of quality golf they played but I do know the end result. I’ll get a copy done

AA,

I got a kick out of the 35 dimples on Jack’s Tourney ball and a dog running loose throughout the show. Seriously though I was more impressed with Jack’s swing when I slowed it down. He was a lot flatter and maybe with Lag’s keen eye he can tell if sees “hitter” earmarks. There were many great camera angles and look forward to disecting it some more. :nerd:

Mashie,
I remember George Rogers , the host, saying as Nicklaus hit a shot on the 6th hole that Nicklaus was a hitter and not a swinger- I thought that an amusing insight to come up with that comment in 1963

TM,

Yes, I heard that too and said to myself that was a very astute observation. I swear I saw Jack maintaining his shaft/arm angle after impact on his ceramic faced MT 1-iron shots…Looked like some shots had angle hinging but others were horizontal…

Also I thought it was strange that they left the pin in the hole while Sam was chipping on the green…I guess that rule was changed after 1963

Great player from South Africa- thought of him with the British Open being played today seeing he won it 4 FOUR times !
scan0042.jpg

locke.jpg

And here you have it…

No mysteries…

Here is a quite wonderful recent clip of Gary Player giving a clinic in Poland where he talks about:

• the importance of acceleration
  • the importance of balance
  • the link with karate
  • the fact that Tiger is the best chipper, bunker player and putter but not the ballstriker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uon4dSiOKJk

Its a little long but I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Cheers,

G

Great post there G…

I think Gary mentions acceleration about 48 times… acceleration, acceleration, acceleration, acceleration, acceleration, acceleration, acceleration, acceleration, acceleration, acceleration.

Gary Player had and still has a great golf swing… in his prime, one of the best ever. He was also quite aware of the connection with martial arts which we discuss in module #2 and #4. He is one of the greats of all time and we would be foolish to not listen to his words of wisdom and insight.

Great stuff. I couldn’t agree more with everything he said.