Golf is not a game of Perfect

On the First tee a Golfer must expect only two things of himself, To have fun and focus on your target and think of nothing else but hitting the ball there

I just finished reading two books by Bob Rotella.
-Putting out of your mind
-Golf is not a game of perfect.

I have read numerous golf books this year and these 2 are by far the best. After reading these two books my golf game has improved and changed more so than any other time.

Golf is not a game of perfect gives great insight in how to actually “play” golf. I think in this day and age we lose sight of why we actually play golf in the first place. To have fun! and to get the ball into the hole. How many people stand on the first tee and have 10 swing thoughts but not one thought on where they want the ball to go?How many people do you know spend the day angry at themselves for all their bad shots?

His big theme is picking out tiny targets on the course and focusing all your attention on hitting it there, leaving all swing thoughts on the practic tee. Humans are wired to react to targets. We perform so much better if we do things unconciously. I.e throwing a ball at your target you just do it. kicking a ball, doing a backflip, driving a car. As soon as you start actually “thinking” about the mechanical movements you will always do worse. Golf is the same. Whether your putting or driving, doing it subconciously whilst playing will always yeild a better result.

He talks about a sound pre-shot routine and how it affects your game, how to accept bad shots and how to deal with them. Aswell as a few examples of touring pro’s he’s helped and gives great insight into why the top players are so good… its all mental at that level…

Putting out of your mind I reccomend for anyone who can stripe a 3 iron to within 6 feet, then walks to the green dreading the birdie putt. Its a fantastic book that will really help your putting improve. I know for me I now really enjoy my putting and have never rolled the ball better.

Best of all Dr Bob puts all his ideas across in a simple and straight forward manner I found very logical and easy to follow.

His stuff is great. I have the audio for all of it and most of the books. I highly recommend “15th Club” too.

sound like great reads, might get myself a copy of both.

does anyone know how to adopt a pre-shot routine (as mine change from week to week) and is this covered by lag in the modules?

I just came across a quote from Gerry Hogan that we all need to answer before we do anything. What the hell am I trying to do? I just shared this with my girls basketball team and I think it applies to every action we do in the normal flow of our lives. If we answer this question before every round, before every shot and before every putt, our journey to self-fulfillment would be much greater.

Bob

Regarding the pre shot routine… I had a nice chat with Greg Lavern the other day and we talked about Moe and how approached it.

Moe believed golf was played from the side of the ball, not from behind it… so Moe always entered from the side, he never stood behind the ball. However, Moe was also a big proponent of walking and would do his homework walking up to the ball… feeling the wind, studying the terrain and assessing his next shot well in advance of arriving at the ball… so all that stuff that most players do… was already done by Moe.

One of the goals of ABS instruction is to work the player into feeling comfortable over the shot at address… but this develops not only with technique, but also developing the confidence in being able to work the ball left to right or right to left with a sufficient degree of proficiency so that the player doesn’t have to be overly concerned about exact alignment. Instead, the player can start tapping into feel and intuition to shape the ball into the fairway or green in a much more sophisticated methodology than had been typically offered up in standard golf instruction. To be both the mechanic and the artist is true mastery.