Geoff Ogilvy Decries Modern Game

Good article on Australian Masters winner Geoff Ogilvy, a young guy with an old-school soul! Lag, you should invite him to your traditional golf tournaments…

golfaustralia.org.au/default … y&id=70823

Maybe Lag could invite him to Las Vegas event with Sam and Bradley :smiley:

Here’s another gem by Geoff. He needs an invite to the next TRGA event at Las Vegas National.

http://globeandmail.golfcanada.ca/professional-tours/pga-tour/rbc-canadian-open/?articleId=2105612

“That’s golf to me, not this,” Ogilvy said. “This pays for my golf life. I wish that one year we could forget about the commercial aspects and play 20 tournaments on the best courses in the world. Let’s play Morfontaine [50 kilometres north of Paris], and Sunningdale [in London, England] Royal Dornoch [in the Scottish Highlands], Royal County Down [in Northern Ireland], National Golf Links [in Southampton, N.Y.], Chicago Golf Club. Or let’s go to Merion [near Philadelphia] with seven clubs and a blade putter and balata balls. That stuff is fun.”

Apparently they have grown some significant rough this week for the Canadian Open. Maybe Canada will be the new US Open? I hope so. I disagree that the rough there is too high and that it is not allowing for recovery shots. There are enough events with little or no rough and bomb and gouge golf courses on tour. Let’s see an event or two where precision shotmaking is required. A player should not be entitled to still be able to hit the green if they miss a fairway.

I like the idea of shaved grass around the greens where the ball can roll off and down a few embankments like when I played down in Australia. I don’t have an issue either with offering multiple green side conditions. No reason not to have some thick rough on one side of the green and shaved down a slope on the other.

Interesting to see Lee Janzen on the board at the Canadian Open this week… two time US Open winner feels like he is playing a real US Open?

You shoot 1 under on a par 70 and you are in the top 10. That’s US Open golf… much more than the “Congressional Classic”
Projected cut at 3 or 4 over par. 42 players shot 5 over or worse… but the leader shot 67, and a few guys at 68. What’s wrong with setting the course up like this?

I’m glad the Canadians are standing up to the PGA Tour and doing their event their way… good for them.

The best way to tame the frying pans is to line the fairways with fire.

Last night we were watching a re-run of the first round while eating dinner…the commentators were making a big deal about the rough, and I think it was Anthony Kim who said “man, they sure can grow some rough here”…my old lady pipes up “why are they complaining about the rough…isn’t it supposed to be high?”

Andy

The way I see it… they shouldn’t have it both ways…
If you are going to properly test a professional player, and they get to use all the silly gear and so forth… then grow the rough high.

If the players don’t want the rough that high, then they can put a little waste basket by the first tee for them to drop off their frying pans and they can go out there with real golf clubs and have at it.

It seems the consensus is that they feel the game is not being properly presented unless they can swing as hard as they want, hit the ball anywhere, no OB on the course, and are entitled to a shot at the green and a chance for birdie if they hit a good shot from wherever their tee shot lands. There seems to be some crazy movement in favor of eliminating trees from golf courses because players feel that a tree has no right to be in their way.

Some course architects who specialize in restoration work… claim that by studying the original blueprints of old classic courses and time period photos… they feel this supports the concept of treeless golf.

However… those early golf clubs PLANTED TREES! because unlike the new hotels on the Vegas strip, they didn’t have helicopters dropping mature trees from Spain onto the properly to make it look like they’ve been there forever. They planted trees as in INVESTMENT into the future… another lost concept in the modern society of instant gratification.

I love tree-lined courses. I don’t get to play them often, but this week I played a gorgeous course in Durango while on vacation. It was a great test of golf, yet only 6800 or so from the tips, even though it is at 7000 foot elevation. It was one of the funnest and most breathtaking layouts I’ve ever seen, with lots of elevation change and thick rough and trees. At one point, my dad had to punch out sideways on a par 5 after missing the fairway by no more than a foot or two.