‎Flaghuntersgolfpod: We’re Talking Advanced Ball Striking With Former

1 Like

Super fun to geek out about advanced ball striking and golf in general. I’ve been enjoying listening to the many other Flaghuntersgolfpod podcasts, especially the ABS related ones. Thanks for inviting me on Jesse :golf:

2 Likes

Thanks Paul. Great to hear you. I was curious did you have hip replacement? I’m struggling with that and close to your and John’s age. Couldn’t hit the bag for a while transfer weight to left hurt. Steroid shot just helped. I know 3 speedskaters my age 57 that are all raving about getting left hip done and skating. They told me don’t wait.
I looked up golfers and so many with left hip replacements. Tom Watson, DL3, Bo Weekly, Nicklaus, Peter Jacobson among many others I’m sure. Glad to hear u are doing well. Vancouver island looks beautiful. I think I did more skating than golf. Seeing surgeon aug 15 and getting second opinion from a surgeon of a kid I coach on the ice.

I had my left hip replaced Nov of 2021. Zero pain since and hasn’t affected my mobility at all. My right hip is going to have to be done too at some point. The pain isn’t near as bad as it was with my left hip.
As far as my golf swing is concerned, I can’t have my feet as wide apart as I would like as it tweaks my right hip and hurts when I try to pivot correctly through and past the ball. No issues with my new left hip however, all good since it’s been replaced.
I would take your friends advice and don’t wait to get it done. Tell your surgeon you can barely sleep at night because of the pain, maybe limp a little more when he checks you out, lol. The surgery is quick and recovery is fast!

1 Like

Thanks Paul for quick response. I’ll use that swing thought of hold shaft flex. Still trying to figure that out

Another great pod Jesse! Thanks for giving your time Paul, it’s great to hear the thoughts of guys who have been at the top level and are rediscovering their love of the game

3 Likes

Thanks for taking the time Paul…
Brought back some great memories of playing on tour with your guys… we really had fun up there in Canada and down there in Australia!

Moe has become such a legend… and we were so fortunate to have spent time with him in hindsight. He really was that good. I remember the first time I saw him at Thunderbird CC in Toronto… clocking that old tin 220 yard sign with a persimmon four wood 3 times in a row with beat up range balls.

I remember asking him what his best round was… he said “six pins”… or in other words… he hit the pin 6 times in a round. I wouldn’t have believed it, but one day I hit the pin 3 times in a round at Madera CC near where I went to college… so if I could do that… then certainly Moe could have hit 6 pins.

“The one pound driver… 16 ounces. Hogan, me and George” (Knudson)

Could just go on and on…

2 Likes

Yes it was awesome to hear. I was searching Moe on this forum last night but sadly so many of the videos links to Vimeo don’t work☹️.
I wish I saw you on the range hitting divots😀. The real question though is when will the Advanced Guitar Chording video come out. I’ve been fiddling around with my wife’s guitar and had to take a break for a while as my fingers hurt😀

1 Like

A lot of fun chatting with Jesse about ABS and golf in general.
I look back on my tour days like it was a previous life. A lot of fun, a lot of stress at times, great memories. We got to travel the world, meet some amazing people, se some incredible things.
I got to meet Nelson Mandela when I played for NZ in the World Cup 1996 in South Africa. Got paired with Ray Floyd, Greg Norman, Vijay Singh, Colin Montgomery, and Lag’s man Peter Senior among others at various times. The perks of playing well in Australia, you never know when you may get paired with a golfing great!
The Canadian Tour was like a big family, we were all chasing the dream and supporting each other along the way. For some reason I got along well with the laid back California crew. John, Eric Woods, Vic Wilk and Pat Sharpe managed to put up with me for practice rounds and splitting a room occasionally.
John is an amazing guitarist, so I hit him up for tips and help. I’d just taken up guitar and was trying to learn Wish you were here (Pink Floyd) and some Neil Young. Too easy for John, still tricky for me, lol. I remember rooming with John and he was laying on his bed playing some intricate Yes or Rush song, flat on his back with the guitar almost above him. Next level stuff, advanced guitar picking :joy:
Good times, good memories.
Thanks again Jesse for allowing me to ramble on :+1:t3:

3 Likes