Filming one’s swing versus just trusting it

How often do you film your motion? Personally I think once a week or even a couple times a month should be fine. Becoming too position oriented never can be a good formula for amateur golf

Thoughts ?

Jack Nicklaus, Ben Hogan, and Tiger Woods were a lot more technical with their swings than people thought.

In the late 70s, Nicklaus had to completely rebuild his swing as he mentioned in his autobiography and that led to winning both the US Open and PGA in 1980.

It took Hogan nearly two decades, the 1930s-40s, until he was satisfied with his swing.

Tiger changed his swing twice in 1998 and 2004, and went on to have stellar results in both 1999-2002 and 2005-2008.

You just can’t win with faulty mechanics, you have to be conscious of what’s wrong with your swing and fix it. No matter how weird it feels at first and if you hit poorer shots and often even feel like you’re doing it right, but in reality you’re not most of the time.

But therein lies the problem, how can you be sure what you’re working on are the right things when everybody has differing swing opinions? And how can you be sure you’re doing them right with proper feedback? That’s what coaches or books/videos or drills/training aids are for.

Eventually the magic happens when you shift from consciously doing the right things in your swing to unconscious, and that’s when golf becomes happiness, as Moe Norman eloquently put it!

1 Like

Great response

Close the thread

1 Like

I think most would be better off not filming their swings, at least in the short term.

I’m at a point where I don’t care what it looks like. When I was younger and did care, looking at it on video tended to make me worse.

1 Like

Just trusting it on the course is pretty much imperative, barring a simple swingthought or two to bring some comfort if needed - rhythm/timing thoughts are often the best when playing I’ve found.

A difficulty is, when you’re working on stuff, there’s constant judgement and assessment going on, and habits are very easy to get into - often harder to get out of, unfortunately. That sort of thinking is important in its place for sure, but it’s really not very helpful to play golf with.

Working on things away from the ball for a while, then doing some video can be enlightening. On that note, I switched over for a good few years to an interlocking grip, and liked it for the most part - if I ever went back to the overlap when messing around, it felt like I was holding the club with boxing gloves on. One winter a few years back I decided to change back to overlap, so always had a club around the house that I’d pick up, make a few swings etc., and almost started to forget about the grip after a while. I didn’t play at all for a good few months, and when I went out for the first game early spring I hit it pretty decent. It was only a few days later that I realized I’d used the overlapping grip and I’d never noticed!

Long way around saying that I think they both have their place, and are both important. But I think it’s extremely important to bring a trusting/accepting attitude to the course. If you can flip the switch, then great. But as Mike Tyson I think said, ‘everyone has a plan until they get their first punch in the face’ :joy:

2 Likes

Couple of times a year.

1 Like

Truth!..funny how that works. :grin:

1 Like

That is a sign of a golfer who trusts what they are doing. Well said

I used to get discouraged when I thought I was doing something differently, but it just looked the same as before. Very difficult to make a change. Eventually I stopped filming and just cared about how I was hitting it.

2 Likes
3 Likes