Evolution of an Impact Position

" You don’t have to have a great golf swing to play short irons or hit a frying pan."

I can’t even hit the frying pans, hit the persimmon woods much better… I can hit em, but the dispersion is god awful with the frying pans… Army golf vs. long and controlled…

Made this video up quickly when I was running through some pics today…seeing this thread is Evolution of an Impact Position…I thought it interesting to see address and (almost) impact of Tony Lema

[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/47929210[/vimeo]

Hey Lag, or Two…or other former cutmen like me :laughing:

Found a real old ball the other day with a cut cover. The cut looked like a ‘smile’. In my young days learning, I did that a time or two as I recall and never gave it much thought other than I screwed up. :blush:

When I looked at that ball the other day, a question popped into the old noggin. How does a sharp, straight leading edge produce a curve cut on a sphere in almost perfect symmetry.

Just curious…well actually I am on to something pretty cool and your thoughts would be appreciated. :slight_smile:

Just wanted to update this thread a little. I don’t have any new video, but we are now 2 matches into the season. I’ve put up a pair of easy 36’s, both with very solid and consistent striking. I have hit 15 of 18 greens and all but 1 fairway so far. ABS is beginning to pay off.

I’ve begun to mess around with a significantly weaker grip and an overlap as opposed to an interlock. It seems to aid in the slotting/opening in tranisition quite a bit. I haven’t had much time to work on it on the range, but I have been filming in the garage and I like what I’m seeing.

This was tonight:

The screen shots are small and hard to see, so here’s the video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkiT6hvAVXM[/youtube]

I’ll try to get some video on the range or the course over the weekend.

I like the new takeaway a lot… give it some time to work in… but it will pay off for sure down the road. Drill like crazy and hit lots of balls to feel it in your swing if you want to speed up the process during golf season.

Thanks for the feedback lag. The only real difference is the grip change, with maybe a little added emphasis on module 5 intentions.

Looks Good Jrich! My grip has changed significantly since joining the ABS modules. I use to have interlocking grip as well, but switched over to overlapping very quickly. It was just easier to do the modules with overlapping. Now being in module 5. My grip is all in the fingers. My left hand is positioned weak and my right hand is positioned a littler stronger over the left. This is the only way i can handle the club with firmness, yet still have fluidity in my wrists. Also i can get alot more forearm rotation with this as well.

One thing swing thought that has helped me, is on the takeaway, pretend theres a bag there to sweep over like you would do in module 5. Then toss the club over your shoulder with a good full shoulder turn and rotate the forearms hard coming down like you would in module 5 when dropping the club back into the bag. I have a feeling of a figure 8 when doing this…Kind of tossing it to the outside and bring it back down to the inside. Your right elbow will automatically be pinned back to you body if u have great forearm rotation. So this also coupled with flexing of the knees seem to get that shaft to flatten out very nicely.

As of right now when i hit balls, i have to really concentrate on holding that club face open as long as i can while pressuring the shaft. If i dont, ball hooks off the planet!

I have also learned you cant really force yourself to be in those great impact positions. It just has to happen with good intentions of other things. It has to flow dynamically. A real huge light bulb for me hit the other day on why i wasnt hitting the ball well. I had good forearm rotation, fairly good knee flex, etc…but what i finally came to notice, i was trying to position my right arm every time i came thru. Well this for one tensed up my right arm, i caught myself thrusting the arm a few times. I finally got the point to tell myself to let the right arm be passive and do whatever it does and hopefully the rest will take care of itself. Sure enuff! It worked like a charm!! Took a couple of swings to find my low point and i was in business. I just needed to keep the damn right arm out of the swing and focus it as being spokes on a wheel. This generated alot more speed for me and flusher shots.

Huge difference of using your hands V.S. using your arms. We need to use the hands, but leave the arms OUT! Correct me if im wrong…haha

Here’s a video from a drill I was doing on the range today, working on some mod 7 and Super Slotting concepts:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEH8oIL8jQQ[/youtube]

You’ll get good in a hurry hitting lots of balls doing that!

Good work!

I haven’t updated this thread in a while…

My Casio broke back in November, and I still need to replace it, so I haven’t done much video. After playing with Lag in January at Seven Canyons in Sedona, he pointed out that my shoulders had reverted to their tendency to go very steep through impact and cause all kinds of post-impact headaches. I spent most of February re-ingraining the flatter turn, and I think it’s finally permanent. I played a lot of golf in March and April, but didn’t really spend any time on the range. Today, I finally broke out the old archaic camcorder to get some video. The swings don’t look great, but I was pleased to see the shoulders are still turning more level.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiDpL6oWAsQ[/youtube]

I’m also still working on learning some of the concepts of the super-slotting module:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BshZlKY7JvI[/youtube]

Thanks for posting…
Some great progress being made.
Congrats on signing your college scholarship letter!