Deconstructing Hogan

Pondering Hogan’s supination - clearly the left wrist flattens from a cupped position with the correct forces being applied, no matter what your skill level is…

However, Hogan’s left wrist supination seems to be more pronounced than most (starting at p3), even on what looks to be off-speed swings (wedges, low irons, etc). The same wrist angle changes are apparent.

Much (too much probably) has been written about this, yet I’m trying to piece together just how worked - it must be force induced, but force from where precisely? Left hand pulling club back into body (hitting action) with club (weight/mass) so far being that something has to give (I.e. left wrist)?

It’s more fascinating than something to try and replicate (exactly); generally curious - the natural and syrupy look, yet so many internal tensions colliding…

I can see what you’re saying. Hard with the old footage to always see things clearly.
Here’s a wedge shot from the Houston shell match:
Hogan Wedge

1 Like

I think it shows how much of a hook Hogan actually fought in his career. And this was after massive cupping at the top of the transition phase. Combine that with his lateral shift and squat. And equipment extremely flat, Irons with face open and rib of grips reversed. Would love to have heard his strikes in person. No way he could go left with those photos

@Slinger72

Seems like alot of great ballstrikers have a click sound and then hiss as ball is compressed . Everyone I go watch seems to have this soft click and compression. Then I ask myself how do they do that? Lol

Nothing violent at bottom of arc. What do Idk :man_shrugging:

1 Like

They are using the clubs the way it was designed. Maybe breaking it down that way would unlock some closed barriers in our mind.

But than you can also say the same about old gear versus current.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t it be a culmination from several mass centers- our chi, 2 tightly knit hands, shaft weight, clubhead mass, all occupying the same, or very narrow, aspect line from ground to sky all hitting at the same moment in time without the sequence being an exercise in timing, striking the bull’s eye, via a strong rotational effort to impart that total alignment from ground up.

That’s how I believe the sound is primarily produced.

3 Likes

…and the opposing force twins

208f7ea67fde236f454c282182ca18de

1 Like

Page 82-83 of 5 lessons… when Hogan is describing his “hit” or release. The bullseye as he puts it, sits at the high of the belt buckle (4-5 yards down the line of flight).

I think this may be one of the most overlooked pieces he deliberately draws attention to - the hit is in effect parallel to the ground. Not down at the ball or in front of the ball, but parallel. Of course, we contact the ball with forearm/pivot rotation and releasing some wrist hinge.

But the intention is not down but parallel or forward (handing off the baton to the body).

My logical hit instinct at an inclined vantage point tells me to hit down or to force some kind of energy down (now ingrained subconsciously)… definitely not the case based on BH’s commentary - Quite a bit of value here, if you ask me.

1 Like

Good one.

Given the difference between the shaft’s orientation to the ground and the upper torso’s orientation to the ground at this point when the trail arm straightens it would certainly feel more horizontal than vertical for sure, in my estimation. But it’s set up even before that, with some of the same sensation, by the shoulders turning more level and getting the trail side through too.

Hogan module 3

2 Likes

The golf swing - what an interesting sequence of events… I enjoy the visuals and pressures associated with a parallel or level release. Obviously, you have to “hit” very late and use pivot rotation aggressively to maintain the level-ness through P4. Release early and you geometrically cannot maintain level. Forego body/pivot and you either straighten out that trail arm real quick or hit thin shots to right field all day…

Sometimes the visuals or relative spacial reference points enlighten some new internal feelings (many times feeling unnatural or uncomfortable) - I’ve started to really pay attention when I get into these “new” forces/spots as they often resemble what I’m trying to chase… far too easy to drop back into a lazy move at the ball, which may feel easier or less forced.

Always appreciate the comments and insights @RangeRat

1 Like