Conversations with Paulsy

I’m sure your dad has lots of vintage photos… it might be cool to put a few of them up here for us to enjoy… if you dig around, you might find some real gems… and what a better place to share them than right here at ABS! :sunglasses:

After the interview with “The Old Pro” I have been thinking more and more about the lead tape under the grips…

Today I was digging through the garage, and found an old set of Tourney Custom MacGregors that I had picked up off ebay last year and low and behold… I am quite sure this set is one of those custom jobs. Clearly this was at one time owned by a good player if not a tour player. They also have the propell #1 X shafts in them, so not much needs to be done to them other than adjust the loft and lie angles.

The dead weight of the 4 iron is over 16 ounces, which is even heavier than my 59 Dynapowers. My 59 Dyna swing weight is E1. But this set I found is D2.
The grips are built up beyond belief, and although it is the heaviest set I own, it is also the lightest in swing weight.

I suspect that this set is loaded up with lead tape under the grips. They are really butt heavy which of course drops the swing weights. The grips are wonderful old school cord grips, really fat. So I am reluctant to pull the grips off… however tempting that would be…

here is a pic of the grips against a more standard grip diameter.
A real buried treasure here possibly!

5a.jpg

Wouldn’t it be great if you could take an x-ray picture of the grips… :wink: The lead would show up nicely and everything stays intact…
Here is one on ebay for $150 :
http://cgi.ebay.com/G-E-AMX-2-Mobile-X-Ray-Machine-Parts-Repair-FS8245-/370380049156?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563c5f0b04#ht_4559wt_1137

Perfect, do NOT pull off those grips! Rehydrate them,adjust the lie angles and have at it…

Paulsy, can you (or someone else) please explain how to rehydrate old grips?

There are products on the market but I dont bother. Simply, rehydration is restoring lost moisture from natural materials. My method is to do a series of soaks in a luke warm water and VERY mild detergent…this removes old oils and damaging salts. (dish soap…not dishwasher detergent).(1) Over the course of 10 days or so put the clubs upside down in a bucket of warm mix and allow to soak for 1/2 hr. Be sure to open the top hole on the grip with a tee or something.(2) Next I soak to rinse in warm water for another 1/2 hr. (3) I will then put the clubs(again upside down) in a corner somewhere and allow to dry for the next 12 to 18 hrs. again be sure that the top hole in the grip is open to allow any water that got in the shaft to drain out.THIS IS CRITICAL!!!. (4) Repeat for the next week or so and they will absorb most of the lost moisture.Best with rubber and cords…I don’t do leather wraps this way…to much shrinkage…and then she complains :blush: lol… Good luck, Paulsy

Thanks for the info Paulsy, I’m definitely going to give your method a try.

Get this,
Here we are discussing rehydrating, bending (and playing) 40+ year old clubs that you can find on the net for $30 while on the other hand I’ve just gotten rid of my last set of modern ‘irons’ and I got more than $350 for them. :laughing: …Guess I’ll be rehydrating some more grips these next couple of months… :smiling_imp:

Knowledge is power

Your welcome…it’ll work…Paulsy

What do you think is the best way to treat the leathers?

What does the old pro say about it if you don’t play leather wraps? I’d imagine pops played leather at some time back in the day.
I’ve been a cord guy my life, but I do have a few sets with leathers on them, and Cheese sent me a nice set of them a while back I need to
put on a set… once I find some underwraps…

Yup, underwraps will be hard to find and re-use almost never worked because the underwraps were usually glued on to never come off. Unless you find some where the glue has dried right out but then its impossible to clean the insides of them to re-install. I will ask the “Old Pro” today about the preferred method for keeping the leathers in top shape back when…but being “old school” his response will likely be…well, old school. But I guess thats the point. Maybe he should give you a call soon and if you Q’s are built up enough I’m sure his A’s will satisfy :smiley: Paulsy

Lag, I believe my father understands that we should drain his deep well before it is no longer available to us. He will co-operate in every way and truly enjoys the nostalgic aspect interests of the forum members.So it is with pride that he will pass on his accumulated knowledge. Paulsy

It might be fun to pose another 10 or so questions to pops, and I would welcome this forum also to suggest topics of interest.

I have been thinking about slow play, and would be interested to discuss the pace of the tour back in the day as compared to the pace now… and how things were different then.

I think a discussion about traveling conditions would be interesting, and how a lot of the guys were basically camping on the tour, and why that might have required the pros back then to learn more rock solid swing fundamentals that could essentially travel better.

Of course we all love more Moe and George stories, but I also am interested in Balding and Alvie and others too.

Also, discussing the British small ball would be of interest.

Anyone else have questions?

I would be more than honored to do another installment in the next week or so.

Lag…as long as you opened things up :sunglasses:

Would like to hear some secret “locker room” stories, if any, about how the “slow turtles” were told to speed up play or risk being pummeled to a crisp, or other ways of handling that back in the day…I hate slow play…I even hate typing the word slow play. Line up and hit the stupid thing!!!

What about tour vans…or did the great generation keep supplies in the trunk and do their own work when the day or round was over. :slight_smile: RR

lag id love to hear more stuff about moe…hes just 1 of those people who interests me with his short sharp and cunning replies to questions

Alright then…we can tee it up and when you are prepared Lag send the message and I will get John on the blower with you.

I was thinking…(not always a good thing? :bulb: :laughing: )…Is the center of a persimmon driver not the same size as the center of a CARTOON driver (metal wood)??.. if the head of a nail is the same size as 50 years ago, why has the hammer not gotten bigger and bigger and … well why?? it would be hilarious to see a carpenter trying to drive a nail with a huge cartoon looking hammer!! TAKE BACK THIS GAME!!! LOUDER AND LOUDER AND LOUDER PEOPLE!!!

It would be very interesting to get The Old Pro’s thoughts on his head position at address… I like it!

Cheers…

Hey Paulsy…how’s things up North with you and your dad?

Still hoping he can return and share some thoughts about days gone by…ay! :slight_smile: RR