Classic Rounds with Classic Gear on Classic Tracks

Interesting comparison:
Here is Lag hitting to the Par 3 8th hole at Olympic Club
Also Ben Hogan- same hole- same course Par 3 8th at Olympic

You should be able to see how distance has altered over the years- check out the trees to the left of Hogan. The same trees 54 years later in the Lag photo look the same but are well ahead of where we played from the blue tees that day. I think Hogan was teeing off from the white tee area.
The front bunker is altered also
Just thought it interesting. It looked like Hogan had a reasonably short iron in his hand in that photo by the loft on it
We smashed a 5 iron 180 yards uphill into a slight fog the day we played . Anyhow cool pic comparison
scan0016.jpg
10.jpg

Wow… that is cool. I love stuff like this.

I was in Philadelphia once on business… and I had to go see Merion where Bobby Jones finished off the Grand Slam in 1930. I drove up and went into the pro shop (this was during the winter) and purchased a sweater with the basket logo (still have it of course). But I then had to drive around these various side streets and cul de sacs to find the 11th green where Jones finished off the match and the Grand Slam. Finally found it and just sat there taking it all in imagining what it must have been like.

I later found out through my readings that I stayed in the same hotel that Jones did that week when he won (The Barkley in Rittenhouse Square). I love golf!

The difference between the two pictures didn’t look right to me, so I checked it out. Apparently they moved the 8th last year in preparation for the Open in '12, also lengthening it from 137 yards to 200.

Might explain something!

Full story here.

Thanks for the link Steb. When we played there I remembered that Hogan pic I had and knew the hole had been altered significantly. Now we know by how much and why.
When we played The Olympic Club we tried to play most holes as we thought they would originally have played. We were using persimmons and we could tell that most holes being doglegs didn’t want you to hit a straight drive up the fairway. They all asked a question about turning the ball one way or the other around a slight corner, so we tried to play it as it would have played in the ‘Ghosts of Open’s Past’- like Hogan, Fleck, Palmer, Casper would have seen it.
I knew the 8th looked very different and we didn’t even play it all the way back (blue instead of black tees)
I was just guessing by trying to use the trees on the left & right as a visual for where it used to be played from.
I am presuming they may well have moved the green back a hair also to add some length as well as moving the tee box back. Great course however. You could never get sick of walking those grounds swinging at a dimpled ball

What a great day the 3 of us had at walton heath! it really was fun to shape the ball around this classic old course with a good piece of furniture from the tee :sunglasses: . Considering none of us have done this before it was a great success. noonan took the cash with a great round of 69 (-3) myself and str8flush tied on a respectable 73.
i’m gonna throw some pics up here for all to see and i’ll get some of the videos up soon along with a good write up of the day

griff
z3t.jpg
whnew8.jpg
rndm2.jpg
rndm.jpg
jc3tpi.jpg
hinge.jpg
dg13.jpg
11.jpg
10.jpg
9green.jpg

Thats great guys - congrats - wow would have loved to have seen that! Really looking forward to the write up, pics and vids. I think you might need to convert to jpeg to upload the pics?

Thanks, AA

Great stuff guys, good shootin’ Noonan! Walton Heath is a real classic track!

tiff should work…send me a pm if you’re getting an error message, Griff

EDIT - some using IE are having a problem viewing tiff files (as am I). THere’s a plug-in at alternatiff.com that may help…

I see what Two meant about keeping out of the gorse!

i hope they came out ok?? i saved them to i photo as usual but then had to use grab to get the file size down as they are huge in i photo?
i’m just uploading the videos to youtube so they’ll be linked asap.
if i converted the pics to jpeg would that work for everyone
dg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjOjpc4Tg2Q[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNsUpmpSqk8[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvnKjpMg9ks[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP5LP6U3qQ0[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rudd3PXDNWw[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pw_U6D7gpM[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwu-LH3YyuA[/youtube]
woods top1.jpg
persimmons.jpg
pc's.jpg
heads face on.jpg
heads.jpg
busson.jpg

Would love to hear you all chime in about your take on the day, the gear, who played what gear, and how it differs from the modern titanium game you usually play. 68 sounds pretty strong… 73’s not bad shooting either on that track. How was driving the ball different? The sound, the feel… did it make you tune in a bit more?

This will be a fun thread… with I was there!

inspiring stuff for sure…

thanks for the pics and vids…

Loved straight8s module #2 work… top stuff…

Terrific stuff Griff. Loved the pictures of those Macs and a Busson as well. I think JH was the brother of Harry but I might be wrong on that. I have a wonderful old putter (0.54 kilos! heavier than the heavy putter) made by him.
JHbussonsole.jpg

Nice one for getting the pics and vids up Griff.

It really was a great day.

My Equipment;-

Hogan Apex Speed Slot Driver

Hogan Apex 3 wood

Hogan Apex Irons 2-E

bullseye putter, the grip so shiny and old that I had to keep my glove when I putted to get some grip!

I used to be a member at Walton Heath, and for anyone that has played there will understand that it is truly a Classic golf course that has stood the test of time, that even the modern gear cannot beat up! Its the type of course, that when you are playing you could be in 1910 0r 2009… no concept of era.

It was a good day for golf, a little chill in the air and a little breeze, probably a club wind.

So we arrived mid morning, then str8, griff and I headed to the first tee of the NEW course (which was opened in 1907 as a 9 hole, then extended to 18 holes in 1913) so not that new!

we decided to have a straight up strokeplay match. As I stood over my first tee shot on the USUALLY driveable first hole my first thought looking down at the Persimmon was “I hope I dont miss this!”, but about 2 seconds later when I was looking up watching the ball fly straight down the middle and hearing the ‘CRACK’ of wood on ball it was a great sight and feeling.

The feel and sound of the Persimmon on ball reminded me of why I wanted to take up golf for a living!

As we got into the round it was quite apparent that the course would play really differently with our Original gear, all of a sudden the golf course ‘looked’ different, the shots that we were having to play were different from our normal game. I felt I had to funnel my drives through the fairway bunkers as opposed to get out the 400 cc driver and try to bomb it over them. Shaping the ball from the tee was paramount to keep the ball in the fairway and miss the bunkers. Funnily enough I dont think we were losing that much distance… normally I carry the ball about 275 and it ends up about 295 avg, with the persimmon I think it carried about 240-245 and ended up about 280…

The ball flight was about half the height of the modern driver for me. One hole in particular really played different for me, its the 9th hole, 465 yard par 4 slight dogleg left to right up the hill a little. there is a big patch of heather that crosses the fairway so you can only hit it about 275 from the tee. There is a tree on the corner about 200 yards out which normally I would hit a ‘mindless’ 3 wood straight over, but today with it being into the breeze, I decided to hit a driver, but with the Hogan Speed slot, I had to cut the ball around the tree, so I aimed down the left and hit a 10-12 yards fade around the tree and down the middle of the fairway… setting up a 3 iron approach into the green. The hole was back to how it should be played!

I had a good front 9 and had got a bit of lead on str8 and griff, ( I had a slight advantage of playing here 3-4 days a week between the ages of 16-20) and the fact that I had a stiff shafted driver whereas the boys had softer shafts, but funnily enough it didnt take long for them to adapt and and be ripping it. lucky I did get ahead on the front 9 as they both played some really good golf on the back 9, Griff making 3 birdies on the way in and str8 making 2 birdies and a tidy Eagle at the 13th.

It was probably the best driving round I have had in quite a while, I felt so much more in control and confident with the persimmon because it was back to the skill of hitting the ball with precision and control, not blasting it as far as you can (which can be fun also). Driving with a persimmon was an ART, and there was so much satisfaction in having the control, hitting it straight and being able to manoeuvure ball the ball both ways to suit the hole. Much more engaging round of golf, more tactics and skill.

The sound of Persimmon, the ‘CRACK’ and the feel off the club was so satisfying, there is really nothing like it.I will definitely be getting the old gear out a lot more often now, as I could really feel myself tuning in and getting a feel for the club and, using skill to hit shots as opposed to mindless smashing! It got me thinking my way round and what was quite apparent was any over acceleration and you were in big trouble… :wink:

Nice job boys. It is fun to go back to what we learned with- or I learned with anyhow- some of you guys may be too young to have totally grown up with persimmon !!

Griffo- is there any way you can reload as jpg files the pics. I think you mentioned it. I have problems with the tiff files. I have internet download manager on my system and everytime I bring this page up the download manager wants to start downloading all the pics again for some reason and I have to cancel delete the download for each picture.
I am guessing the jpg pics will just show up on the site. The tiff ones don’t show up for me on the page- they just want to keep being downloaded and need to be viewed in a file somewhere else. Don’t know if anyone else has that problem but thought I would pass it along in case they do
thanks mate; glad you had a blast

yep i’ll get on it

Too true Noonan. The persimmon gives instant feedback. You have been a good enough player to know the cause and affect. Isn’t it fun to actually get some feedback so we know what we need to work on.

the 430 slot
z430.jpg

Noonan,

That’s some good stuff going on there…

good lines…

it realy was so much fun and i think it could become addictive! i’m already trying to get the next course sorted out. maybe the berkshire?

i played a macgregor tourney wdx2 driver
a macgreggor tourney wdx1 3 wood
they both had regualr shafts in which was interesting for a few holes til i figured out when they were gonna kick. it really made me hold back until the last second to accelerate or i was in the heather on the left :imp:

i played hogan pc irons with x1’s form 3 to e and apex wedges.
quite strange having to really hold back with the driver and really smash the irons but they worked well.

the feedback really was amazing! after you get it into ur head that 100% concentration is required to get the driver to do what you need it’s great! i couldn’t stop teeing it up too high to begin with?? still in smash it mode i guess. The best thing for me was the fact that if you slightly missed the sweet spot you lost a lot of distance! 30 to 40 yards! which you just dont get with the titanium.
a lot of people have talked about how the new balls self correct and you cant shape them as well but with the wood thats really not the case! you can move it as much and as quickly as you like. it really is a lot of fun.

after a shaky front 9 in 3 over i hit some great shots coming in with the highlight being a 4 iron from 220 that chased up the green at 16 that i made for eagle, but unfortunately it was a bit late to catch noonan who played a fantastic round of golf!

i can understand why the golf swing has gone down hill with the new stuff. you need really pure intentions to hit the persimmon well and it’s something i’m going to be doing regularly to keep me on my toes.
i’d suggest to everyone on this program to try and find an old persimmon to practice with. you’ll be amazed by the feedback!

as for walton heath, they really are 2 classic old courses. anyone getting a chance to play them should do it and the great thing about the old gear is the fact that all the bunkers are in play. we really had to shape the ball to avoid them which is something i miss with the new gear.

really looking forward to the next outing!!!

griff

ps i changed all the photos to jpeg for anyone that couldnt see em. hope it has worked.