Calculating Yardages

C’mon sunshine… you’re starting to sound like one of today’s spoiled Touring pro’s!

What’s next… everyone should get a courtesy car? :slight_smile:

LCDV–I see today is your birthday. You’re way too young to be so cynical. Here’s to life, a nice bottle of red wine, some good crusty french bread and some fresh sardines. Happy B’day, pal.

What about the 1980 rule?? I think originally it was placed because of the grooves. But now that it has been taken care of, should we not allow any blades with conforming grooves?

Disclaimer: I dont have any irons younger than 1970.

The 1980 rule was never really set in stone, but other than Ping Irons, you would be pretty safe showing up with pre 1980’s gear.

Mainly we just don’t want to see long putters, Metal woods of any kind, or irons you can clearly see are not V grooved. Steel shafts are simple enough. There has been discussions about shafts, but at this point, we are keeping to steel as it just opens another can of worms to deal with.

Just looking for basic skill oriented golf competition, not who can gain an advantage with the latest gadgetry.
Simple clean, fair rules that keep the pace of play a #1 priority, quality gear, golf your ball without artificial aids, pin sheets, notebooks and so on.

I love the expression “Golf your ball” e.g Captain Chaos was golfing his balls.

You’ll have to make rulings on designs with “cut muscle” stuff and “hybrid blade” stuff like:

mizmp67.jpg
TaylorMade-RAC-MB.jpg

I know the groove rule will rule a lot of this stuff out but some of the newer stuff wouldn’t be rejected automatically. What about Vokey wedges and the like with conforming grooves? Are these ok?

Also, has a decision been made as far as drawing a line on your ball?

both those irons would indicate a some form of cavity back… so no go

draw a line on the ball? who cares…

I’m surprised the Mizuno MP-67 would be a non-starter as it’s forged and the “cut” is almost non-existent. If fact, that “cut” is so gimmicky and such an obvious marketing tool that I want to scream.

Doesn’t Hogan have some forgings that have cuts and metal moved subtly toward the edges (or not so subtly with the Radial irons)?

Just curious.

Captain Chaos

Also a lot of the late 60s Early 70s Wilsons have a cut muscle in toward the heel too. My $0.002 will be to allow blades without an obvious cavity. we have to make it somewhat more inclusive and not to shun people who want to play with shiny clubs.

I’ve seen new stuff with no cavity cuts in the back. Isn’t Nike making a really nice looking blade?

Perimeter weighting is what we are not allowing.

Doesn’t Hogan make a traditional blade anymore?

Hogan doesn’t make anything anymore. It was discontinued after Callaway bought them out. :frowning:

THANK GOD…Callaway would have FUBAR’d the Hogan name with anything they would have come out with.

Has anyone played the “Tour Tools” by BANG Golf? Forged Replicas of the '68 DynaPowers, and '82 FG-17 blades. The stamping on the back looks like crap IMO, but the shape and specs. are there…heavy, soft, no offset, available in 1 iron - SW, and can be bent up to 5 degrees. I have dealt with BANG in the past…good company to do business with.

banggolf.com/prodgroup.asp?cat=IRNCIII

banggolf.com/prodgroup.asp?cat=IRNCII

Those all look good… nice muscleback design. There’s new stuff out there. If not, plenty of stuff still floating around. Can’t see a problem with availability of gear until we get over a 10,000 players. Just too much stuff still out there. Recycling is good :smiley:

The problem with allowing any kind of cavity to conform for the TRGA event, is that you open that whole can of worms again.
How much is acceptable? It just isn’t necessary. We’ll have some good prize money, and if players want at it, they’ll play by our rules. If not, they can chase smaller purses around at poorly run mini tour events with frying pans and cavity backs and so on. To each their own.

So we keep pushing on… building upon what we did the year before, and so far we have grown every year and event. This year should be a very significant jump from the past.

It looks like it’s going to be a great event this year. I’d really like to be there, but round one falls on my little brother’s birthday so I doubt I can convince the family we need to spend a few days in Vegas for a golf tournament.

_KGrHqIOKpcE5k7N7jBDBOhGzjTERQ_60_35.jpeg_KGrHqQOKpEE5ZME29CDBOieT4P_m_60_35.jpeg_e_Vk_wCWM_KGrHqIOKokE0fS6R_e2BNP4pG4GEw__8.jpeg_B_0onRg_2k_KGrHqQOKigEwPnbKQpVBMPJCqzdP__35.jpegf500_2.jpeg_Bv1ZuUgBWk_KGrHqJ_j_Ev1_0FyVVBMGOwJfoMw__35.jpeg_KGrHqYOKpME4vNK_ly3BOYPVQsr_g_60_35.jpeg_KGrHqEOKowE35VW_09pBOCm0Wju-w__35.jpeg

So what’s kosher here, I would think all of this with one exception is rubbish but what happens when guys show up with this, have paid in advance and stuff? All of it was popular and sold a ton.

3,4,5 look ok.

3&4 are both cast & hollow, I would have thought the biggest offenders. And how is that Gooseneck ok but not the Mizuno 67 on the previous page with a dimple. I seriously don’t get where the line is, that last Mizuno True I would have thought would be fine and that Ping driver, its wood & not perimeter weighted. Its crap but how is it not in the ballpark?

Hard to tell looking at 2D pictures.

Most serious golfers know what a forged blade iron is void of any cavity back. Anyone trying to cheat the basic concept here probably should be playing some other event.

We’ll have plenty of extra sets on hand, and we have a repair shop that can bend sets and all that. It hasn’t been an issue at all.

If you don’t like the idea of what we are doing, don’t play.

Ouch…I play the Mizuno Trues (for as long as I can remember - Mizuno Grads previous to that) and those are my bent ABS set. They’re forged and really no different than sticking a bunch of lead tape on the sweet spot of a blade.

Well, I’ve never been much of a conformist. :wink:

Captain Chaos

Vic’s been the club spec guy, so I have only just shared my input. I can’t tell by 2D photos if those are big side cavities or not.

I know Mizuno had made some nice classic forged blades in the past.