Caddies

I know it’s not architecture, but this seemed to be the best place for this question.

Where can you still play and hire a caddy for the day? This is almost dead in our game, I guess.
Everyone knows about St. Andrews. But, are there others, especially in America?
This is something I would like to do once in my life.

A few of the most exclusive courses in the Scottsdale area have caddies. I think most TPC layouts do too.

Does “exclusive” mean that I cannot play the course without being invited by a member?

Where are you? The far easier approach is to find a qualified tournament player in your area & try to find a contact from him. A lot of damn good college players caddy during the summer, two of my teammates looped at Cypress Point and absolutely loved it. Interview a few guys & hire someone yourself, there’s a bunch of guys all over the place & play wherever you want. Chances are it’ll be cheaper than a resort course & you’ll get a better loop.

Yep.

TPC scottsdale is accessible though. I know they have caddies, and I’ve caddied alongside a few of them.

Here’s an idea…

Bring a caddy out with you to any public golf course you can get on. Ask the pro shop if they can supply a caddy, which they won’t but will suggest a golf cart. Then tell them “no but ok, I’m glad I brought me own caddy”. If they deny your request to use your own caddy, call 1 -800- MYLAYWER and file a discrimination lawsuit first thing in the morning. :laughing:

Funny this comes up…I was just telling my wife last week how much I wished I could find a local track that I could hire on as a caddy on the weekends…make some extra cash, lose some weight…I think it would be an interesting part time gig actually. I am actually thinking of taking out a local Craigslist ad as an independent contract looper…seriously.

Andy

I have talked to the caddie masters at a few courses nearby. I will be starting as outside services in the fall if all goes as planned, and work my way up to caddying (much better pay).

Interview a few guys & hire someone yourself, there’s a bunch of guys all over the place & play wherever you want. Chances are it’ll be cheaper than a resort course & you’ll get a better loop.