Ambidextrous Golf

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0HDwxsZNFw[/youtube]

A clip I made after training with the concepts Michael J. Lavery presents in his book. It is a fascinatingly absorbing read that I recommend those interested in improving their lives, not to mention golf purchase and practice.

That’s cool Justin. I found that book interesting also, and experimenting with some of it myself. Would like to ask some questions if you don’t mind…When did you read the book? Do you mind sharing how long it took you to learn to juggle with your wedges like that, and what other things you are doing each day and for how long. ( handwriting, hammer drills, juggling with hand balls, etc). Specifically, are you doing the Module drills left handed? How far can you hit a wedge left handed? When you say improve your life , what do you mean?
Thanks/eagle

I basically come from a finance/psychology background in college and always had an interest in theories of learning etc.
I started reading the book and practicing the drills on 17 November 09, which wasnt so long ago. I am very diligent with my Whole Brain Power workbook and do the prescribed handwriting, memory and juggling drills on a daily basis except when I am travelling. I just enjoy doing it…everyday is a new challenge and that drives me.

The dual handed juggling video you see was my second attempt or day 2. Prior to those two days, I could never bounce a ball left handed.
The lightbulb moment came when I decided to hold 2 clubs instead of just one. VOILA. The right side started teaching the left side and the result is what you see in the video.

Because I plain enjoy whatever the work book prescribes, I just do as much as I want. It could be writing an entire page of information (anything from theories, my thoughts, scripture). Same goes for the juggling, I juggle the ball on a 7 pound sledgehammer while reciting the Power of 2, A-Z forwards and backwards till my forearms get pumped.

Unfortunately this is a golf forum, else I would post some pictures of my torso, I look like I am on anabolic steroids as a result of building my brain.

I have extended the principles of Whole Brain Power to ABS.
I basically do all the my module 1 and 2 both righty and lefty.
I have started putting from both sides with only the right or the left one handed.
By hitting balls with only one hand, what has happened is that my weaker left hand is now trained to "find "the ball. Listen to the sound of the strike in this clip

[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIdmhPUBEIM&feature=related[/youtube]

My lefthanded swing with the 60 degree wedge sends the ball 60 metres easily while my right handed swing will send it 75 metres.
I have not started with other clubs as I want to master the wedge first.
Standing righty, my right hand only and left hand only wedge shots get the ball 50 metres.
I will begin doing the same for the left side soon.

As to overall improvement in life, I find myself looking fitter, which translates into even more confidence (not that I had issues with that).
Mentally, I find that I do not get tired so easily and am able to maintain my focus for a much much longer time.
My memory has improved leaps and bounds - this coming from one whose college nickname was Mega Memory. My record was 150 mathematical formulae on Markov Chains, Differentiation and Integration
etc.

I am not better able to control my speech patterns with no monosyllabic answers.
In addition, my girlfriends have commented that I seem to be wittier with more "classic"comeback lines to their b***hy comments.
This is probably not the right place to mention this!

So when you add all those things up, yes, I am having more fun socially and workwise, things just get so much easier when you remember things accurately with no hesitation.

Hope that helps.

most interesting Justin.

I have decided to purchase it on your recommendation.

Are both the whole brain book and the workbook required or is it acceptable to get the brain book only?

Thanks Justin. I also have an interest in the psychology and biology of how people learn.

You picked up that wedge juggling real fast…that fascinates me.

I have wondered if there is a correlation between how fast someone can learn to do things like juggling balls, or wedge juggling, and their innate talent or athletic ability…as well as how age affects this acquisition speed( hard to teach and old dog new tricks). Would be a good research project.

I guess the kicker and mystery is the well known fact that great athletes in one arena, can struggle mightily with golf, and some really good golfers can be hackers and warm the bench in other sports.

Flop said he picked up juggling balls the first time he tried…that amazes me because it took me a weeks to get to where I could sustain a string of 6 tosses in a row with consistency.

In my experience pitching with the left handed 56 degree wedge, I am finding I am frequently shanking the ball off the toe, and I was never a shanker before…so this is telling me something…probably not using my wrist motors /sensors probably. Also, it is interesting how much effort I can put into a left handed pitch, and have the ball travel such a short distance. My troubles with left handed golf shows me how adults can struggle when they take up the game…and how critical tiny little things must be in order to create a quality golf shot. One would think “heck, I can do this right handed, just do the same thing left handed” Nope! It ain’t that easy for me.

I would get the workbook only if you are not too keen on all the theory behind WBP.
Otherwise, the textbook and the workbook form the complete package.

It is not as difficult as you think it is.

Approach this as you do ABS…part by part and you will get it!

I wouldn’t say I am not keen on the theory, rather the opposite in fact. I just wondered if both books were required, why are they not included in the one book if they are a complete package?

It would probably be a marketing reason and I am guessing.
The book itself is 300 pages and it may have been inconvenient to tack on more pages.
In any case…the drills are extremely fun and I look forward to them every morning!

I will get the whole package I think.

Can you elaborate on why you felt it has helped your gym training?

Here is the thing, I do not go to the gym!
Most who see me assume I do.
The book will explain why.

Ambidextrous Golfer

A group of male lawyers lived and died for their Saturday morning round of golf. One transferred to another city. It wasn’t the same without him…

A new woman lawyer joined their law firm. She overheard the guys talking about their golf round. She said, “You know, I used to play on my golf team in college and I was pretty good Would you mind if I joined you next week?”

The three guys looked at each other. Not one of them wanted to say ‘yes’, but she had them on the spot. Finally, one man said it would be okay, but they would be starting early – at 6:30 am.

He figured the early tee-time would discourage her. The woman said this may be a problem, and asked if she could be up to 15 minutes late. They rolled their eyes, but said okay. She smiled and said, “Good, I’ll be there at 6:30 or 6:45.”

She showed up at 6:30 sharp, and beat all three of them with an eye-opening 2-under par round. She was fun and pleasant person, and the guys were impressed. Back at the clubhouse, they congratulated her and invited her back the next week. She smiled, and said, “I’ll be there at 6:30 or 6:45.”

The next week she again showed up at 6:30 sharp. Only this time, she played left-handed. The three lawyers were incredulous as she still beat them with an even par round, despite playing with her off-hand. They were totally amazed, but wondered if she was trying to make them look bad by beating them left-handed.

They couldn’t figure her out. She was again very pleasant and didn’t seem to be purposely showing them up They invited her back again, but each man harbored a burning desire to beat her game.

The third week, the guys had their game faces on. But this time, she was 15 minutes late, which made the guys irritable. This week the lady lawyer played right-handed, and narrowly beat all three of them.

The men mused that her late arrival was due to petty gamesmanship on her part. However, she was so gracious and so complimentary of their strong play, they couldn’t hold a grudge.

Back in the clubhouse, all three guys were shaking their heads. This woman was a riddle no one could figure out. They had a couple of beers, and finally, one of the men asked her point blank, “How do you decide if you’re going to golf right-handed or left-handed?”

The lady blushed, and grinned… “That’s easy,” she said. "When my Dad taught me to play golf, I learned I was ambidextrous. I like to switch back and forth.

When I got married in college, I discovered my husband always sleeps in the nude. From then on, I developed a silly habit. Right before I left in the morning for golf practice, I would pull the covers off him. If his you-know-what was pointing to the right, I golfed right-handed; if it was pointed to the left, I golfed left-handed.

The guys on the team thought this was hysterical. Astonished at this bizarre information, one of the guys shot back, “But what if it’s pointing straight up in the air?”

She said, "Then, I’m fifteen minutes late

I bought the book and I’m still reading it. I find it to be right in my wheelhouse.

For starters, I had always said that if I could do it over again, I’d learn how to become ambidextrous. I thought it was advantageous, but i thought it was something you basically had to learn from an early age. Growing up there was a golfer that was about Lag’s age and played some mini-tours and was an awesome talent. Because there was no Nationwide Tour, he wound up quitting and getting his amateur status back. When he got it back, he was IMO, the best amateur golfer in NY, and one year went to the quarterfinals of the US Amateur, beating Manny Zerman (IIRC, Zerman was the #2 Amateur in the world). While that sounds impressive enough, he did this while working 3 different jobs and probably playing and practicing no more than once a week, if that.

One day we were playing a friendly round of golf and he had hit his drive by a tree and he just turned his clubhead upside down, swung it left handed (I thought his left handed swing was just as good as his right handed swing) and knocked it about 130 yard at the flagstick and had a 20 footer for birdie, made the birdie and went to the next hole.

Amazing and I thought he was just some overly talented individual…which would explain a lot since he had moderate length of the tee and just didn’t wow you with his game, but he wasn incredible to golf with. I think with this book we start to realize how a golfer can do that with ease and why it’s beneficial to be able to do things like that, beside the fact he was able to get out of a precarious position on the course.

A bit of this book is also based on the importance of handwriting. This actually makes a ton of sense to me as well as I’m always interested in the science of graphology (handwriting science). FBI profilers use graphology all of the time because handwriting analysis has eerie ways of profiling a person to a tee and if you ever watch those FBI Files shows and they do one on the FBI profilers, those guys can pretty much figure out the profile of a criminal that they don’t even know to a tee. And I think if handwriting analysis can tell the personality traits of the writer, than improving handwriting and being able to write with both hands should at least mean better hand-eye coordination, if nothing else. Anyway, I need to finish the book as I was working on some of the memory exercises (reciting the 50 states backwards, etc). But I’ve enjoyed the book so far.

3JACK

haven’t picked it up yet myself but am still planning to.

A friend I mentioned it to went ahead and got it and was very impressed.

You can’t go very far off with the book.
Am hitting my 7 iron 143 yards now left handed.
I hope to be able to play off an 18 handicap lefty in 3 months.

Decided to take the plunge!

Got it for £12 or so, should be here by the end of the week.

Will read and give my thoughts.

Ok I finished reading this book and it has me intrigued.

The ‘science’ is suspect at best but it seems like it will be worth a 90 day experiment.

I’m getting the workbook as a download shortly but if Justin doesn’t mind I’d like to pick his brains about the exercises he has been doing.

Can I PM you Justin?

i was speaking to Michael the other day after he commented on my little golf ball keep up video on you tube, he sent me a link to download the free version of his book, i found this very interesting and believe it is worthy of some experimentation, the one thing i have found is if you use a heavy hammer it really works your forearms out after a while and that can only be good for the module work that lag teaches here.

heres my latest video 4 days into trying the hammer keep ups
i was using a 4lb hammer.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa3vl08myoo[/youtube]