A Disciplined Workout

picasion.com_dc395709f2206a6ab61b789d15b14c93.gif

picasion.com_94f65a0c72afa2f833672fe1a34dd262.gif

Today I did a full ABS workout of all Modules including all the Superslotting variations.

I thought I would take a video of the first swing hitting a ball off the deck after I had finished the discipline.
It was nice to see the positive affect it had from transition, down to P3 on the chi line, and the increase in knee flex I was able to attain
through the strike while still rotating level and keeping the right arm firm post impact.

It really reminded me of a few things I had not been doing so well. The discipline of a complete comprehensive workout I think showed
the power of how this can help ingrain a lot of good things into the golf swing.

Here I swung my Mac DX Driver at 14.5 ounce with the rare Hogan #5 shaft. It’s my #2 weapon behind my Spalding Model 28 with the Gamma FIre.

After watching these a bit, it reminded me of one of my favorite captures of Moe and how much he could at times drop his core center of gravity and pressure down into his right foot before transferring left. It’s a great thing to feel and aspire to when done correctly.

The range of motion of your torso rotation from p3 to the finish is very impressive. It’s also nice how you keep your hips moving from impact to p4.

To train religiously through all those drills in one workout, then tee up a ball and strike it… it was nice to see the positive effect. A lot of good things going on I don’t necessarily do all the time when I am out playing etc. But there was no conscious thought going on here… just tee it and swing with all the proper feelings and intentions fresh into the mind and muscles.
I’m not a natural slotter, having trained TGM stuff as a youth, it was all about being on plane, not moving the shaft from the 3rd dimension back into plane from P3 to P4. This was a huge revelation for me a while back. I believe this is a much more sophisticated intention, and my ball striking has improved significantly… considering I rarely play and don’t hit balls. I’m a big believer in torso rotation over left leg snapping, and finishing the spine more vertical rather than the reverse C stuff… if not just to save our backs.

The hips move with each frame as they should. If you are truly swinging from your core, this will happen. Cohesive connection. We have to create this within our body. It won’t just happen. There are certain muscles that need conditioning, and others simply need to stay engaged.

There is a real correlation between slotting and pressuring down into the right leg. After doing a set of Mod 7 drills, that really got my right leg working better than it normally does. That combined with the SS stuff… I like the action of how the club feels in my hands as I am literally forced to pull the sword from the stone at P3. It’ hard work, but the golf ball really likes it.
It sure isn’t going left… and it’s not wanting to go right either when you are grinding hard turn level hard and fast with both major rotations.

I consider myself a good test subject because my body resists change as much as anyone’s!

Your flexibility and rom is incredible. Your work here just totally blew me away. The thought of how to work the right leg/knee is hyper-critical to success. Something that is coming to me…what Bradley has mentioned in passing, and if missed, well then, missed. The idea that you can use the right knee/leg flex to get the left hip to work correctly in the downswing. No need to pop that hip, which creates so many problems.

Seriously beautiful work here. John. It’s interesting. If you know how to work the right side down and then out, using ground pressures to start, sky’s the limit. That’s what I see…I’m linking this on another forum, it’s that good.

Could you expand on this, please?

I’m not a natural slotter, having trained TGM stuff as a youth, it was all about being on plane, not moving the shaft from the 3rd dimension back into plane from P3 to P4. This was a huge revelation for me a while

I think of natural slotters as those whose apply active forearm rotation through transition not necessarily knowing they do it, and not having the ability to NOT do it.

Learning TGM, I was taught to keep the butt end of the shaft on the downswing pointing down at the plane line… not “up the wall” which is the by product of proper forearm rotation. You see this with most all great strikers.

When you leave the “on plane world” you introduce the shaft into the third dimension. The path of the shaft becomes 3D… more like a table top that you then push upright into a more vertical disposition. If you think of a RH baseball pitcher’s arm, it reaches back toward the first baseman, not straight back behind toward second base. This increases the ROM as the legs and torso work more in a rotary motion with the addition of weight transfer which makes the entire action more oblong.

Same thing in a golf swing just that the orientation of different… roughly 90 degrees… meaning the pitchers hand path is over his shoulder approaching peak velocity while the golfer’s is down near the hips.

From working with the Superslotting stuff for over a year now… it’s the right way to do things. It makes sense and it feels correct. I really regret not learning this stuff when I was a teen. I would have had a much more successful career as a player, and the CR putting method I now teach here at ABS is pure gold bars. I putt better now with zero practice than I did working on my putting 2 hours a day when I was on tour. It’s just going back to the old way they did it… way back… putting with a golf club and using a golf swing, not a putter and a putting stroke. Works for some… never did for me.

Better late than never, and I am thankful I can share this stuff with the ABSers here, so that for those willing to take the time and put it a bit of work, great ball striking with the old skill set is attainable.

As I have said a million times, there is a lost art to striking blade long irons, and persimmon. They are still the best tools to play on a truly dynamic golf course… like Merion this year. Golf has gone sideways for now… I am sure it will come back at some point, but it’s like archery that is now about how far you shoot the bow. The great strikers were never about swinging for the fences. It was about explosive yet compact application of force and acceleration driven by the core or chi of the human body. Until this is understood again we won’t see consistent great ball striking by anyone.

So the golf swing becomes more this kind of thing… rather than swinging across a flat piece of plywood which is real swing wrecker stuff.

2.jpg

Shaft climbing the wall ( not TGM Flashlight swing killer stuff)

But the trick is to work the shaft back on plane from P3 through impact to P4… and this is why we all start off at Module 1.
You have to learn that before you can attempt this stuff… slotting and all that. You can’t approach the golf swing sequentially… at least not in my opinion.

Thanks. Whats’ the orientation of the 3-d graphic…uprange?

It’s a generalization… in that we can’t be thinking straight lines, flat planes and right angles. That’s not a dynamic golf swing.
The TGM Model is not properly relevant to a golf swing unless you are just chipping balls 30 feet from a square stance.

Yes, as I thought. Ugh, please take this down. I wouldn’t even attempt this from a 30 yard chip.

Now, on another note, I want an opinion of something I’ve been thinking about. If we could make golf more about hitting a moving ball, as in baseball, soccer, etc., it would make it an easier sport. So, I’ve been working with trajectory windows, specifically w/driver, but instead of having a stationary window floating out there high up in the sky down the fairway, where you want to hit through, I’ve been moving the window.

So, for a high driver draw, the window is moving left to right across the fairway and you pick the window you want to hit the ball into, not at the window. For a high driver fade, the window moves right to left across the fairway. What I’m finding is that this smooths transition considerably, because you’re waiting to pick your window. Like skeet shooting.

You control the speed of the window moving with your backswing. So, in effect, the window is the ball and you’re hitting a moving ball.

I remember playing on the Canadian Tour and talking to a fellow pro who was working on a similar concept. He was imagining hitting the ball through air hoops in the sky particularly on courses with few or no trees. It was something a golf psychologist was suggesting to him. He said golf became more fun and creative. He would also make them different colors and sizes depending on his mood and the shot. It seemed to have helped him a bit as he landed a couple top ten finishes and attributed his success directly to this kind of visual thinking.

I like how short Moe swings his arms swing back here, but you can see that he has turned his body alot.

The Famous (at least around these parts) Snead diagram.