2010 Australian Masters

SERGIO GARCIA FIRES UP!!

After looking like he was hitting it sideways on Tuesday and then shooting 73 (+2) in the first round…

Then came the 2nd round today.

The wind is gusting up to 60-70kph (approx 40-45mph) Sergio hit 17 greens (holing out for birdie on the green he missed) to shoot 65 (-6) to move from 40th to currently 4th.

Super round of golf in the conditions.

When you have a good golf swing like Sergio does, it’s a lot easier to turn things around. Once he feels how the club is releasing, and adjusts the intensity of the strike to match, and then feels his alignment to match what the ball is doing coming off the clubface, sometimes it’s just a little thing such as a slight ball position change that can instantly turn things around. It’s a lot easier to get back to good ball striking if your basically a good ball striker.

I caught a bit of the event, and saw that Tiger has had two rounds of 33 putts. That pretty much tells it all. If he had 28 putts a round, he shaves off 10 shots and he’s leading.

Did Tiger hit a 320 meter (380 yard) drive on 17? or was I just coming out of a dream dozing off between infomercials?
In my dream he hit a lousy 7 iron to 50 feet that sent the crowd applauding because they call it a par 5 and he was amazingly on in two shots?

Tiger is not even considered all that long by tour standards anymore.

I’m going back to bed, that couldn’t have happened, not in Australia. Right?

Yes he hit it that far down 17. It was a strong wind behind and if you hit it down the right hand side hugging the water it will kick forwards off the slope.

I played in a pro am 2 weeks ago and hit a drive 365m on a par 5 and had 100m SW into the green. Easy 2 putt birdie. <Insert strong wind behind, firm fairway, TM Penta Ball, warm day and both feet off the ground at impact> but enough about me!

The guys on Tuesday and Wednesday at the Masters were hitting 3 woods and rescues on 17 to be able to hit it left off the tee away from the water and finish short of the fairway bunker.

What do you think happened to Sergio today Willow? Lag?

Playing in the rain can be tough… sometimes you can hang on for a decent round, other times you can’t. It’s more of a survival game, and tough to rely on just ball striking. Grips get wet, feet slip around, especially with plastic golf spikes,
and it’s easy to mishit a few shots and lose confidence.

With the rain, the course looked like it played distance wise the way it’s supposed to, and that might have been a bit shocking for some of the guys to have to hit all the clubs in their bag.

I remember being a shot off the lead going into the final round of the Tasmanian Open, and having to play in a wicked rain and wind, and shot 79 on Sunday. After the round I went downtown and grabbed a bite, and the waitress showed me how to fold a napkin into those little crown designs you place on the table. I still remember how to do that, but I don’t remember how many three putts I had that day… or how many schooners I drank that night either. :unamused:

Any chance of an instructional video of this Lag? I’d like to see that…

No doubt, golf pros have way too much spare time on their hands while on tour…

Rod Morri, this instructional video is for your eyes only!

advancedballstriking.com/napkin.MP4

I have only one word…GOLD!