Woods Bros. Texan....PLEASE VERIFY

Rob,
I spoke to Dave Wood today. We spoke for a long time. I did bring up the screw as he calls “the hurricane in the gulf of mexico” (Texas sole plate)… The screw really doesn’t serve much purpose and they could have done without it. He put it in his clubs really to show that the club has the original shaft. If somebody returned a club and said there was a problem with a crack in the neck or something along those lines and the screw wasn’t there, they knew it was altered and reshafted. Plus the screw gave the club a more finished look as well. Those were the 2 main reasons.

Just for Freddiec

here are some pics of my Wood bros driver

I used this driver in 93 world series at Firestone. 93 International 94 Presidents Cup 95 US Open and 96 British Open…would try a few metals in between times but this always found it’s way back into my bag…

hey 96 British , maybe that makes me the last person to use a persimmon driver in a Major? they say Davis Love 3 stopped using his around the end of 95…might be a search engine look up

I did have another driver in a blond color that i had as back up but never used and a 3 wood in brown that I never used- got rid of them a few years ago- wish i had kept them now :unamused:

CIMG4409.JPGCIMG4410.JPGCIMG4412.JPG

Two,
Thanks for posting the pics, funny you would post these, because I was gonna ping you and see if you would post a pic of two of some of your persimmon tour gamers. That one is great looking, awesome head shape and its still in excellent condition. I love the WB Texans, just great blocks. You sure got a lot of good play out of that one and its been around! And, yeah, you might have been one of the last Tour players to bag wood. How cool is that. Thanks again. Got the prestige balls today, btw. :slight_smile:

Great pics, cool to see it.
On another note, I just can’t believe they missed that paint fill right in the middle there :wink:
BWB.jpg

Glad you saw that Bom…I really just picked the paint out with a tee to make it look like i flushed it in the middle a lot :smiley:

LOL good one

I had wash mine off so as not to embarass myself…At least no sky marks!

bent

Bradley, your Texan really resembles the head shape of an deep face early 50s Mac. I have a 5 screws M85, the 1st “eye o matic” model , with a similar shape, min. face progression. I still like yours better :smiley: , Dave was a Master.
Jan29_M85w5.jpg

I’d like to propose a moratorium on all Wood Bros and/or pristine (or “sick”) M75/M85 driver pictures until drool-proof keyboards are readily available. At a minimum please provide advance warning of picture content so viewers can be duly prepared. :slight_smile:

This applies primarily to Arnie, Freddie, NRG and Two (although I would like to get a look at Bradley’s TRGA winning weapon of choice off the tee)… pictures please Bradley. :smiley:

robbo

I’m not sure you could’ve gotten it more central using a tee with the head clamped in a damn vise! That says it all…good stuff, man…

What shaft have you got in that, Bent? It’s a beautiful thing…

Here are my Wood Brothers Driver and Three wood.
Might be the world’s only 48 degree Lie angle WB?

4.jpg5.jpg
2.jpg

The 3 Wood

1.jpg

Bom
thanks man—it’s even better in real life!!
the shaft is the original DG S300…

I just picked up a 3 wood with same shaft—this one may need some refinishing, but I havent received it yet…pics to follow…
fun stuff!!
If you drive 4 hours north and I will let you hit it to your hearts content!

bent

Well the reason I asked was because if the flex had have stared with an X, then I would’ve driven 4 hours north and you never would’ve seen it again :mrgreen:
Though hitting does sound like fun…
Chat to you later…
BOM

[/quote]
If you drive 4 hours north and I will let you hit it to your hearts content!

[quote]
Bom, feel privileged. That’s one club that Bentshaft doesn’t bring to the course that often. But when he does…he shares it without selfishness.

Well Bom, I feel safer knowing it’s an “S” instead of an "X’ so come on up!

Hoganut ought to know…I brought a new purchase (MacGregor driver) to the range about 6 months ago;
I let him hit it for 15 minutes and haven’t seen it since (other than in HIS bag!) LOL
Good times!!

bent

TRGA winning persimmon driver

I believe it to be from the late 40’s because it is MacGregor…my guess is 1948, but someone may know better
It has been reshafted with an Apex 5 and I stuck a Gripmaster leather grip on it
Lag loved it because it sat absolutely perfect to the lie angle he sets his clubs up… he thought it cool because that was standard for the day…flat lie (close to 48 degrees like his are I believe) without any adjustments.

CIMG4428.JPGCIMG4429.JPGCIMG4430.JPG

That’s a magical club for sure.

I hit one ball with it on the range and just absolutely flushed it… so I knew I was in trouble!

It sat pretty close to mine at 48 degree lie angle…
Maybe 49 and no more than 50 for sure.

I was surprised how flat it set up stock. It seems like they really had the gear set up correctly in the 1940’s… seems gear got slightly more upright in the 50’s and then a bit more when Nicklaus came along. Stock persimmons seemed to slowly get more upright into the late 70’s and through the 80’s.

Hogan developed his swing obviously from flatter lie angles back in the 30’s and 40’s. They definitely knew what they were doing then, because they clearly understood the advantages of flat lie angles. Then the golf swings had a chance to evolve from how the gear that was presented, and naturally shaped itself around the body, not up and over everyone’s head like it does today with the 64 degree stuff you find in the pro shops.

Thanks for the pics Two!

That thing looks like a beast!

Thats a great looking block Two. They don’t show that model in my MacGregor History Catalog, but during the 40s a lot of the models weren’t shown in the book for some reason, but I’d also think mid to late 40s.

For Robbo, Robbo, this is a warning, be careful not to druel on your precise keyboard.

Here is a Texan that was just refinished. Its unique as they come. Its the only one that Dave Wood put his signature on and was used by Bernhard Langer for about 3 years extensively starting in 1987. A lot over in Europe. It has a S500 shaft. I’m not sure of the swing weight, but feels about D4. I’ve hit this a bunch of times and its awesome. Shaft is a little strong for me, but I can still hit it very well. Dave later built a custom one for Langer, which he used in 93 to win the Masters. This was not a custom, but a demo Dave showed him on the range at the LA Open. Langer hit it so well, he kept it.
FC3.jpg
FC2.jpg
FC1.jpg