Post your new ebay purchases

[b]I agree on lengths—

and i sure understand about the grips—the all original clubs we are buying arent worth that much money,
but it is stll hard for me to rip off those old original grips!! Most of them have that original “cap” on the
butt end—so slick you can barely hold on, yet it hurts me every time put a knife to them…[/b]

Very true! I left my Hagen 2i intact just to keep that original grip and cap, only problem is when I need to hit that club I run a serious risk of throwing the club with the ball! :laughing:

How about the way they put those old leather grips on??!!

Replacing/re-gripping the leather grips of the PT3’s went something like:

1. Cut the lower plastic band on the grip and pry it off.

2. Unwrap the leather from bottom to butt end.

3. Unwrap some sort of “paper underlay”… approx 100 yards of it per grip.

4. Clean up any paper underlay that’s still attached to the shaft… btw what IS that adhesive they used? Tar?

5. Try and clean up any remaining “tar” left on the grip with solvent (gloves are mandatory).

6. Cut the butt cap retainer off in 50 small chunks.

7. Install new grip and realize the shaft diameters are smaller so you have to build up the shaft with tape.

Re-grip 8 irons and you can justify missing a module 3 workout cause your arms/hands are so fatigued!

robbo

robbo-my hands are tired just reading !
[size=150]
And now—without further ado—we have the prize of the month[/size]!

1957 MacGregor MT M85W Super Eye-O-Matic Tourney

macg1.JPG

macg2.JPG

macg3.JPG

[b]I am cranky and cynical about 98% of my day ( I trade the markets) but when I unwrapped these babies,
I damn near had a tear in my eye—soooo beautiful…

Guys, I know it sounds insane—but these are the ones I wrote about not too long ago—

29 dollars…[/b]
macg4.JPG

bent,

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

And at that price!

Double-sweet.

robbo

Absolutely stunning! Great buy, very envious. :laughing:

Redheads are sweet too!!! :laughing:

My first set of Spalding irons. We used to always chuckle about Top Flite’s… referring to their balls as “Rock-Flites”, but I’m beginning to think that their irons were way under-rated. I’ve been lusting for a set of Birdie on Ball’s for a while now, but never came across a decent deal. These were less than $50.

This set of TF Tour Editions (mid-80’s) are amazingly similar to my KZG Zero Offsets… what goes around comes around. After taking a full inventory of my sets I’m done with vintage iron purchases for awhile, unless I see a nice set of Wilson’s pop up. :slight_smile:

bob001.jpg
bob002.jpg
bob003.jpg
bob004.jpg

robbo

Bird on the Balls always look nice Robbo!

I picked up these MacGregor MT Tourney Irons today from a local ebay seller - 2-10 irons. They are in almost unused shape and have Mac Tourney steel #1 shafts which I think are stiff. From what I am led to believe they are not a particularly sort after model but they feel pretty heavy and have quite a thick top line which just looks like lots of mass to me so I like it.

Cheers,

Arnie
MTironset.jpg
MTgrips.jpg
MTbacksmall.jpg
MTbackDTL.jpg

AA,

Split soles? Mine have the “1” shafts and they feel very very stiff, more like an X.

btw…when do we put you on “ebay probation”? :smiley: Thank God I’m done with vintage iron searching… in the back of my mind I always felt I might be bidding against you!!!

Cheers,

robbo

Here are some other bargains I picked up recently sniffing around on ebay in the UK:

1. 3-SW set of Ram Tour Grinds with Brunswick 5.5 shafts
  2. 3-PW set of Slazenger TPM Supremos with S300s - these look really flat though I havn’t measured them yet
  3. 3-PW set of Macgregor Nicklaus 67s (missing an 8 iron) - these seem quite similar to the Muirfield model - a bit thinner and longer heel to toe than the the MTs with possibly a bit more offset.

Cheers, Arnie
SlazTPM3ironDTLsmall.jpg
RamTourGrind3ironDTLsmall.jpg
Mac67ssmall.jpg

Hi Robbo,

No these arn’t split soles, be nice if they were, but otherwise seem v similar. In terms of probation as a repeat offender I am not sure I qualify! Mrs Arnie is thinking of a custodial term I think. :smiley:

Cheers,

AA

ok… I give up. I suggest ABS allows no more complaining about lack of vintage gear east of the U.S. And I don’t care if you’re left-handed.

I also suggest a forum monitored by AA titled “avoiding divoce while making multiple ebay purchases”.

robbo

Matching left and right hands sets, nice idea Robbo, I’ll get working on it…

Mrs Arnie is very tolerant though come to think of it I havn’t see her for a while, I wonder where she is? She did seem quite chatty for a while with the guy who delivers all the clubs though. Hope I havn’t swapped her inadvertantly for a set of Dynapowers by mistake…

[b]This thread is just beautiful—some of the deals we have gotten are amazing…
but sadly, Robbo and I are in the same boat (I still want some redlines :unamused: )…I have 3 awesome iron sets and 3 Lovely sets of persimmons…and I have
Lag’s favorite wedge in the mail(I will have pics)
but enough is enough…It sure has been fun…I just don’t have the room…And i need to learn how to hit 'em!

I look forward to seeing all the new goodies from other ABS ers…

Price wise—It still is amazing to me—3 sets of some of the greatest irons ever made…3 sets of lovely persimmon…and the greatest wedge ever made…

all for less than the retail cost of a new driver…[/b]

I suggest we have a “1st Anniversery” of ABS and all related activity somewhere in early 2010.

Of course the logical location for the event will be the home of Annington Arnie. AA… please forewarn Mrs AA far enough in advance to have everything ready to go. I was going to suggest that all ABS members bring their favorite set of irons or persimmons, but it will be easier to simply have AA provide the duplicate he already has in the “AA ABS Museum”.

Perhaps a live auction for a set of persimmons and/or mb irons would be in order. AA won’t be allowed to bid but he’ll be required to sit up front while the bidding occurs. That in itself might be worth the airfare!!! :smiley:

robbo

Love this thread, too. Just purchased some Haig Ultras '67. I finally outbid some of you guys :smiley: . Had to pay a pretty penny though due to their “9” condition…$61 :wink: Also won a '60s Cleveland Classic TC15 3-wood to go with my Driver ($12). Will have pics up next week. In addition, got outbid for an iron set SOLD by CheeseDonk. This is getting weird :unamused: .
Grad

61 bucks and overpaid :laughing: —life is good at ABS!!!

Just received a set of 1965-66 Ben Hogan Percussions with the 3" hosel today – 3-E, all for about $30 + freight and 1-5 laminated woods. I took a chance as the pics weren’t great and the clubs weren’t described that well and it turned out well. They have Reg shafts, but I’ll be switching them out. They’re in great condition…

Pic is from the auction. I might post more later.
CIMG2514.jpg

Some more quick pics - my camera makes the condition look worse than it is. I used to think the Hogans looked a little strange. Now I think everything else looks strange. Love the blade-on-blade shape progression from low to high lofts. Now I just have to find a 2i to round out the set…
IMG00087-20091209-1157.jpg
IMG00061-20091204-1721.jpg
IMG00063-20091204-1722.jpg