U.S. Open at Pinehurst

I think the restoration to the Donald Ross original design is a thing of beauty, but what are your thoughts for it being an open venue? Fairways 50-60 yards wide and no rough to speak of? Better play firm/fast or it’s going to be Congressional all over again…

My thoughts,

Don’t fix what is not broken. Go with the original layout and intention of the author (Ross) complete with the course, gear and the ball.

Golf was the greatest game ever from roughly 1935 to 1995 because the gear and ball had developed for the golfers correctly to promote accuracy and lateral curvature - control of the ball. Since then it’s been about increasing only distance which has obsoleted the original intentions of the game.

I agree Lag… The original Ross design was no rough and sandy areas with wide fairways… The course playing 7500 yards is ridiculous though, not needed for one tournament every 10 years when 99.9% of the people play it are 18 handicappers at $400 a pop plus caddy fees… My home course is a 6500 yard Ross design and as tight as it is it’ll jump up and grab ya quick of you hit it off line… I passed an idea with the head pro to have a persimmon tourney there and he said possibly, and if it goes through the average fairway will be about 25 yards wide, trees hugging the fairways, slick Ross greens and 4 inch rough… Hope it happens…