The importance of understanding your golf swing

Remember, it is always best to be both the artist, designer, and mechanic…

I can’t imagine playing golf and not having a very good understanding of what is going on…

There are many teachers that will say things like “don’t be so mechanical” or something like that… often the people saying that don’t really understand the mechanics, so they teach from the “smoke and mirrors” perspective.

I remember a very well known and respected teacher who told me point blank… “John, if you ever want to make a living teaching golf, there is only one thing you have to do to make people come back…
make sure they are hitting the ball better at the end of the lesson than at the beginning of the lesson…!! and by the way, as they work through a bucket of balls, more times than not, they will be hitting it better at the end of the lesson just from hitting the bucket…”

He was a band aid teacher, and he made a very good living teaching, and everyone loved him, very personal guy, and just would tell them one little thing, and compliment them on how much better they were than last week…

Bottom line is… I actually totally agree with him… that’s why I have never been interested in teaching the general public as a profession.

I might be interested in doing clinics, and maybe teaching an advanced ball striking class… and I actually do like beginners because they have no bad habits to break… fresh clay really.

I think I would be very tough and too demanding for most students,
and I would drop them if I didn’t get 110% back from them…
Golf has never been a money thing for me… I have always been in it for the love of the game, and the art of the motion.

I turned professional only because I believed it would be a better vehicle to improve my skill level as a player… the money I made on tour just supported that position, sponsors and so forth, and enabled
me more time than if I had to work another job all week…