The COAM myth thread

[b][i]“ What is good in Homer’s Golfing Machine”

“ I think a good thing is an attempt to standardize terminology… “[/i][/b]

lagpressure,

You are of the opinion that one of the major merits of Homer Kelley is his impressive efforts to standardize terminology. Hence you value very much the value of clear well defined terminology as a means of useful communication.

It took hundreds of years to come to grasp with concepts such as mass and force and various other related derived concepts and to finally ponder the corresponding definitions as we find them in text books nowadays. Are you really serious preaching that we can nevertheless change well established scientific definitions to suite our purpose?

There is clearly a dichotomy. Clear definitions are welcome in golf but well established scientific definitions can be taken and changed as desired. :wink:

Mandrin,

I think TwoMasters (and I am speaking only from knowing him through his posts) posted Dante, uploads pictures of many other golfing greats, and shares other old/obscure tomes of golf with us because it reinforces how far instructors have fallen from what it takes to teach golfers a solid swing. His posts also reinforce how “classic” the instruction is here. It’s old school, but it’s a path that has been lost through too many computers, slow motion capture, teaching pro philosophers and snake-oil salesmen.

TwoMasters is a pro…he’s learning to trust instincts again. For many, dissecting each bit of information is a trap. We’re learning to avoid that trap and train our bodies/minds to forget the garbage and instill the good stuff. Banter is good. Questioning is good, but for God’s sake…some of you guys are tedious at best!

My apologies to 2M if I’m way off base.

Cheers,
Capt. Chaos

CaptainChaos,

I agree with the gist of your post. Science indeed has little to do with the art of hitting a golf ball and much more with selling expensive high tech stuff. But I do like the simple truth being it related to science or otherwise.

Explain to me why the proud and arrogant self congratulatory bunch at LBG glorify themselves in their ‘science’ and yet are scared of me as if I could spread some ignominious sickness. Why are the bunch at iseekgolf banning me?

Because in their heart of hearts, whilst glorifying their idol and his ‘science’, they are still very insecure about the validity of all their fancy pseudo science stuff. Nobody should be allowed to scratch even the surface.

Progress is through putting things on the table and not by hiding things in secret dark secluded places. Is advanced ball striking advanced in this respect? Or again is only acceptable that what fits in nicely and does not rock the boat? :wink:

Mandrin,
By acceptance do you mean that people will just agree with you? I can’t see any other form of acceptance that you could have a problem with on this site. You, me and everyone here are free to roam with their ideas, but that doesn’t mean that they should be just accepted as fact. I can’t understand why you would be asking if ABS is welcoming of ideas and free thought. In fairness, you’ve been peddling your anti COAM ideas for a few months now, to the point that it’s actually humourous. You even have your own thread for gods sake- it’s un-ironically called, “the COAM myth”. How much more openness and acceptance of outside ideas do you need? I’m going on the record by saying that I fully believe that you don’t advocate for the presence of COAM in the golfswing, and that I don’t really know what it means :slight_smile: I really enjoy ideas being thrown around, and you are clearly as free as a bird to express yours here as often as you like. Long may it continue!
Cheers,
B

…if golf really was reliant on science like we are lead to believe by so many who are scientists and not golfers then it should go without saying that the golfers of today shouldn’t be missing fairways or greens and all should be shooting 63 every day-- going by the supposed advancements the game has undertaken with tuition and with equipment… however the days of 14 out of 14 fairways and 18 greens in regulation are still reverberating around Merion or somewhere back in the 1980’s

Capt Chaos…you are correct… I had no idea who Dante was until 3 days ago. I pulled a book from my shelf. I flicked through and lo and behold there was an entire chapter about COAM. A subject I had never even heard of until this thread was started the day before i pulled the book. Co-incidence I thought- why not post some of it for reference.
I posted it for pure observation for the members of the site as i am one of lag’s contributors and helpers. I honestly don’t know who mandrin is and how he came up with his tests and all the red lines and blue lines and torques that he laid out in his thesis either…it meant nothing to me…so who should we believe about COAM?.. WHO CARES
If you polled the top 200 on the World ranking and asked what is COAM? I bet less than handful would know and less than that would really care…if science really doesn’t mean much…as was stated…then why do people dwell on it and worry so much about it all and think the magic formula to good golf is locked up inside it all somehow?

Just my two cents…the Dante book is one of my all time favorites and in fact is required reading for every new Balance Point student who signs up for one of our golf swing schools like Great Shot! They read Dante, Boomer, Clampett’s book, the new Haney book, Hebron’s “Secrets and Lies”, Rotellas “Golf of Your Dreams” and a few others. All reading to be done prior to attending the school.

I think Mandrin has it right from a technically correct definition standpoint and since he is a scientist I can respect his concern over the proper use of language. I am the same way in how we use terms and language here at Balance Point. Words matter. For example, I never use the term “shoulder” as I don’t believe the shoulder as the term is commonly understood has any role whatsoever in a good golf swing. It has a role in a very bad swing to be sure. We prefer the term “shoulder girdle” or the top of the torso, a part of the Pivot.

My take is that Dante was trying to explain - way back in 1962 I think - what today we call the kinetic chain. He is describing the transfer of momentum from one body segment to the next, and finally to the club. I dont think that was an improper description - just the wrong term, ie COAM. And why is that so important to learning how to strike a golf ball better? Easy…its in the book and my own teaching experience backs it up. He was advocating what some call a “late hit” or late wrist cock angle release. Late is a misnomer, it is actuallly a “right on time” release of the angle.

Many of his golf students, like my own, just could not comprehend how such a “late release” could happen and still square up the clubface. It looks to be - from a common sense perspective - physically impossible. And yet the photographic evidence shows that the pros do indeed square the face up from the ABS P3 position, to impact, and most of that is achieved by simple Pivot Thrusting and then letting the momentum feed into the wrist joint to open up the angle. Or - you can actively use the forearm muscles to assist the momentum in opening up the angle even faster, like Lag prefers. Both ways can work, I prefer the passive way for most of my students. Everything else is identical between ABS and B Point regarding this part of the swing: tight arms, hands and club moving left, post-impact pivot, frozen right arm, etc.

So - Dante was using science (even though he got the term wrong) as a way of CONVINCING his many skeptical students that this Magic Move he was attempting to teach them was real, and concrete and not only possible to learn how to do well, but that even one’s intellectual mind could comprehend why that was so. My guess is that - like me and Lag and many teachers in the “modern” era, he had a lot of very analytical students who literally would not accept the concept and train with it, UNTIL and UNLESS you could convince them scientifically that the concept was 100% correct.

Which gets me to Two and some others’ points here. I can explain the WHY as well as anybody teaching in the game today - Manzella, Lag, Doyle, Bennet and Plummer, O’ Grady, Grober, HK, Leadbetter, Hebron, etc. But as the years go by I find myself having much better success with the analytic type students, to get them to throw away their mental crutches, ie the dependence on so-called 100% verifiable scientific truth, that actually is BY FAR the biggest obstacle to their ability to learn how to hit a golf ball well. Basically, I say something like this: “Do you want to spend your time and your money having a long, detailed debate over everything I am asking you to do - (at $130 hour or $1200 day for a Private School )- or would you like to make some really rapid progress here and start to really learn something that will help you to develop the skill of better ballstriking?” Most will say, yes to that new course. Then I test them for two things: mental focus ability and the ability to feel their body. I ALWAYS find that the analytic types have both poor mental focus and poor body awareness. No wonder they thought that the golf swing is an intellectual mystery, a puzzle, an enigma that has an intellectual solution!

Here is a real work example. I had a new student come to work with me this year who has been to pretty much every “name” instructor in this country over the past five years of taking up the game, including somevery well know names from Internet golf forums. His average score was still in the 105-115 range after all of that instruction and a ton of practice both at home and at the range. He was extremely intellectual and very well read and possessed more intellectual knowledge of swing theory than most golf teachers I know. The problem was that he had no sensory feel-based awareness for his own body and club motion during the swing. In essence, he was not present - awake and alive inside his swing. So even though he knew intellectually that he was succumbing to the Hit Impulse and several other Fatal Flaws, he never had actually experienced those flaws in his body. The flaw was literally only in his mind. Because his mind and body were split - light years apart from each other. We did a lot of body awareness drills and mental focus drills and very quickly he was able to actually do a lot of the body moves that the other teachers has wanted him to do, but which he simply could not do - because of his mind/body split and lack of awareness. As a result, his ballstriking improved dramatically - much better than I had expected.

My point is that the more I hang out at Internet golf forums and read some of the long-winded debates about the most incredibly tiny details of what may or may not occur during a swing segment that might last for a tenth of a second or even much shorter time duration, or with this body part or that body part, it makes me wonder if at least some of the people participating in those debates on a regular basis, are really just completely missing the point about what golf is all about and what learning golf is all about.

BPS1,

That was a wonderful post… I could not have said it better. I hope a few can take that to heart.

Mandrin,

I do like us all speaking the same language as much as possible.

What in your mind is the correct scientific term for holding the angle created by wrist cock from the top of the backswing down to P3… ready to be released (actively or passively)

I personally don’t use the term COAM with my students because when I do they get a glazed look in their eyes… which does no one any good.

What do you call it?

because you keep starting threads about something that has little relevance at all to golf and then are rude to anyone who takes issue with it?

Seriously, as many people have pointed out, this COAM myth really makes nop difference to how I hit a golf ball. Whether it is there or not, I hit the ball.

Would you be happy if everyone just agreed with you? Would that make you stop banging on about this? This is a golf forum not a science forum.

Mandrin,

I appreciate your point of view. However, we aren’t LBG or iseekgolf. Many that are here learning were also banned, warned or “attacked” in some manner at those forums as well. Rock the boat all you want, but it seems like you are trying to get everyone to validate your views. Your method of questioning is akin to a prosecuting attorney and I’m certain that makes people feel uncomfortable or distrustful of your motives.

I’m an engineer and I know we have plenty of scientific people here, but my suggestion is to tone down the inquisition style and move slowly. You’ll find everyone more receptive and more apt to participate and digest what you are trying to say.

For example, putting an emoticon after your last comment isn’t appropriate. You’ve essentially make the suggestion that advanced ball striking may be of the same “clanish” ilk as LBG or iseekgolf…no emoticon softens that blow. And you couldn’t be more wrong. No cliques here, only golfers hungry to learn and share.

I’ve said my piece…

Cheers,

Capt. Chaos

BPGS1,

It might come perhaps as a surprise but I do wholeheartedly agree with your remarks. Both you and lagpressure show clearly a remarkable openness of mind. I am fully aware that teaching students is not the same as a biomechanics admonishing everyone, a Jeffmann dissertating in minute detail what golf is all about or a mandrin producing nice looking diagrams. But we all try to bring our modest contribution to the table.

Some people are seemingly wishing I was not there preferring to keep talking about playing and struggling heroically in the dirt as this is considered some sort of noble and superior approach. Yet because of my posts you got inspired to produce indeed a very interesting one, which everybody can enjoy. Progress comes about when the negative brings out the positive, when critique inspires a rebuttal, feeding the eternal tidal wave of yin and yang.

With regard to the concept of either kinetic chain or coam. Joe Dante did summit his questioning about release action to Professor Dr. Ira Freeman, professor of physics at the Rutgers University. Dr Freeman suggested as explanation the concept of angular momentum, primarily basing himself on the multiflash photographs made by Dr Harold Edgerton of MIT of which two photographs are in the book and also posted in this thread.

Hence just as for centrifugal force it is definitely also partly the scientists themselves one can blame for any existing confusion. But it is definitely angular momentum chosen by Joe Dante and it became the foundation of his explanation of the indeed truly puzzling club release action. I feel there being very few truly interesting books on golf. Joe Dante’s book is definitely one of those few books, truly way in advance of his time. You are quite correct to mention kinetic chain action as this is the more appropriate way to look at the golf swing as it a typical multibody dynamics problem, where the interaction between the linked segments plays a crucial role.

With regard to your comments about feel vs analytical type students, I remember reading an anecdote about Bob Toski, giving a lesson to a big husky male student. Toski getting utterly frustrated, not getting anywhere since the fellow did not have any sensory feel-based awareness, finally bit him briskly in the forearm, exclaiming, now do you feel this.

lagpressure,

You have an interesting approach very akin to martial arts. Instead of wasting your time in long winded and possibly futile discussions you immediately get to the other side of the mirror and bring forward the positive. I have seen you doing this on several occasions. For those fueling on the negative it takes immediately the wind out of their sails. A refreshing different approach to any type of discussion. :slight_smile:

In a nutshell golf is all about rotation. Basically and very simplified, around a vertical axis through the body, a horizontal axis through the shoulders and a third one through the wrists. The two primary rotary actions can be combined to create a 2d plane in 3d space but also a different more sequential action by accentuating first the action around the horizontal axis of rotation prior to the vertical axes of rotation.

Rotation just like linear motion has an inertia associated. For a given system to attain maximum angular speed for a given torque one should minimize the rotational inertia. Keeping the arms and club close to the primary axes of rotation minimizes the rotational inertia - usually referred to as moment of inertia. Hence one could say that maintaining the angles is minimizing rotational resistance.

The back swing is not to gather any power or potential energy but simply to create sufficient space for the clubhead so that our muscles have enough time to accelerate the kinetic chain to develop adequate peripheral impact speed. Holding the angles is to minimize rotational resistance and allowing the maximum angular speed to be obtained for the given torques employed.

lagpressure, I am pressed for time and quickly noted down a few thoughts. I am away till somewhere early January.

Greetings of the Season and Best Wishes for the New Year.

mandrin

Capt. Chaos

Each and everyone has his particular style. I don’t consider mine as being akin to a prosecuting attorney. But when people step on my toes I am not going to excuse myself and asking for more of the same.

On another forum years ago I was considered Satan in person, target for collective lynching, people threatening to track me down, etc. Nobody to take my side, yet as soon as I defended myself, I was immediately accused of being arrogant.

It reminded me of hockey. No problem smothering someone viciously into the board. However riposting in any way is very frequently whistled down for a 2 minute penalty. Forums are fascinating being such an interesting mirror of society. :smiley:

Thanks for the advice, it is all a matter of perception but your remarks are quite pertinent.

May the peace and joy of the holidays be yours

mandrin

Would love to hear more of your take on this…

To me maintaining angles from the top down to P3 is a very passive move… very passive with the upper body, and much more motivated by the lower body.

In the modules 5 and 6 we work on this in great detail.

I agree with Hogan’s view that we start the downswing “with the lower part of the body”.

This would be farthest from the hands and would seem to by your definition to minimize rotational resistance.

I still feel if I tell students that to hold their angles by telling them to minimize rotational resistance, and or… even COAM, I will still be met with glazed eyes.

Terminology is very important, and I do admire Kelley’s attempt at standardizing things, although I think we are still a long ways from having that if you look at the wider golfing population.

I don’t like Kelley’s definition of “Hitting vs Swinging” as I feel it has failed miserably even in TGM circles.

A hit always implies an active strike full of tension and deliberateness. This can easily be related to by using the hands actively or passively. Also the body, or pivot can be a firm definitive strike… compared to the dump and stall stuff that permiates throughout both TGM hitting and swinging. The complete oversight of Homer’s failing to address vertical and horizontal ground force applications shows he didn’t really understand the golf swing as well as many would like to believe.

Assigning the right elbow with a role of demarcation regarding “a hit or swing” leaves the restrained right elbow used by many great strikers, (a pulling rather than a pushing or flinging) leaves the later out on in cold like a lonely orphan on Christmas day.

I won’t have it…

Mandrin - thanks for the props. I recall a similar story about the great player and teacher Jackie Burke, Jr. who was giving a struggling young tour pro a putting lesson. Seems the young pro was prone to arguing with Jackie and went off on a long-winded rant about why Jackie’s putting concept was wrong, when Jackie quickly shut him up with a quick punch to the shoulder! And being an ex-Champion boxer, that must have really hurt! There is a long oral tradition in Zen teaching and practice of teachers whacking their students in various ways to get them to wake up and to break the spell of compulsive intellectualizing. We need to find a cyber equivalent for Internet golf swing forums!

BPGS1
I have read a zillion of your posts (ISG etc) and have considered attending one of your schools—Im a few hours from PS and have a GF in Portland…
But if you have to understand 20% of what has been posted so far, and Mandarin has tried— but I understand zero…
are you telling me every student of yours reads COAM and gets it? I know that cant be because you seem to be
successful…what am I missing here?

I re read this several times to make sure—this is NOT an attack…im just not getting this…

bent

Concepts such as these deeper insights into physics take on four realities…

1. We do them, and have no idea we do them…

2. We don’t do them, but we understand the concept

3. We neither do… nor understand them

4. We know them and we do them

Assuming the action of physics is a good thing… such as acceleration through impact.

1. We know them and we do them (Best)
  2. We do them, and have no idea we do them.
  3. We don’t do them, but we understand the concept
  4. We neither do… nor understand them

The reason I suggest that it is better to both understand and do… is that it might raise awareness of the feeling and sensation in a more tangible way, and also the player who has a deeper understanding of his golf swing might be able to pull himself out or even avoid a lengthy slump all together.

Personally, I like to know exactly what I am doing, either good or bad.

On a side note, I do encourage all the scientific talk, because if I can gain new insight into a concept, AND I am able to wrap my head around it so that it makes sense intellectually, and I can them feel it within the body, AND work a way to promote the concept, then test drive it… see how it holds up under some adversity, either some kind of competition or playing in bad weather, or jump out of the car after driving 800 miles, not hit a range ball and go shoot 66. AND of course see that this is being applied by the majority of great ball strikers… Then I am willing to introduce that concept onto the students scientific learning palate.

but not until those things have been grinded through the ABS processing machine.

Real world practicality in the field is mandatory here, otherwise, it remains in such scientific labs until further scrutiny.

But anyway…

I welcome all the diagrams, pros and cons, arguments over definitions, and so on, as nothing great has ever been accomplished without a lot of thought, speculation, and often pie throwing!

1. We know them and we do them (Best)
2. We do them, and have no idea we do them.
3. We don’t do them, but we understand the concept
4. We neither do… nor understand them

Great idea, I like a little different order though, 2,1,3,4. The terminology I use is:

1. Unconscious Competence (Ultimate Mastery)
  2. Conscious Competence
  3. Conscious Incompetence
  4. Unconscious Incompetence (First Time Seeing a Skill Performed by Another)

Unconscious Competence is the complete and total knowledge of an ingrained skill to the point where no conscious thought is neccesary to perform the skill (aka Moe Norman, Ben Hogan) along with the confidence beyond Conscious Competence where the part of the brain which controls and performs conscious physical actions can be interfered with by a fight or flight reaction (stress, doubt, obstacles, ‘choking’). Also it is impossible to simultaneously consciously control the physical action of the shot while orienting the conscious mind to the target. The conscious mind can only do one thing at a time, and at that very slowly. The unconscious can do many instantaneously. The trick is allowing the unconscious mind control of the mechanical shot.

LD/Lag
Those are great posts. What is the timeline for developing the state of Unconcious Competence.

I’ll let you know when I get there! ’

As far as I know only Jones, Norman, Hogan, Trevino and Tiger (debatable) have gotten there to the extent that a person can in this particular skill. The theories I use I have adapted come from formal psychology and Zen/Buddhist studies. Realistically, it’s all about learning a practical application of the skillset and letting go of the conscious act and making it about application of target orientation and a basic primal act according to my psychological makeup and personality type. Most of the work I did while I was a professional was more geared toward applications of my mindset and learning to stay in the moment, when and how to play on the course rather than reworking and maintaining my swing. Who am I and how does my brain work and affect my body in this environment and how can I make it work better vs swing theory and mechanics at a competetive level. I knew I didn’t have as much natural talent hitting the ball as most I played against, but if I wasn’t the smartest one out there I was pretty close.