Rory's Transition

These photos say a lot imo. His arms and club are not only transitioning down, but also around or behind him, continuing their circular journey and not hurrying to go towards the ball. His legs are great too! Modern swings don’t get much time here, but Rory doesn’t do a whole lot wrong in my book.
Rory1.jpg
Rory2.jpg

Great quality photos–where did you get those from, without watermarks? I was thinking you must have taken them yourself at Rory’s local haunt, but then noticed the blue sky :smiley: (and palm trees)

rory.jpg

This is the best way to do it in my opinion.
Would be interesting to see the next frame.

Always best for the knees to initiate transition.

Steb,
You’ve obviously never been to Ireland- palm trees and blue skies in every pub… after about 4 pints :slight_smile:
I don’t know where I got these photos, and I only have the two of them…
As the great philosopher David Brent once said(or was it Dolly Parton?) ‘if you want the rainbow, you’re gonna have to put up with the rain’…
rainbow_ireland_rain_april08.jpg

had a lesson today and this was exactly what we were working on - initiating the downswing with the hips and creating room to attack the ball from the inside.

The guy I am working with was Michael Bannon’s assistant for 5 years and knows Rory very well and was showing me some great footage of him hitting at Bangor GC’s practice area. If I was able to I could post the clip but sadly my computer skills are lacking in that department.

The Masters is still on my mind. Thought this thread might be worth a re-look.
I think Lag’s analysis on the Masters thread is good. Rory and Angel were having to wait so much, due to the slow play ahead of them, I wonder how much negative effect it had…got him thinking too much?

Rory clearly has a problem because he hooks the ball under pressure. Why does he do this? Because of the way he uses his right arm through impact. There are two ways for him to go mechanically if he wants to correct the problem. Turn flatter and learn to stabilize the right elbow through impact… or give up the deep 4:30 line for something more manageable if he doesn’t want to finish off what he started “load wise”. The non mechanical options would be just learn to live with it… and this would be by not going at it so hard, controlling tempo and rhythm or put another way, just swinging within himself. If you are going to drop the club that deep into the P3 4:30 pocket, you sure better not be driving the right arm like a piston or you are going to bring in the entire left side of the golf course into play even when not desired. Both Rory and Furyk are very similar at P3, but you will never see Furyk hooking the ball off the map because his post impact work is much more sophisticated than Rory’s.

The unfortunate thing is that I doubt his instructor clearly understands this, and he probably doesn’t know this himself or he might end up persuaded into some other path of garbage instruction. I would love the opportunity to work with him.

youtube.com/watch?v=8Sg-enFn6L0

I reckon a lot of Rory’s problem speaks to trying to hit a purpose slinging draw with the modern driver and/or ball. It’s very difficult to do and often ends in what he got, or a total bail out to the right. He did the same on 13 for the same reasons imo. Watch any tour event and you’ll basically see 1 of 2 things happen on a dogleg left- they’ll hit 3 wood, or they’ll hit driver and hit it 20 yards right into the trees. No swing is perfect, but it would be very difficult for me to go to his swing for his problem considering how much he dominated over the first 63 holes. He is obviously a touch loose going through, but it’s very clean too. His swing also reflects his personality it seems. I reckon it was a club choice error for the most part. It was also a club choice error on his 3rd shot on 10. I’m thinking a ropey 3 iron down the hill and get it running towards the green. He had 250-ish and the last 40 or 50 yards are onto a downslope until the run up to the green. All he has to do is carry it 210 and low and he’s got a handy up and down for 5 from the front there? I couldn’t believe how easy that pin location was either. It seemed very generous for a final round with relatively soft greens. It seemed like they set the course up for some back 9 fireworks which I was glad to see in many ways- it’s been getting a bit US Open-ish. Though the pin on 10 was too easy.

3.jpg

Why do this?

He is compressing and expanding …

But like you said…i don’t understand him “pistoning” the right arm like that because he has enough rotational speed not to.

but he has that quirky pivot stall too ! :open_mouth:

Because almost every modern golf instructor on the planet thinks of this as a full release :cry:

It’s not always about speed, it’s also about torque and force… especially if you are hitting.

That’s the modern power game imo. He’s neither hitting nor swinging as it’s traditionally understood. It’s an upward thrust with great body rotation and no toe slinging or flashy face closure, and he barely takes a divot with anything. And I wouldn’t call it a pivot stall either as his pivot is firing hard up through impact but it’s going up in a sort of jump from the squat, leaving the rotation for further up the chain. Then he does that reverse pull back move after the ball is gone. He’s a gifted golfer who learned the game with modern clubs so he figured out how they’re best used, much like the way Hogan etc learned how to use the classic gear.
He was second longest for the week, he was up there in accuracy too with just over 71% of fairways, and was 3rd in GIR with 54 of 72 greens, 75%. All in all, that’s very strong and nothing to mess with in my view. I wouldn’t look at those numbers and think swing issues.
The tee shot on the first said a lot about his swing to me, he piped it down there and had wedge- it was a slack wedge which is probably attributable to the stuff you’re talking about, Lag. But it was just a touch long and left, nothing terrible. In fact I thought it was actually cool to see him being aggressive as most of them bailed right because of that slope off the left.
The thing he needs to look at first, is temperament. He was running down the fairways over the first few holes, and a few times I saw JP his caddie jogging behind him trying to catch up. I was saying to my buddy I was watching with that he’d either win by stretch or it might get messy. I honestly couldn’t see him winning in a fight. I saw it in the Ryder cup too in the foursomes when MacDowell hit it in close to about 3 feet on 16 or 17, a par three, and Rory was pumping his arms and egging on the crowd. I remember thinking that he still has to hole a putt and didn’t fancy him. He missed it too. I’d get to work on all that sort of stuff before messing with his action.
I’m not saying it’s perfect or couldn’t be tidied up, and I agree with what you’re saying about that arm, though there are strings attached. I’d want to see him working on the non swing stuff first, and then if he keeps screwing up, then maybe work on something. The other thing is that he doesn’t look good over the putter in my view, he looks very wooden, whereas with everything else he looks like he’s part of the scenery. I look at someone like him and I’m thinking just ride the wave until whenever. Talking about other dimensions, I reckon guys like that barely have golfswings if you know what I mean, they’re just out there doing their thing like a force of nature.
The whole thing also puts Tiger into perspective, how he hammered it shut in '97, amazing really. Before the last round I was half thinking that Rory would have his mind set on that -18 number of Tiger’s. I’d be kind of surprised if that hadn’t crossed his mind going out. Could’ve been why why he was in such a hurry.

If he wants to have a hard hook in his bag pop up on occasion with his driver, that’s fine… wouldn’t be my preference in any era. More forgiving on today’s courses, but it got him in trouble at Augusta, and the fairways are pretty forgiving out there.

I never saw Faldo hit a driver hard left when he was picking apart Augusta. His right arm was very rigid through impact and it’s very tough to hook the ball if you do that.

scan0017.jpg

Of course in Faldo’s era, The Masters was actually a master’s challenge, unlike what it is today. It took something a lot more special to win there.

I’d be fairly certain that he doesn’t want to hit hooks, and like I said, I don’t disagree with your analysis, but all things considered, I reckon he’s got enough good shots in the bag to go with what he’s got for a long while. As he gets a bit older and starts to slow down in different departments, it might be time to work in some ‘solids’. But for now, I think he should just be working towards ‘doing the bull dance, and feeling the flow’ :smiley:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgYxeoDnbik[/youtube]

Does anyone have that photo of Hogan in the knee high rough, maybe at The Olympic Club?

Like Crocodile Dundee said about his knife— That’s not rough…that’s ROUGH

scan0035 (2).jpg

Cheers for that, man… and I’d say he had a knife, a real knife to get out of it…
My favourite part of that movie has to be when he tells the time by holding his hat up to the sun! Classic…

Something always crosses my mind when I see this… what can be said about this photo?

Don’t hit it left—AND— get that caddie and the bag outta the way!!!