Pressure Strokes- Cally, Tally, and Alley

hqdefault

Rat was busy during downtime from ABS.1 to ABS.2, not always by choice. I don’t know why some of these encounters cross my path but I do so enjoy exploring them when they do. One morning while staring at my computer screen I was also aimlessly tapping an ink pen on a scratch pad, maybe to a beat who knows, and later noticed that the numerous discrete taps looked like it formed a composite, a letter. Then I started thinking I can write the same letter with one continuous stroke, or by tapping it out with numerous discrete taps instead of one stroke. I guess my thought at the time was composite discreet events can form a whole but wouldn’t one continuous motion be easier. That was the thought for the day…and went off to cut the grass, or something

Then several days after that I was exploring around writing alphabet letters in one motion or in parts that look like a whole. One thing led to another falling down that rabbit hole, but rats love holes, and found myself busy examining the difference between cursive letters and calligraphy letters. One of the calligraphy sites said there are 8 different common stokes that combine to form all calligraphy letters. The number of strokes, 8, was hitting something within me but I couldn’t connect what it was. I knew I had come across something before about 8 common strokes but couldn’t place it. But a few days later I did.

It was in Hogan’s book when he said “Now, that isn’t so many key fundamental movements to remember and work on. I believe it comes to eight.” This was now becoming fun.

The 8 calligraphy strokes are quite fascinating using pressures, angles, segments, and curves, especially the ‘oval’ The broadest ink part of the oval is formed when the face goes from open at P3 to its orientation at P4 was what I was seeing.

Calligraphy on scoreboards is becoming a lost art. I looked at my Hogan staff bag and he wrote his name in calligraphy form, or in broken letter form, in parts. He said the golf stroke was one continuous motion but is it possible some of the basic calligraphy strokes and pressures, like loops, upstrokes, and others are hidden from plain sight within one continuous arc. I just find it fascinating is all, and will look more into it when I have time.

Nice to have ABS back as version 2 and nice to be back too, and looking forward to this forum getting back up to speed and known as the spot where the cool kids hang out…

3 Likes

The golf swing can be broken down into 8 moves Rat, afterall module 9 is draws and fades. :smiley:

2 Likes

Very cool.

I always thought it was interesting that flow back and forth in drawing or painting, in a Mr. Miyagi sort of style. And you can’t draw or do any of that sort of stuff without pressuring the implement against the surface - nor can you do any of it without tension in the hand/arm, and beyond, etc., holding the implement.

It’s interesting too, that tension action/reaction based on how heavy or light you want the line or brush stroke to be.

Golf wise, with so much emphasis on speed these days, the fact that there’s an impact to deal with seems to be overlooked. You wouldn’t go punching a wall with a limp wrist and soft arm, your instincts wouldn’t allow it.

‘Heavy Pressure’ that’s a great line.