Need equipment help

While i realize that I may seem to be concerned over a matter of millimeters, my thirst for precise equipment information comes from two sources:

1. When i started golf i bought a rather expensive set of forged “low handicap” irons and figured that I would not have to worry about equipment and focus on my own improvement. After wasting some time and frustrated with misinformation and lack of information, I do not want to make any mistakes before investing money into my next (final) set of irons. Before that happens i will experimenting to find all the right specs.

2. The biggest draw of golf to me is because golf is the only sport i can think of in which trying to achieve perfection on every shot is an acceptable strategy. I simply want to understand as much information as i can to give myself a chance at that.

I am starting to experiment with swing weight. I read somewhere where by taping a dime onto the back of the club the swing weight will increase by roughly 1 point. Is that accurate?

When adding weight to the head, a good general guideline is 2 grams per swingweight point. Lead tape is the best way to do this for experimenting, because it is customizable and is as permanent or temporary as you want it to be.

If you want to change swing weight, get yourself a swingweight scale, a digital gram scale and some lead tape. You can change weight around pretty easily without making any permanent mods to your irons.

Hi all

I wanted to go to a Stiffer shaft (my irons came with project 5.5) so i bought a set of mp33 with 6.5 in them for a decent price of someone. The first thing I noticed was how light they felt. A friend of mine even mentioned at he felt that they were lighter than my mp62s (total weight). How much does the mp33 club head weigh? How does it compare to other blades?

I got them from a pretty trust worthy source so the irons being counterfeit would be the last thing in my mind but i just thought that most of the older mizuno irons were heavier than today’s.

I also have question regarding cog/sweet spot. How does the mp33 compare to the mp62 in those terms?

Thanks

I have been playing a set of 33s for a while now. I have s300s in them and added lead tape accordingly to get them to swing weight d4 up through the shorter irons and wedges. I had the same bad feeling about the overall weight recently as well. Not sure if this helps but I compared them recently to the mp-14 model from maybe 20 years ago and they were nearly identical total weight. I know personally, I’m going to counterweight my whole set during the winter sometime to get the overall weight up to where I can feel the club. I played a few rounds recently with less feel in my hands due to the temperature and I felt like I literally had no idea where the club was. Hope that helps a little.

head weights mp33

4i 240g, 5i 247, 6i 254, 7i 260, 8i 269, 9i 276, PW 287

rick

Anyone who has used Mizuno TP-9? are they also easy to bend?
I have got a set of these for 60$ unfortunately it is R400 shafts and not S400 but they are standard.
Can I bend these 4 degrees without breaking them?

I haven’t used them, but you can definitely bend them well over 4 degrees safely. I just bent my Mizunos (MP68’s) down to 5 flat (they were at 3 flat for about 7 months). Mizunos are soft and high quality forgings that bend easily. I just wish they had longer hosels.

FWIW,

I have a friend who plays Mizuno irons and brought them over to me to tweak them flatter. I was shocked at how steep they were. I forget exactly what the numbers were but the 4-iron had a lie of an old standard 9-iron. Maybe it was just this guys set. I don’t know for sure if it’s true for all Mizuno’s. So if you bend them 4 to 5 degrees flat from Mizuno’s specs they might end up being your standard lie and not Lag’s 5 degrees flat from standard lie & loft machines. I would double check to see what the lie angles are before you start because you might need 10 degrees or more to get them to ABS specs.