My first year of ABS and 1990's and 80's blades

LOL, could you sound just a little more facetious?

Am I talking about being on the european tour? In majors? Geez that is one sarcastic post dude…

I am talking about a dramatic increase in my scoring and ball striking… about having back to back eagles…about runs of 4 birdies in 6 holes with two pars just birdies left in the jaws…about nailed 1980’s 2 irons off the deck and people I am playing with looking at me as I look at them with a WOW! expression at the strike…about a massive difference in my ability to play this game and it is due to playing and practising with old gear and ABS modules…

I made it real clear that I would consider playing in local pro stuff and seeing where I got…when I get to module 11…I thought I made that quite clear? I will get to where I am meant to be, be it pro ams or some kind of tour. I am going to be doing some coachingof certain things golf related and releasing a book hence my losing of amateur status.

My dentistry fortunately allows me to do alternate things like this. For that I am grateful and humbled to have the choice.

I have no idea what level I will get to, it’s exciting thinking about rather than being sarky on an internet forum, scraping around for some tips or someone/something to ridicule…seriously :unamused:

I thought twice about posting this here in public and now I see why…

The wife is very jealous of the way I play tee to green, but not of my short game at present (apart from putting)

Styles, seriously you seem like a cool guy…but

Every so often, save a post before hitting submit.

Just a rat’s opinion…hard to tell if Style’s question was one of sarcasm or a general query. That’s what I find on these forums…wide open to interpretation. Glad to hear you’re playing well.

Wouldn’t take too much offense @ it…as Bom says…it’s all good!!

Now for "scraping around for tips"…been going on since the game began…hell, us Rats are relative experts in the field. :laughing: RR

Apologies for coming across the wrong way, I am genuinely interested.

I have to say though, I am at a level I could turn pro. It wouldn’t be very long before I lost my house and marriage though!

In an ideal world, I would like to be financially independent enough (and good enough) to play ‘professional’ amateur golf. That means playing the various top amateur competitions round the world and all of the major ones in the UK and Ireland. To me, playing in those and competing against the kids who will be golf’s next generation of superstars would mean a hell of a lot more than teeing it up against a bunch of local pros who can barely break par themselves.

Could you imagine what it would be like to play Walker Cup Golf? That to me is the pinnacle.

I re-read this a few times and realise it may sound a little harsh, its not mean’t to be. Its a genuine post where I am simply saying that I would admire you more if you went that route and then after turning 50 went for the senior tour rather than teeing it up in the local grand prix events.

Styles, even though I re-read my post a number of times before posting, I was a bit heated when I posted. If I seemed like a jumped up “I’m so good” kind of pratt I apologise too. I was so pumped at hitting the shots I hit I was very much on ballstriking cloud 9, so hopefully didn;t sound like a dick.

I think we are on exactly the same page. I would quit dentistry to teach and play golf if not for valuing my financial lifestyle and marriage too :laughing:

I think top amateur golf has the problem of playing with jumped up primadonas who think they can make it, compared to say europro tour stuff which instead would be full of primadonnas who think they can make it :wink: :wink:

I think I just want to play decent scratch events and feel competition (not that I am the best at my club, but there is no desire to win best nett) but I gut feel myself turning pro and seeing what happens…

In the most realistic situation in the world, see you at senior tour school Styles, we’ll see who kicks ass out of the pros first :laughing:

I almost think it is harder to play top level amateur golf due to the cost and no reward? Good question to ponder :question:

I’m glad we are ‘loved up’ again. :laughing:

I completely agree with what you have said and maybe I could make a helpful suggestion. My favourite tournament to play now is the mid-amateur at The Grange every August.

It is only for over 35s, so you don’t have these kids who are basically professional in everything but name, what you do have is people who are reasonably good at the game, who work for a living and have golf as their passion.

I would love it if you and aguille were low enough to enter and play in it. It would be great to have you over to Ireland for a long weekend and tee it up against your ‘real’ peers, not kids who have been coached to hell since 9 years old!

Leinster Mid Amateur

If nothing else you could take the Mrs for a long weekend to Dublin!

THE GRANGE!!
You guys are making me homesick… do it WD, it’s a classic little parkland course- until the damn motorway chopped off some of it’s glory… progress!!

I played blades and would switch off between them and CB’s when I was a junior and college golfer. Typically I stuck with metal woods back then because you could put graphite into the heads easier than persimmon and the persimmon would have problems like cracking or the wrapping getting undone. That being said, I used steel shafts quite often in my drivers, but usually stuck with the metal head. I eventually got a MacGregor steel head driver with graphite that I used to smoke down the fairway constantly and stuck with it for years.

Blades I used? Hogan Redlines, MacGregor Muirfield, Hogan BH Grind, Founders Club 200 series, and Ram FX Tour Grind to name a few. I bought some Mizuno MP-62’s about a year ago. They are a CB that are probably the most blade like CB’s out there. Good club, but I kept remembering how back when I was a junior and college golfer I swung the club my best when blades where in my bag. Eventually reading Lag’s posts and Michael Lavery’s ‘Whole Brain Power’ book made me understand why. That’s usually important for me in golf…not just doing what I’m told to do and taking things at face value, but the ‘why?’

Lavery’s book more or less echoes Lag’s sentiments. The book goes into motor skills and how in today’s society we neglect working our motor skills. For instance, schools do not offer penmanship classes anymore and penmanship is a good way to develop your motor skill. In the end, Lavery’s point about something like penmanship is that it develops one’s motor skills and if we neglect our motor skills, they WILL erode over time.

I like to apply that to the golf swing. I believe that there are 4 critical elements of the swing:

1. Controlling the clubface
  2. Controlling the clubhead path
  3. Controlling the low point
  4. The dynamics of your pivot

Obviously, I believe ABS addresses these critical elements. But I also believe that good, vintage blade irons address these 4 critical elements as well. Hitting the ball square takes good control of the face and the path and the smaller heads test the golfer’s ability to control the face and the path on every shot. The thinner soles test the low point. Particularly the clubs with the sharper leading edges. Hit the ball first and then take a divot and you’ll really compress the ball with these vintage irons. If you don’t, you’ll hit a very poor shot. But with the CB’s and their thicker soles, you can get away with not being precise with the low point and that skill of controlling the low point will erode over time.

And blades really force the golfer to pivot as well. With CB’s and their super strong lofts and light shafts, etc. one can hit a long and high iron shot with ease. But with blades you really need to be on point with the path, face and low point and do it with a power pivot action.

I have 2 clubs with very stiff shafts. A Hogan Apex PC 2-iron and a Hogan IPT 5-iron that I had a X100 installed and then tipped it 3”. The thing I love about those clubs is I can hit a shot on the sweetspot and straight at the target. But more often than not they go pretty low and they are a solid shot. But if I really want to flush one and see it rise almost like a rocket, I need to be pivoting and pivoting hard well after impact. Fun to watch when I do it, but doesn’t happen all of the time.

In fact, the first club I swing on the practice range is the Apex PC 2-iron. None of this ‘hit a SW and work your way up.’ I want to warm up quickly and test my swing right away.

I do have a persimmon driver. It’s a very difficult club to hit on the screws, have it go straight and get a good trajectory on it. I can get around the course with it pretty well, but usually on more low-ish type shots.

I will say this about the persimmon, right now I occasionally feel myself ‘hold the flex of the shaft’ in my swing. I’ll feel it about once a round with a particular iron shot. If I’m on the range I’ll feel it a few times. But the club I have done it the most with is my persimmon driver. My modern titanium driver? I’ve only felt myself do that ONCE (which was yesterday) and I hit it about 30 yards further that I usually do and it was dead straight at the target. Just tough to ‘hold the flex’ and ‘swing left’ with the modern driver due to the length and weight of the club.

The problem is that if you’re playing competitive golf, be it a tournament, money match or just trying to lower your handicap, the modern driver offers too much of an advantage off the tee to go with persimmon. But, the blade irons are a different story IMO. And since I want to sharpen my precision when it comes to controlling the low point, face and path as well as improve my pivot, I think ‘gaming’ CB’s over blades is a bad move.

3JACK

100% on for next year dude…

I am a baby of '76 so am to young

:open_mouth:

I think turning pro is a great thing to work toward…

There have been several Doctors in the past that have done so with great success… Dr Cary Middlecoff, Dr Gil Morgan come to mind.

In a lot of ways, you just won’t know until you do… and you also need to give yourself some time to find out. Anyone serious about it should do all they can to set things right in the beginning. Having a backup career already in place I see as VERY positive. Having your own financial backing set up …another HUGE plus. There is a great resource right here for your support, certainly with Bradley and myself.

The touring lifestyle is not for everyone… but it might be for you. Figuring out how much you can play, or how many weeks in a row is something you need to find out, and the best way is to do it. YOU WILL FIND OUT! This will help you in the second year booking your touring schedule and also your down time.

Make sure YOU determine your success… not others. It can really be a lot of fun…

One of the biggest challenges mentally is learning how to play poorly for extended periods, because very few players are going to be at the top of their game all the time. The tour will raise the bar of your own expectations whether you like it or not… it pushes you, and welcome that.

One of the best words of advice I got starting out from a seasoned mini tour player was…

“When you turn pro, it will be the greatest vehicle for you to improve your golfing skills, but be prepared to be playing on worse courses, and less prestigious events than the top amateur circuits.”

Corey Pavin once told me… “John, practice the worst part of your game when you are done with a round”
As obvious as that may seem, it’s easy to go hit 200 balls after a round because you missed 5 greens, and not go to the chipping and putting green where you only converted once.

I would recommend trying to qualify for a real tour as soon as possible. 4 round events, where you can play every week. Choose that option over 2 and 3 rounders even if the money is better in the shorter events. Try to avoid mini tours where the players put up the purses. There are gambling games that might serve you better. Try every Q school you can…
When I was playing there were nice tours in South Africa, South America, Asia, Canada, smaller in prize money but 4 round professionally run events. Try to play where there is some kind of benefit if you play well beyond just the money… meaning exemptions to other tours or special invitations… you never know when you are going to play well. My order of merit position in Canada gave me a bypass through the Australian Tour’s Q school… stuff like that. Mini tours were dead ends, and I would guess they still are.

I remember when Kenny Knox got into a PGA Tour event from a 4 spot Monday Q, then won the tourament… that doesn’t happen often, but his 64 on Monday gave him some nice confidence going into the event. You never know what can happen.

Hitting the ball good is a small part of the picture… I can teach you how to do that… learning about how to play under pressure, travel, keep your sanity, and deal with the adversities life will throw at you on the road are really bigger challenges.

You would know what you are made of until you try. Go for it.

Ok Junior, see you next August!
Pretty sure Aguille will be low enough to enter next year (he’ll probably be good to go this year as well if you ask me!) - no need to wrry about age qualifications for him!!! :laughing:

Hello welshdentist,

i looked up your introduction post and you stated that your hcp back then was around 5 - so after a year of working with ABS you got it down to a plus hcp? I think thats really fantastic. How much time did you put into the module work? Did you do the recommended repetitions or did you do more?

Hey WD, just played the Leinster Mid-Amateur at the weekend. You have to try and make it over for next year. Its a great tourney, very well run and you can get a hotel for 40 euro’s per night! And thats a nice hotel by the way!

The results can be found here

I finished in a tie for 9th which although meant I was 14 shots off the winner, it was still a fairly respectable result for me.

My best round was in the morning of the first day (36 holes day one) when I shot two over to be just 4 off the lead. I have done a full report on my blog on iseek but would just say that it was my short game that held me back. If it and my long range putting were better I could have finished a lot further up the leader board.

Make a date in your diary for early next August!

My goal is to get to +2 long term. It isn’t done just with a few ABS reps :smiley:

I have a ton of improvement to go in my short game, and we all know how important that is. I am focusing more on my putting at present and have 2 months of competitive golf ahead of me, so the reps have taken a back seat for a little while. I am still doing them, just focusing on form rather than repitition.

Styles, I would love to come over and do that next year.

And well played!!!

Thanks WD, like you I am working on my short game and distance putting, that was the difference between me winning and finishing 14 shots back.

I have been introduced to the most amazing putting pace drill EVER

Using toursticks (does everyone have these now?)

Place on on the putting green and putt to the stick from 3 feet, without the ball going over the stick. Simply rolling up to it and touching the stick.

Then whenever you touch the stick with a putt, move back another foot. See how far from the stick you can get. IT IS NOT AS EASY AS IT SOUNDS…

Then try the same drill down hill :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I basically used to have the short game yips for a few years. In part to TGM right arm thrusting , whilst off plane and pivot stalling It’s a long road back but I’m improving touch and technique every week.