Knudson on Lateral Movement

I think the quest for excellence, while a more difficult journey, is more interesting and ultimately more rewarding.
I just don’t see why anyone would not be interested in exploring their own fullest potential and personal possibilities.

We can observe what the greats do. Bradley and I can tell you what you need to internally feel to get there… and you can see the improvement as we move along.

I have no doubt the work we do here biomechanically can greatly speed up the process. I feel we can get 5 years of work done in a year for most with hard work and dedication.

Sure, it is not always easy, but what in life that is truly fulfilling ever comes easy?

i second bspecks/lags thoughts…it’s a long process and can get frustrating at times. you really have to think long term.

my wife runs 2-3 marathons a year and has been for almost 10 years. she didn’t run growing up and never really did until after we had kids. she
joined a program and just started putting in the miles. her first marathon was slow and painful. but she kept at it, tweaking her training, running with faster people and so on and so on. now she qualifies for boston every time she laces them up and she qualified for new york last year which we’ll go in november. (new york is very difficult to qualify for, most people think it is a lottery, which there is a lottery but you can also qualify by time). she’s still getting faster.

some of our friends think she is just a naturally talented runner…nothing could be further from the truth… she just gets up real early and puts in the miles nearly every day and works really hard at it. harder than most people are willing to work…

abs/proper golf is no different. my view of this has been i’ve got to put in the miles. in running, a speed work out does nothing to help your running until after about 2 or 3 weeks. you taper (or cut back running/workouts) before your goal race not only to rest your legs but also because any workout you do within that time period will have no benefit on race day. the module stuff i’m working on today may not show up on the course for another three months. just the other day i was playing and i could feel my mod 2 really kicking in and allowing me to rotate through the ball better. i finished mod 2 back in march or april.

i don’t hang around alot of avid golfers but the ones i do know would probably not take on the commitment that this entails…

Kirk–have your wife check this out. I used this as motivation to run this summer in 100+ degree heat for more than a month. Not for distance, but it’s amazing what the human body can endure and overcome. Some of these elite runners train in this heat year-round living in this harsh environment. One of their regimens is to sit in a car in the desert with the heat blasting and windows rolled up to get the body and mind used to the extreme temperatures they will be experiencing out on the course.

badwater.com/

Yes I’m very familiar with badwater. That’s a different breed. I had some friends run the Leadville 100 a couple of
Years ago, equally crazy.

We live in Houston tx and have most of our lives, we know all about the heat…Back when I did a few marathons I would do a couple of 3 hour runs every August in the middle of a Sunday. 100 degrees, high humidity and no breeze. I figured if I can get through those my January marathon Would be piece of cake…

I don’t miss running :sunglasses:

I’ve always admired Knudson’s lower body sequencing perhaps even more than Hogan’s because he seems to have more knee bend which for me allows me to initiate the transition more fluidly. I know that some may consider the preceding statement to be sacrilegious but if one were to argue that Hogan’s more baggy slacks obscured his legs I would not put up much of a fight. For me, I’m realizing that the the golf swing is a combination of arcs and curved planes and when I’m at my best I am rotating my hips around a posted right leg while rotating my forearms clockwise in the backswing. It helps tremendously to facilitate the rotation of my hips with an active participation of the left leg which provides a bit of power to swing my hips clockwise. This almost always results in the lifting of the left heel as leaving the left heel on the ground would restrict my backswing. At almost the same time I FEEL like my hips slide towards the target but I think that this is the result of a full hip rotation. I believe that it is possible to feel like the hips are moving laterally towards the target while maintaining most of your weight on the right instep because there is a considerable amount of rotational momentum opposing the lateral move towards the target thereby providing balance in the backswing. Transition for me feels like nothing more than an increased bending of the right knee which seems to push my weight even more towards the target. I’m still trying to figure out what happens after this point. I wonder how this description compares to your experience…