Johnny Miller on Iron Play .... Johnny Knows!

THAT makes a lot of sense :laughing: , one can only imagine what he would have to say if he came across a guy who uses vaseline …

I think this is something Miller said, not Hogan… I don’t think Hogan liked anyone’s swing, other than Demaret, Mehlhorn, Knudson and Sam Byrd.

Parry’s action looks unusual, but you have to understand it. He pulls it really far inside, and it appears he comes OTT, but in reality he is still moving the club along the 4:30 line. He might be a bit steeper than some, but not all that different than Hale Irwin.

I’ve played with Craig a few times, I think we turned pro the same year, and followed a similar path playing early on in Canada and Australia. He always struck the ball with good compression, and controlled the ball very well.

Miller said that; but he also said that he hit the ball really good with a swing that looked like a 15 handicapper…

They said the same thing about Peter Senior’s action on the telecasts when I played the Australian Tour. The announcers didn’t like the big lift - lurching finish move.

What I saw was a guy with phenomenal post impact pivot thrust that needed “that look” to make it work… and some of the best compression I had ever seen and heard delivered into a golf ball.

Don’t forget Mickey wright…Hogan loved her swing, and for good reason.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh5DZw2yi-Q&feature=related

1 Like

Beware of the player using excessive Chap Stick?

Goes like this…lots of chap stick after tee shot…fingers to lips assessing approach shot…hand to clubface getting club out of the bag. :open_mouth: RR

A few clips from the Mickey Wright vs Brigitte Varagot Shell match in 1964 played at Estoril in Portugal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB11_Vwkqm8&NR=1

Beautiful swing and cute too (once you get those old lady librarian glasses off of her)!

Captain Chaos

I remember reading about this set someweher. I’ll try to look it up and post the link if I can find it.
Johnny Miller played a set of MacGregor 925’s stainless steel irons. Old model with the long hosels, which he cut down, to keep with the swingweight he was after as he installed longer shafts.

Johnny should’ve looked a little closer, Ben Hogan’s name is all over this swing. I wonder if his comment was connected to Parry using Hogan clubs- I’m not 100% certain, but I think I remember Parry carrying a Hogan bag for a while after Maxfli… anyone remember?
CP's Hogans.jpg

absolutely…Pazz was a long time Hogan iron and bag player…Strata ball…companies who were all bought by Callaway around those years of late 90’s- mid 00’s

Cool, makes sense. The other thing that this clarifies is that Australians definitely have the coolest nicknames :sunglasses:

I remembered this thread and pondered its relevance. JM was shootin in the 60s on 6500yard or so tough tracks. My old school blade 4 iron is 160-165 ( spalding bob no idea of loft) so as a 55yr old I m realistically 1 and a bit clubs shorter than JM in his prime. Just checked Rorys distances and even with my customer fitted srixons Im in a different post/zipcode even with short irons.
I prefer my blades and have this mental battle with myself about using them around 6200yrd courses. Pulling a blade 4 when a new 6i covers the same distance is tough, particularly if theres a ditch in front of the green or its a built up green. That said when practicing this morning I hit the 6i twice for comparison and hated the sound and feel of the strike, the shaft was okay to be honest, but twice was enough …the true enjoyment came from the blade. It may well be that I use them and have some kind of compromise for longer shots psrhaps a 7 wood. Anyone else had the same feelings?
It would be much easier of I was a longer hitter - but as the above comparison shows low scores can be made from what is now a short hitter.

1 Like

When I am playing well, I don’t feel like I will ever miss a fairway. No reason to. I’ll hit 1 iron off the tee if I have any doubt about the driver or 2 wood. That being said… I feel like I will never miss the green with a 5 iron on down. I know I have to make good swings to hit a green with a 4/3/2/1 or fairway wood… for approach… but if I nail all of those 3 or 4 shots… that I would be challenged by… then I should be able to hit all 18 greens. I have done that more times than I could ever count. When I won in Canada, I only missed 4 greens in four rounds. 68 out o 72 greens. Easy because I was really striking it well. That being said, I was not in the category of Hogan, Moe or Knudson etc… so I can only imagine how they felt about their striking skills when they were really on.

This was on Two’s channel, Johnny knows.

1 Like

Lag,

That’s pretty insane ballstriking! I love it. Goals…

Would you say you played to fat side of the green alot? Or just center green?

I guess im curious if old school golfers even fired at pins?

1 Like

I’ve always used blades and my main practice club as a beginner was a three iron. And I’ve always tried to move the ball every shot.

My thinking was if you want to be able to move it on command, then you’ve actually got to put the time in doing it.

Man that’s put me through the wringer but so so worth it!

I think of all those thousands of shots I could have hit with a big old cavity back and be thousands of shots poorer a player, thousands of shots further back.

I could practice as much as I play, that’s one more benefit of doing it my way. I get a lot of enjoyment out of just practising and hitting different shapes.

In the foreword to Power Golf was it, Bobby Jones is referred to saying of Ben Hogan, something like ‘he takes more of his share of beatings’. Always assumed it was about him birdie-hunting, and therefore you’ve got to have some psychological hidings to get the highs.

I don’t think it’s a disadvantage to play blades. Mine are from late 1990s based off an older mizuno model. From a learning perspective it has put a tonne of feel in my hands and my head.

Most manufacturers top of the line irons are still 1990s lofts, so blades are still usable. It’s just, a game that is all about %’s and margin for error competing for millions is going to see top players use the clubs that give them the most margin. I think like other sports the equipment should have been locked down years ago.

I find it odd in 2022 that the worlds best hit off the planet terrible drives in final rounds of majors and still win or come second. I find it maddening they can hit 50+ metres off line, and not only find a ball that on most courses is lost, but even get it on the green.

Was there ever a point where you realised it would never just go south on you, or is that just an incremental process that you one day arrive at?

Similarly, do you ever arrive suddenly at being comfortable having lots of birdies? I sometimes get this ‘impostor’ feeling of I’m 2 or 3 under for nine.

1 Like

*Funnily enough don’t feel this so much in competitive rounds.

It’s a different game they are playing… different courses certainly… and obviously very little precision required off the tee. It’s not something I find remotely interesting having played the previous version of pro golf that required very precision driving off the tee … not just in the fairway, but often down the correct side of the fairway and often to a specific relative distance. More interesting and challenging as I see it. There used to be specific events for long drive competitions that were entertaining and there was a culture around that also… never had much of a place in the broader professional game though.

When I played Mare Island Golf Club and would bring players who would focus on hitting it 350 yards… they would shoot 78 or 85… because the protocols for success are different.

There are panels of experts or opinions upon how the pro game should move forward, grown the game, various lobbyists I would assume and so on. It’s usually a fairly small group making decisions for the vast majority. Some like it… some don’t.

It’s just all venue dependent as I see it.

There is no question it’s a different game. The question is why.