Jackie Burke article

Another great read. I’ve become a bit of a Jackie Burke groupy since watching that Classic Conversation bit that was posted- thanks again Cheesedonkey. I just love his take on say many things. This article has annoying ads in the middle of each page but it’s well worth the read…

findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m … ntent;col1

I’m going to add another link to some of his Wisdom!

online.wsj.com/article/SB124241963867824951.html

He sure seems like a real character and a great Ambassador for Golf. Dave Woods (of Wood Bros) told me he was one of the guys who encouraged Dave to become a great club maker.

THANK YOU!! again another great find, Bom

I think Lag will like this line—

and tells tour pros, “If they can’t beat you, they’ve got nothing to teach you.”

Freddie,
Is Dave Wood still making clubs?

Bom,
No he is not. He’s also a very talented artist. One of his works is going to be in the Jan issue of Golfworld. He did work for MacGregor a few years back and designed some of the irons. I think that was the last thing he did in the Golf biz…

Sorry, Jan 1 Golfweek, not Golfworld.

Thanks Freddie…
That’s a shame to hear. Though it doesn’t surprise me to hear he’s a talented artist looking at his drivers. I’ll look out for that issue. Do you know which clubs he was designing for Mac? Also, something I’m always wondering, did Wood Bros make any fairway woods? I’ve never come across any…
Cheers

Yes…I used to have a wood bros 3 wood…not a state or country shaped baseplate however…just a regular

Cool… thanks twomasters…
I wonder how the non symmetrical shape of those baseplates affected the balance of the clubs or if that was taken into account a balanced out elsewhere…
it would be kind if cool if that was one of the things that made those clubs special…

Bom and Twomasters,
Here is a pic of my WB 3 wood. I’ve had this for about 2 years. I showed the pic to Dave and he told me it was his original 3 wood and he estimated he made less than 100 of this model. Completely hand made. Its super solid. This one was made around 1982 - 1983ish. The ones that were made after this had a different sole plate, more of a sweep back look.
WB no. 3 orig.jpg
WB 3 wood_orig..jpg

Bom,
I forgot to answer you other question. He told me he designed the Mac 675 V Foil. Not sure if it was his own design or if he partnered with others on it, but I took it as it was his. Not sure if your familiar with it, but is an awesome iron.

BEAUTY!! thanks for posting that one Freddie…
Does it say ‘fairway instrument’ on it? I love it…

Thanks for that follow up Freddie, I’m not familiar with them but I’ll check them out.
Re: the 3w- it looks like it’s got an early version of that protective deeper leading edge baseplate, is that right? It’s one of the genius things about those drivers I’d say…

Yep, it says “Fairway Instrument” and 15* above that. The “Wood Bros” cursive below the plate is still visable but faded. Its a cool club. Its got a big carbon spot on the top, so its a solid block! I had one of their newer 3 woods before too, but like a Stooge I sold it. It was mint. I wish I had a pic of that. I probably do someplace.

The sold plate is a thick piece of brass that does act as the leading edge. Not sure if was supposed to be a protective aid, or not. The newer 3 woods didn’t has as thick a plate.

Cool…
I found some photos of those irons. They’ve got very interesting weight distribution on the back- pretty close to what I like from the angles I could see. I may have to go have a look at a set somewhere… Cheers…

Sing it, Brother!!!