Iron Lie Angles/Button Backs

I’m in need of a recommendation for someone to do some clubwork in the Atlanta area.

All of the people I’ve met here are very nervous about bending irons to the angles that ABS recommends. They don’t want to do it because they’re afraid they will break the clubs. I would like to find someone who is comfortable and competent in bending clubs this far.

Thanks in advance!

I don’t have a specific recommendation, but you will have to look far and wide to find someone that will be comfortable bending irons more than 2 degrees. Many of us here have experienced that. You first get the question of why you would want to bend something that flat because no one goes that flat, then you get the we are afraid the club will break and we will be liable for it answer. Also beware if they do bend it for you that they actually bend it to the actual lie angle you want. They might bend it 2 degrees and tell you that it’s the 3-6 degrees you really wanted. Their thinking is you won’t notice.

Hopefully, someone can suggest someone in your area that is competent and not afraid to do what the customer wants.

What some of have done is to get a loft/lie machine of our own. Makes it easy to bend to your hearts content. At $5-$10 bucks a club to bend, it doesn’t take too long to justify. Plus you can tweak you lofts in addition to the lie angles. Both do get out of alignment with heavy use of the clubs, especially off of hard plastic mats.

Just something to think about before you spend money on getting them bent once.

BTW, I have several sets of forged irons that I have bent 6 degrees flat off standard with no problems whatsoever.

I have found that you just have to push these guys. And tell them at its ok if it breaks, I only spent fifty bucks for them anyway. If you keep pushing, they will do it. And they won’t break. I’ve yet to have anything break. Of course, the more knowledgeable ones know why you want them flat, so it’s nice to find someone like that.