Hitting and Mac O'Grady

Damn good thread revisit, and Lag’s post, and Bom’s pic. Mac is on top of it. This entire video could be called a Big Mac and the video’s start point might be the cheese layer.

1 Like

Mac O’Grady doing a drill called ‘hit hard stop fast’.By Bob Grissett Golf | Facebook

Wonder if Mall Rat would be my assistant on this one, great drill!!.. :rofl:

1 Like

That’s crackers Ratters.

This makes my back hurt just looking at it! Will Zalatoris - I hate to say it but I was not surprised in the slightest when he had to withdraw during the play-offs a month or so ago with back spasms. This posture is a recipe for a back injury I believe.

He’s actually been one of the best tee to green on tour this last year, ironically.

3 Likes

Brings a new meaning to ‘driving the legs’ :laughing:

And he’s very young for back issues, scary stuff. Jason Day is another with that ‘athletic’ posture who seems to be out more than not. Justin Rose too seems to struggle with back issues.

Bad backs are part of golf. It’s hard to say what the cause is in any specific case. Zalatoris’s back looks awful in that photo, I agree. The back looks too straight, and the center of his pelvis is well behind his heels. Maybe it was shot when he was settling in, and not about to swing; or maybe he does something in the backswing to correct things. Zalatoris’s back issue was in his cervical spine, not lumbar, if I’m not mistaken, so it would seem maybe it isn’t primarily a posture issue. That said, the first time I saw him, I wondered how long he would be able to swing as he does before he developed back issues. What I saw was violent, rapid acceleration with lots of spine rotation, which seemed to be a recipe for disaster for someone with a frame that slight. A similar guy who looks like he’s on the road to shredding all his discs is Joaquin Niemann. All the modern players seem to swing full out all the time. The younger they are, the less likely they are to appear to have anything other than an overdrive gear.

Address does not look comfortable to me at the ball, I like that more rounded over the ball look-orientation Mac preaches and the arms more downward. Mac might also say Zalatoris’ neck tilt doesn’t match his forward torso bend, and maybe this could be a cause for Will’s neck issues, but not sure.

Untitledwz1
Untitledwz

3 Likes

The rear elbow in transition always fascinates me in pro swings. Some drive it forward, some have it stuck on the side, some behind them

All about matchups

Its interesting that a few years ago this was a posture that was being taught by pga couches and if i recall correctly verified by tpi as well.

1 Like

I’ve always liked the shoulders being more over the knees from a DTL view. Balances things better for rotation based swings.

1 Like