Hacker's Unite!

Very Good sb…that’s a good summation

sb944,

Regarding the FLW, the sooner you realize that FLW is a by product of other things… the sooner the real lightbulbs will go off.
In the bigger swings… FLW is best being created by a post impact pivot thrust… not strapping a board to your arm.

As far as chipping, FLW happens by setting up with your weight left, moving your hands forward so you can clip the ball with a descending blow and get less grass between your ball and the club. You can still do that and open the face a bit to utilize the bounce also…

Thanks Bradley and Lag. I’ve only just heard of this flat left (or right) wrist idea, but I’ll make sure to put it to the back of my mind. If I’m doing everything right leading up to and after contact, that will happen for free.

I’ve finished module 1!!! I put in two 150% days to finish it, as I wanted to get onto module 2 after seeing the vids. Feel good about how I finished it though, was definitely better at the end of the drill, than a week earlier, so it’s worthwhile finishing it properly.

I’ve tried a little module 2, it’s pretty confusing to watch and try to half do it in front of a mirror, but once in front of the bag with a club in hand, it’s certainly a little easier to understand. Another brilliant insight into the advanced ball strikers golf swing. I doubt I’m doing it right just yet though. TWo initial things I noticed is that I’m already hitting the bag harder again after watching module 2 vids, and all the forces are amped up now? This is probably why Lag left this until we’d drilled a lot of module 1, because otherwise you’d probably break your weak wrist and arms trying to do this drill from day one. Also, I’ll need to start wearing shoes when doing drills, and find a patch of grass I don’t mind killing to practice on, because the drill is hard on the feet and grass underneath them.

Chipped again this morning, and saw more improvements. I think I’m starting to lose the fancy feelings, and it’s showing in the results. Just solid body, smooth meaningful swing. I’m especially happy with the long chips, as I’m getting them a lot closer than I was last week. But in general, the striking is very solid, and it’s much more about distance, accuracy and green reading now. Played my 18 hole, 3 ball challenge, and scored 21 points (that’s 21/54 balls within 3 feet), with no chip ins, so pretty happy with that. I don’t know what a really good score for this would be, but I’d guess somewhere around 40 for a pro, possibly more.

BTW, if anyone has any good putting video/article links I’d like to see them, as I’ll probably start studying the putting stroke next.

Al Barkow’s putting book will be online any day… I helped him a bit with the editing of it, and I really think it is excellent. It will be available right here on this site I’m sure by Monday if not sooner…

Quiet few days due to the craziness of Christmas, daughters birthday and my mum staying with us. But I did spend some time watching module 2 videos again, and did the drill 3 times. The inside of my legs are burning, and my back foot is sore so probably a good sign. The crazy thing is the extra force. I’ve broken through the new canvas bag in one spot. My hands which usually end up with a little grip on them are covered in black after this drill. Plus my left foot (back foot) was cut open wearing thick socks, so I really do need the shoes on doing this drill. It seems crazy to me, but I’m fairly certain doing all these drills are going to make me a lot stronger and fitter too. I’m not sure if I’m paying Lag for golf lessons or as a personal trainer right now. Nice side benefit to doing these modules.

The chipping goes from strength to strength, still tweaking. I found the feeling for trying to get the hosel into the ground, and I feel that right through the backswing and downswing. It’s really improved the height and consistancy of the chips, so now I’m seeing some really nice strikes in the back yard. I didn’t get to the course to do any real chips with this feeling yet, but in the back yard have started putting down a pot to aim at, and got 9 from 30 in the pot from around 10m away, with the pressure of my mum watching too, which was great. I have always had a fear of the chip shot, but I have to say, it’s really quite an easy thing to get pretty good at, once you have the right advice and work on it just a bit. I’m sure mastering it will still take some time, but I already know I would get a lot of up and downs, even with what I have right now.

And I’ll probably check out that putting book. Where will I find links to it?

I hit my first ball in quite a few weeks yesterday - I went to play an easy 9-hole course that was 2 par 4s, 1 par 5 and the rest par 3s.

As I took my practice swings I could see something very different - the club was coming through at least one club head in width inside the address position. As a player who shanks on occasion, this was the opposite of my normal tendancy. I had absolutely no idea where to address the ball on my first shot because I couldn’t trust my eyes! Clearly though, module 4 has had this effect on me.

Anyway, first hole took 9 on the par 5 thanks to a lost ball right on my 2nd shot, although contact felt fine.
Then I managed to play the remaining 8 holes in 3 over par which for me is good even on an easy course. I trusted my new ball position and on some of the irons felt a crisp and compact feeling through the ball. Still my shots were generally a few yards shorter than what I remember, and nearly every ball was a slight fade, with one or two being nearer a slice with a 3 wood (but still on the fairway). I could not imagine hitting the ball left. My irons were taking me close to the green (usually front right) and then my chipping and putting was the best it’s ever been - this after not hitting a ball in 3 weeks. Wierd.

On the 2nd nine my game fell to pieces. My old habits came flooding back - hitting with the arms, throwaway, and on one iron I also saw the horrendous divot which was coming way from the outside in. My chipping continued to be very good though.

It seems Module 4 is getting into my swing DNA, but Module 1 is not.

Modules #5 and #6 will show you how to deliver the backswing- transition- downswing nicely right into the 4:30 line… so
help is just around the corner…!

Module #4 shows you where you are, the progress you have made, and what you need to work on…

When you get into the slot, you’ll now know what to do once you are there, rather than swinging into the land of mystery…

Went to the course today. Started off on the chipping green again. Was pretty bad, so was glad to hit the range when the greenkeeper wanted to do some work there.

I had a 9 iron, and was originally just hitting some pitch shots, but after a while decided to let some full swings rip. I haven’t mucked about with the full swing since the first week of module 1, so now with module 2 getting into my brain, I looked forward to seeing if I could get that onto the range. I did. I was really getting the ball to go long and super high, really sweet feeling. I’m not peppering a pin just yet, but seemed to get most balls in two patches about 15m apart but the same length. Length was between 120m and 130m, which must be at least 15-20m longer than before starting module 1, and straighter too. I mean, when you are using the horsepower down low, it doesn’t feel like you are ever out of control, yet you are really trying to smack the ball. I’m still going to stick at the bag rather than thinking too much about this, but obviously I’m pretty much thrilled with my small session.

I went back to chipping. I’ve got quite a bit to go still with chipping, but this was still my best session. I wasn’t thinking at all about contact, and instead most of the reasons chips weren’t dropping in were due to mis-reading chips or distance stuff. I had the occasional mini-duff or mini-skinny that still mostly ended up with makable putts, if I’d read the shot correctly.

Overall, loving how module 1 and 2 has given us so much more horsepower, and I’m looking forward to adding to that with coming modules.

Well, it’s been almost a month now of Mod # 1 and I thought about where I am compared to where I was.

I joined this site whilst still using cavity back clubs that made longer iron shots easier but didn’t help my swing improve. I have since stuck to my Walter Hagen Ultra blades and I can honestly say that I don’t play worse with them, if anything I concentrate more to hit the ball with the minute (or so they seemed at the beginning) heads. The feedback I get from them is great and is helping me tune in my swing.

The bag drill work is making me stronger, no doubt about that. I watched tonight my latest uploaded video and the difference between week 1 and today is huge in terms of power and lag. My wrists bend so much more than before it’s not funny. I came to the conclusion yesterday that I have never been able to extend my left arm properly in the backswing because I couldn’t cock my wrists enough (not that I care about my left arm at this stage or even the backswing for what it matters).
My swing is getting flatter and flatter, I think I will have to bend my irons flat very soon or risk trying to go flat but not being able to. Also I feel my legs are working more and are coming into the equation whereas before they were just there doing basically nothing.
I love the fact that I can exercise from home, I’d rather spend more time doing the bag drill and chipping in the backyard than go to the range where they use mats anyway…

So, still very keen and seen the results with my body getting accustomed to the impact motion. Can’t wait to move on!!! :slight_smile:

Nice work Pipp, this all sounds very familiar to me too. You feel after a week you have it, then 2 weeks it’s much better again, then 3 weeks better again. You could probably go on for a few months, but of course there are bigger and better things to move to. Perhaps you’ll get module 2 as a Christmas present :slight_smile:

That’s interesting about the blades. I don’t know if you have regular playing partners, but I’m guessing they’d think you were quite strange for picking up blades while being so far from a single digit player. There will be some pretty big shocks when you game goes through the roof, and those blades start singing their sweet tunes.

No SB, don’t have regular partners as I play whenever I can but I’ve seen some wild looks when I arrive at the first tee with my persimmon 3 wood :open_mouth: :laughing:

I actually went for a quick nine holes this morning with my son and I am starting to think that I need some weight on these Hagens, it might be my impression or the fact I had lots of morning vigour :mrgreen: but they do feel lighter than what they used to…

I got a new sensation!!! At least that was the song playing on the way to work after an early morning hit. Does seem fitting though.

My Dynapower irons and Staff woods arrived, exactly as pictured and explained in the ebay ad, very nice condition. They are 1960 irons according to Lag’s pictures. I was a bit nervous this last week, but I needn’t be, these feel almost exactly the same to swing as my stiff Ping I5’s (gone ASAP) I’ve been using. Nice heavy blade, really nice to swing, but I did like swinging my I5’s anyway. My biggest fear was that the I5’s where hiding some monster mishits, but in all honesty this wasn’t the case. I was flushing a lot of my practice shots, just like the I5’s. I was hitting into a net, so couldn’t see the results, but felt a lot of solid contacts hitting a dozen shots with each iron, 9, 7, 5, 3. I then took the 5 and 4 woods and after a little getting used to it, starting getting solid contact. Finally the big 1. Bye bye titanium, hello persimmon!!! I just know I’m not going back to titanium anytime soon after flushing that first driver.

Hmmm, still early, onto the course. 350m no wind and sun right in my eyes. First drive felt like magic, didn’t see it. 2nd felt a bit tinny, didn’t see it. Lost the 2nd, but then I just had a sensation it was a bit thin, not really sure where it went, but the 1st went 240m (longest drive I think) just off the fairway, but nice first persimmon drive. Couldn’t finish the hole due to damn green keepers. 2nd hole was away from the sun, so I could see and it was poetry in motion, sweet contact, then watching the ball just cut through the air and never really go high or low at any point, seemingly never landing, a little pull off the right edge. 2nd was a slice, trying to steer it a bit, since both known drive had been pulls. I hit both balls from right fairway, 140m 7 iron. Hit the first shot fairly solid, middle back of the green, nice result for 1st blade shot on course. Since I was going over the back if I really got onto it, I visualized an ever so slight fade on the 2nd shot, and hit it picture perfect, landing 4 feet from the pin and made the easy putt! 50 year old blades huh? Next hole, my drives just got better, one slightly off the fairway, the other straight down the middle, two good contacts though. 8 iron was unlucky on both shots, solid contact straight shots, I thought they were both on, but after walking up realized green doesn’t go behind the right front bunker, making it a very tight green, chip and 2 putt both with tricky downhill chips that I misread, then mis-hit. Final hole, 376m into slightly increasing wind, absolutely blasted the first drive splitting the fairway, amazing feeling. 2nd hooked slightly into the trees, but again nice contact, and ended up longer than the straight drive, had line to the green. Took 5 iron from 160m and 155m and hit both solid. Trees shot clipped a branch (would have been on for sure) and landed in the bunker, other one just on the green, 3 and 2 shots respectively from there.

So even with these horribly hard to hit clubs (really???) I really never mis-hit a shot out on the course, and blindfolded would have no reason to believe these aren’t high quality brand new clubs, rather than 50 year old blades and persimmons. Very solid to hit, easy to swing, even the long irons even though I never hit above a 5 iron on the course. Also technology and distance. The 376m (415y) last hole is the 2nd longest hole on the course I believe, and I think with persimmon it’s still possible to be hitting a 7/8 iron into that with more ABS and practice, and even today was a drive and 5 iron for both balls. So you don’t NEED more distance than this on all but one 406m par 4, where it would take a very nice strike to get to the 150m mark. I’m very happy with the clubs, but ecstatic about the progress with the swing. Very early days, but still putting together a very acceptable bunch of shots for a guy that has been playing 3 years rather than just practicing for 3 months.

It’s hard to come down from all this, but the rest of the week has been quiet. Did module 2 drills with board every day this week. Still not getting it I don’t think, but getting some leg action going, so probably progressing. Chipping has been pretty close to nothing. I haven’t put in a full chipping session since last week, but I’m far from stopping that. Also I bought and read Al’s putting book, and it’s spot on what I needed. The what to do, what not to dos and some variations you might want to try, really perfect book, so I’m excited about spending a tonne of hours on the putting green.

Merry Xmas all.

great stuff sb—keep it up!!

Lucky me! I had the pleasure of playing with Lag the day after Christmas. While visiting his father, he joined him to play with a few of the guys I play with in Sedona. My brother in law and I got paired with Lag and his Dad. What a swing! Shots that any pro would be proud to make, a 220 yard fad that required the shot to move outside the boundary stakes past the tree line and fade onto the green. Four birdies in a row. WOW! He edged 3 o4 four putts with poor cup cuts to shoot a 66. Not bad for a cold day where temperatures did not get above 45. I played with Lag and without knowing who he was or about the ADVANCED BALL STRIKING program. Modest man. I ask what he would advise to help a 21 handicap? He suggested this program. Oh, lucky me. Look forward to working and learning how to improve my game.

1 Like

You are one lucky so and so ! :slight_smile:
What a great way to find this site. How Lag swings the club is what all his modules work towards.
Look for the thread on “introduce yourself” to tell us more about your golf!

Serendipity…
I guess we are all here to some extent by serendipity, but yours is more obvious.

Welcome! This is a great place to be. /eagle

1 Like

indeed, sedona—
Im sure it was you posting on golfwrx in the last day or 2—It’s amazing how Lag was
damn near brutalized when he first posted there—they sure are nicer now that they know who he is!!!
people are funny…
welcome!!

bent

I was working with my dad a bit late in the afternoon working on module #1 #2 and #3. The house is on the 6th fairway, so we walked out back with the impact bag, and did a few sets… then I had him drop a couple balls directly after doing the reps.

He hit two shots right at the pin from about 150 yards… then did another set, then hit two more again right at the pin.

When we walked up there, three balls were just short of the green and one on the green next to the hole… but the amazing thing was you could draw a dead straight line from the first ball to the 4th, and no ball was more than 2 feet off line. It was really pretty amazing.

There was such a difference in acceleration and the sound of the shots from the day before.

When you set up opposing forces to create a dynamic swing plane, the precision and tightness the plane really takes form.

1 Like

Welcome jjsedona…

That was a lot of fun. Maybe you and dad can keep an eye on one another, as dad likes to take too long a backswing on the module #1 drill!

The Oak Creek CC is a wonderful old school Trent Jones golf course that still has some resemblance of hand troweling. You feel you are playing the lay of the land, instead of the surface of some architects ego. I love all the side hill lies and how you have to shape the ball off the tee to position the ball in the correct part of the fairway. It’s a real nice test especially for a persimmon game.

We’ll be getting rid of that OTT move asap, I’m sure others can attest. Module #1 will get you hooking the ball in no time!

We learn to hook it first, then we have something we can work with…

It can take a bit of time, but we do things the right way here…

welcome again!

1 Like

Welcome JJ, things are looking up for your swing :slight_smile:

Like the rest of us, it won’t take too long before you are feeling what it’s like to really hit a golf ball well.

Nice story about playing with Lag, it’s nice to know he makes the same impression on the course as off it. Nice score BTW Lag.