Golf Restoration Solutions

I spoke to my naive Club Captain about having a persimmon/blades club event. Maybe a late sunday 9 hole comp in summer. He scoffed at the idea, saying no one would be interested in playing old clubs. I said, “you are incorrect, i am interested, so dont ever say, no one is interested”

He is a very fine player, in that he hits his frying pan 300m and putts like Crenshaw, 1 hcp. But i asked him for a game, my old “stuff” against his gear. I borrowed a persimmon, nice block from the club President, Tony Penna. He had it in his garage for 20 yrs. yikes!. I got lucky, in that he had 14 putts for 9 instead of his norm 11 putts, and my 32 beat his 37 nicely.

So… he giving my day a go. 9 Hole comp on a Sunday. My rules be very simple.

1. Woods must be woods
    2 Irons must be blades
  2. Putter must be shortest club.
  3. All shafts steel
  4. No carts
  5. Play as it lies
  6. Beer at the end.

Give me a month or so to drum up interest, let members dig thru their garages, be a great day

Steve

1. How about a pro-am day as a tour event curtain raiser where everyone plays persimmon? Doesn’t have to be main tour but might be fun to do on the Senior Tour circuit. Would be a good one to market with the senior tour spectators as the players grew up with persimmon, “Back to the Future” etc

2. The branding as a “Persimmon” Event or tour makes sense. Anything implying “traditional” could be deemed to include Hickory shafts, feathery balls etc

3. Balls: A standard tour ball sounds like a very good idea. Did the ball manufacturers throw out all the equipment required to make Balatas or is it just gathering dust somwehere??? Otherwise the one off ball run idea might work.

4. Bring it to the UK and play some proper windy links courses. Bumpy courses, traditional greens, wind and persimmon… golf as it should be!

Interesting to see where this goes.

Chris

Firstly it’s great to see this initiative kick-off and encouraging to already see a range of well thought out suggestions. I agree with Bradley there are a surprisingly large number of golfers that actually do have some reservations about the direction the game has taken over the past 2 decades. But without any natural focus for change or an alternative on offer this just tends to manifest itself as resignation.

With this in mind I also agree that a focus on providing an alternative through bi-furication is the best way to go. Focusing on a better, attractive alternative is a more effective move than simply trying to move the oil tanker from its current course by shouting in the wind from on the deck. That shouldn’t stop us from contrasting the benefits of the persimmon / precision game with what is on offer elsewhere. Personally I am happy to challenge in a way that does not impinge on other peoples freedom to choose. I am not in favour of actions that cross that fundamental line of respect whatever the provocation.

I think the idea of a National Persimmon Open based on either the existing TRGA LV Classic or a whole new event is good initial focus. Bringing some “names” sympathetic to the cause that will give the event some credibility with the wider golfing public would I think be essential as would be the presence of TV coverage of some flavour. Having this single idea as the focus for initial attention would allow us not to get too diluted in what we are trying to achieve too quickly. Some of us could perhaps involve ourselves in looking at sponsorship opportunities, fund raising of all types etc. Perhaps a 3 day event with the first 2 being a pro-am where the ams pay to take part and the final day is the pro shootout? It would certainly be a major effort but it is a simple practical goal. If it based TRGA LV Classic i would imagine that you would need more time that Jan 2012 to organise this.

Outside of that I have always been attracted by the concept of the exhibition tours the pro’s used to play like the original one that Harry Vardon and Ted Ray undertook when they toured the US, playing in more than 80 matches before Vardon capped it off with a victory in the US Open. The format would usually be Vardon & Ray against the pro at the local club concerned + another fine local player and would usually draw decent crowds. Something similar would be great with persimmon / blades being the equipment focus though I suggest it is too much to ask Lag and Two to circumvent the US in such a manner even if we could make it work financially. But perhaps we could break such a tour into regional segments so it was more practical and we might have a chance to attract some names to take part. Maybe Elk and Maves could do a few, could Crenshaw be encouraged through contacts, Mac etc to do their bit? These could get some coverage Shell’s WW of Golf style. Has Al Barkow got any contacts? With just 4 players perhaps the practicalities of filming would be easier. Focus on the historic courses with wealthy memberships, do a presentation in the evening after the match to explain what we are doing and why. Ask the club to build in a amateur persimmon event for the day / week / month so those who have been inspired have the opportunity to see that there is an alternative.

In terms of other grass roots ideas the next major objection I hear when a suggestion is made for a persimmon / blades competition at club level, outside of the one that Steve mentioned, is that no-one has access to the gear any more. I have always thought that it would be great to take that objection away by offering to supply the gear for a persimmon / blades day much in the way that some people do for hickory days. I have always thought that a van / bus carrying - 20 / 30 sets of gear could offer clubs the chance to offer their members a different challenge for the day. Again this would present an opportunity to educate those taking part on how gear is different and the impact it can have on their game.

Other ideas? How about some type of founding fathers type statement / petition that people could sign up to online. This could be viral and linked into other initiatives. Its a simple way of getting an expression of discontent with the game as it is today and to start raising consciousness for alternatives. Get some big names / heavy hitters to sign up first and then the wider golfing public are more likely to follow. Promote the alternative to those who sign up.

Cheers, Arnie

A few one-off thoughts before I lose them:

I agree that the focus should shift away from “classic” or “traditional” and more into “parallel but different”. The random person exposed to persimmon/blades will think “this is watered-down golf” so it will be our burden to show them it’s not. Towards this end I think any exhibition, open tournament, etc. should feature well publicized clinics where master level practitioners can demonstrate the range of opportunities that persimmon/blades provide. I would love to see a clinic with lag alternating between a Macgregor M85 blade 6 iron and a Burner 2.0 6 iron. He’d want to wash his hands afterwards but showing knockdown shots, fades, draws…the 9 shot windows compared to the ballooning hooks that modern gear sometimes produces would be eye opening to younger persons and jog the memories of older folk. It shouldn’t be about the age of the equipment though. Modern blades should be embraced but just have a size limit. Louisville Golf has been making quality persimmons and it’s a shame they can’t be included in events that cap gear by year produced like the TRGA events.

I like the exhibition match suggestion. Several exhibition matches per year +1 open event with a moderate but enticing purse and lots of clinics with an emphasis on the type of gear, not the year of production. I’ll chime in more as things percolate.

Arnie,
So many great ideas there… let’s keep all this going. I think Bradley and I are ready to hit the road taking out club pros and assistants one by one with the archaic gear on their classic home course vs their modern gear.
Sound fun… and would be an effective grass roots approach toward re educating players about the importance of skill and the advantages of using properly set up equipment. Of course we have to win every match before we pull out the soapbox at the club dinner that night :sunglasses: Maybe we write a letter to the board of each of these clubs and present the challenge. If we win… they pick up our tab and pay us “X” amount of dollars, then we offer a free clinic, dinner question and answer session. If we lose, we sneak out the back gate and hitch hike to the next match.

I like the idea of “persimmon golf” running in parallel to the current game. Setting up persimmon events is a great idea and fun… but runs the risk of novelty or nostalgia. On a shorter tight golf course I believe persimmon and blades to be superior equipment and would not hesitate to play against pros with modern gear, especially if the greens are less than perfect. The new putting (chip rolling) technique I have been developing is just golden on bumpy crappy greens.

Grass roots goals
Macro Goals
Setting equipment standards
Rules changes
Re education
New education to younger players
Promotion
Publicity
Fund Raising
Angel hunting
Web promotion
Social networking
Golf ball
Equipment availability issues

Just a few things that come to mind that would need attention.

Hey guys,
Sorry I am a bit late top the party here…I didn’t realize Lag had opened up a new thread at the bottom of the page!

I wanted to address a recent question that wholejobs brought up here:

Yes…pretty much, I think it’s in pieces and parts sitting in various warehouses somewhere…but more than likely much of it has been dismantled and disposed of. Honestly, it would NOT surprise me if they simply trashed all that Balata related machinery. When I was in the fishing rod business, I used to do a lot of consulting work for AllStar Composites in Houston. When AllStar was purchased by Shakespeare, the closed down the factory, moved all the big equipment that had a CURRENT function in production to South Carolina to be later shipped to China. The rest of the stuff, I was given an option to take with me free of charge (would have required an 18 wheeler Tractor Trailer), or it would simply be disposed of. I took what I could…sold some on consignment for AllStar, and the rest ended up in several dumpsters…very sad.
John and Bradley are acutely aware of my quest to find a wound Balata manufacturer somewhere in the world…there just aren’t any anymore. Tiger Woods and Rock Ishii screwed the pooch on that deal when Rock convinced Tiger to switch to a solid core ball in or around 1999/2000. I am of the opinion that if Tiger had stayed with Balata, we’d still see it on tour today…
http://www.thepnga.org/sites/courses/viewHeadlineNews.asp?id=81

I have spoken with just about every ball manufacturer both domestic and overseas, about making wound Balata (they won’t) or about acquiring some old equipment for the job (they don’t have it, and if they do they’re not telling). I even found a company called Huestis that made golf ball winders for winding Balata balls…they still have them advertised on their website. One day I called them up, got a hold of a lady named Susan at Huestis, told her I was interested in a Golf Ball Winder, and needed to know cost and availability. Her response was “Golf Ball Winder? We haven’t made those in over 10 years…I cant believe those are still on the website” I also sourced the manufacturer in Asia that made the “Raw Slabs” of Balata material for Titleist, Maxfli and others…same dead end, they’re just not interested in fooling with it, or they don’t have the capacity to manufacture it anymore, because as one guy told me “the rest of the world has moved on”

Of course this is not to say there are not options. I did manage to make a contact here in the U.S. with an individual who represents a company located in the Pacific Rim that makes what look to be some REALLY good urethane covered balls. They currently do private label work for many other manufacturers…so for all we know, we may already be playing balls made by this company. The nice thing about this individual is that he was willing to do custom work if the quantity was sufficient. They already have what looks to be a ProV1-esque ball with a slightly lower compression, for about 1/3 of the price.
To be honest, the ball I am using now is the Wilson FG Tour, which to me is one of the best in terms of being closest to a Balata like feel. The Srixon Soft Feel, which was played in the TRGA Tourney’s I think Lag told me was chosen because it was not a distance ball, and had a similar limit to Balata on how far one could hit it. However, this ball has almost ZERO spin to it…just horrible and next to impossible to work left or right, up or down in any capacity at all. My scores dropped 5 strokes when I switched to the FG simply because all of a sudden I could now hold a green on the fly.

Anyway, if anybody has any suggestions regarding the golf ball, I’d love to hear them. I can certainly get some samples from my contact for us to try out.

As a former small business owner in the sporting goods industry, I am actually considering setting up another small company specifically to provide tournament balls to whatever “entity” comes out of this Persimmon renaissance. Not so much to line my pockets with your money, but really to be able to become a sort of corporate sponsor of this movement that could help finance in some small way… the idea of proper golf played in this capacity (persimmon and blades). Kind of like, “For every dozen balls sold, 5% of the sales goes to the TRGA, to help bring golf back to it’s glory days”

Like I posted in the “U.S. Open Thread”, a contact of mine in the golf business is currently in the process of putting together an actual forging house specifically for golf clubs here in the USA…that’s right …a forging house… in the USA, making golf clubs… in the USA. From what I understand from our last conversation, the dies for the wedge heads are nearing completion. He is a former amateur having played in the heart of the Persimmon era in the 1960/1970’s and expressed an interest in having some sort of participation in a Persimmon Tour in an advertising capacity.

I think there is a lot of potential in terms of a sponsorship program for advertising and marketing, to help finance a tour, separate website with a bulletin board etc…

I’ll stop for now, but I thought I’d share what I know about the state of the golf ball, so we all know where we stand on the availability of wound balata.

And like I said, if anyone is interested in some samples from my current contact, let me know and I’ll see what kind of deal we can work out. If we can get 10 or 20 guys to pitch in a few bucks to cover the shipping and whatever sample fee there is, I’ll be happy to spearhead the project.

Best Regards,

Andy

I think in a fledgling tournament or tournaments that we’re talking about must include amatuers. No names playing with the marque players. Maybe with an index of 5 or below? Let the top 4 or 5 scoring amatuers play on the final day. A medal or certificate of some kind for the low am. With the kind of goals that we’re striving for, we must make sure that the tournament is not a novelty, but a better way to enjoy golf. Something that the spectators/competitors/sponsors would want to attend again…next week.

The availability of equipment is an issue. This to me is grassroots solved. Spread the word around the club. Let anyone that wants to hit your woods. Explain any questions about your irons with patience and logic. I have converted two players at my local course this summer. One of them found his woods at a garage sale. Now we have a persimmon foresome when we get together. (Allready had one).

Another interesting thing is when I play with strangers, invariably someone during that round will want to hit my driver. At least once. With respectful conversation try to convert that person. Give him the ABS website. Talk to him/her about the pleasures of puring that thing, the agony of when you miss it, how you used to have all the latest/greatest and still didn’t improve.

If your at the range, don’t put that 4 wood back into the bag, lay it on the ground so the people hearing it can see it. Let them ask questions. Let them hit it.

Play golf with the young ones. They will want to hit your persimmons. Let them have fun. Share the history with them. They might just attend or try to compete in the 1st Tourney. They will definitely attend the 2nd.

Lots of great ideas here–BIG ideas, ideas that will need a much longer timeline.
First, a couple of questions:

–Lag how would this Persimmon Open differ from the annual TRGA event?
–If not, then how can the annual Las Vegas venue be enhanced?
–What in your mind makes it a success the first year? What does this project look like in three-years, five-years?

Let’s do a SWOT analysis–strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats. Fairly simple, let’s brainstorm and start a list. Let’s make the timeline one year from now. So in about a year from now, the first Persimmon Open will commence…January 2013. Remember there are no wrong answers to put on this list. Be as creative as you can be, and don’t worry about full thoughts, jot down ideas which can be fleshed out and kept or discarded later.

Key Messages
–A new way to enjoy the game of golf
–Classic courses re-introduced
–‘Playing it forward with persimmon’ at yardages almost all can handle–6600 yards or less. (I like the idea of using the USGA’s current playing it forward theme. There are lots of opportunities to bend this to our advantage. I also find it interesting to play with gear and from yardages that the greats like Hogan, Knudson, Snead, Nelson played from. Standing in the fairway with the same iron perhaps that they played from is a touchstone and instant connection to try and feel and see what they felt and saw)
–Environmentally advantageous

SWOT for First Annual Persimmon Open
Strengths
Venue/timeframe secured. (Vegas?)
Past TRGA participants most likely to fill out field
TRGA leadership infrastructure intact

Weaknesses
No share of mind among media and key (golf) opinion leaders
A ‘nice’ turn back the clock one-off event
No marquee players
Venue/timeframe challenges for marquee players
Sponsor limitations
Prize money limitations

Opportunities
Hold at Cypress or other broadcast-friendly classics
Friends and key influencers: Ken Venturi, Al Barkow,Tiger Woods, Geoff Ogilvy, Steve Elkington, Greg Norman, etc.
Media opportunities
Sponsor opportunities: Louisville Golf, Paul Allen, others?
Charitable tie-ins

Threats
Seen as an old-guy event
Players show up with blades and persimmons and don’t know how to hit them. (As we all know, it takes time!)
Calendar date is bad

This is just a start, but the idea is to work toward the first annual event, how or if it’s differentiated from the TRGA event. Develop a series of key strategic messages which can be delivered to the run-up via press releases, satellite media tours, social media, TV, radio, blogs, etc.; and at a day-before event presser. The actual event is the vehicle to deliver the message that there’s a place for bifurcation, for a persimmon tour. Build out a narrative and start promoting key personalities which will be the face of this event and future ones–Lag, Bradley, others…

As Lag suggested,it might be good to approach this like a business plan, the key goal being to hold an event that attracts the interest of deep-pocket, passionate golfers who might want to start a small tour down the line. Anyway, just some initial thoughts. Hope that helps add to the discussion…

I watched this great documentary on how Walmart came out of nowhere and took over Sears, Wards and a few others. They simply did not see it coming. Even when they saw it coming… they refused to actually see it.

The USGA in my opinion is an arrogant, selfish, narcissistic organization that has no competition, no clear vision, no respect for the game’s history, no integrity, and seems to feel they are golf’s only voice, and all golfers in the world must follow submissively their ideals and objectives no matter how absurd they are. They control the rules, the equipment, the major events, the PGA Tour, the golf courses, the spikes on our shoes, the balls we use etc.

Is it possible for a new organization to rise? Of course it is possible. Practical? Financially feasible? maybe or maybe not…
necessary? I think so.

Like Hoganut suggests… sprinkling little seeds along the path… no one really notices, little sprouts here and there…
I think the interest grows if we can hold up an umbrella of sorts for those lonely persimmon players scattered around to come together on a site or social network… and let is grow organically from there. Little tournaments here and there…
four guys playing persimmon call it the Wonder Cup or whatever. A place to post their experiences… share their victories and defeats. Tiny little armies all over like fire ants. The internet is extremely powerful. People that were unheard of 5 years ago like Maves, 3Jack, Ralph Perez, Bradley, myself now have respectable audiences. I think some kind of website created like “Persimmon Golf” (persimmongolf.org / yes it’s available!) would be a good start.

I think we need a website, and a great name might help… but I don’t think the name is the end of the world… google? godaddy? but something that describes what we are doing?

I really like persimmon woods being the line in the sand… because it really is a good one. Anything metal is open to scrutiny. Anything wood is not.

Another good point about persimmon is it is a craft… and could create jobs for many club repair guys over time… younger players with woodworking skills might really enjoy the craft. It’s not impossible to make these from scratch either… easier than making a balata golf ball.

Are we really going backwards to the point that a ball winding machine is a lost technology? No one would even know how to create such a machine? How did they make the first winding machines back in the 1930’s? Where they geniuses beyond today’s level of intelligence? They are still winding baseball’s aren’t they? Is that an avenue to explore? Yarn, knitting shops?
What else is being winded?

Having some money to play for. We’ll get pros to show up if the purse justifies a plane ticket or drive out. Not sure what that number is… even a winner takes all would draw interest… and maybe actually attract better players than paying down 60 places. This wouldn’t work long term… but could help get the ball rolling. Vic’s been calling it the Classic Club Open which I agree sounds retro or novelty, sentimental or nostalgic. Fun for now… but I think it needs to morph into something else. It’s been doing it’s job… and has no doubt raised awareness, discussions, controversy and all those lovely things :sunglasses:

I like “The United States Persimmon Golf Championship”. Sound serious, sounds historic. “These Guys are Better” Get it covered in Golf World. If they won’t cover it, we buy a 1/4 page ad and post the results. Put an entry form in there before the event. Let the world know there is such an event. It needs it’s own website. Not that difficult. Pick a course…preferable a good one. Write the board or directors of the club a nicely worded letter explaining our objectives and how it will raise awareness for their Country Club… and may of these historic courses are struggling for new members as the younger 20 and 30 set are joining the courses with bigger clubhouses, or courses where today’s pros play… and so on.
This gives them a chance to get back on the map… and promote their history. We might not get Seminole, Olympic or Medina on a first go but we might get a place like Waverly in Portland, or Lake Merced in SF. I know there are a ton of old historic course along the eastern seaboard. Why don’t you Brits think about “The British Persimmon Golf Championship”
Australians “The Australian Persimmon National Golf Open”. I know we will find some sympathetic support north of the boarder in Canada. There are our first four majors.

Again… I think if we can guarantee a reasonable purse…we will get some good players interested. Look at the Senior Tour.
It’s a closed shop pretty much … what 6 spots in the Q school each year? There are a TON of good players looking for other places to play that didn’t get through. Look at a guy like Clampett? He’s at best conditional status… he’s not getting in every week. There are all kinds of guys that could potentially come out of the woodwork for these events. It’s hard to get them to come out for nothing… but I think there are still people around that might like to come out and watch Lee Janzen who won a couple US Opens… or Mac O Grady… or Mark Brooks.

The media will take care of a lot of the controversy and surely pressure some of the modern tour players to give something like this a go… especially if they lose their tour cards. You’d be surprised how many PGA Tour winners that are household names to many that do not hold current PGA Tour cards with good status.

I’m sure we could sell some advertising on the Persimmon Tour website. Shop the event to various sponsors… and let them attach their name to the event. With a $100,000 event… it would raise a few eyebrows. Start off by paying just 5 spots.
50K 20K 15K 10K 5K. I think a lot of guys might take a stab at finishing in the top 5 to make a few bucks for the week.
No qualifying to get it? That’s attractive. Can we get 150 guys to show up? With a $395 entry fee… we got just under $60K right there. Have a Wednesday pro am with 30 pros grouped with 3 ams… let them play their own gear for fun and let them watch the persimmon pros clean their clocks with persimmon and blades on their home course. $200 pro am fee and we got another 18K now 78K we are getting close. Sell an advertising banner on each tee for $500 for the week and we have another 9K now 87K.

This is doable right?

If we can get that close… hell I’ll throw in K5. Now 92K. What about offering some hospitality tents spread around the course in a few places? I think we are there without having to land a big controlling corporate sponsorship.

This could be done.

I think every year has been a success. Certainly TRGA has gained some awareness. I mean we have put on 4 professional events with real prize money and played successfully off in my opinion a much better rule book… and no one arrested us or tried us for treason!

Bradley Hughes has won the event. Myself, Luke Lane is fine player from Texas. So an Australian Champion, a Californian, a Texan… not bad. There have been some good players enter that have not won it… Vic Wilk has won on the Canadian and Nationwide. Brady Exber is in the Nevada Golf Hall of Fame. Doug Poole qualified for this years US Senior Open. Our own Robbo from ABS has played and is a fine player. As much as I like to compete and win golf tournaments :smiling_imp: … I am glad I am not holding 4 of these trophies… as that really would look a bit ridiculous… and in my opinion… would not be furthering along the objectives.

Hi guys

I just wanted to say that I think trying to establish a Persimmon/Classic Equipment Open is a fantastic idea and if I can do anything from the UK to support the project then I will. There are obviously a number of obstacles that must be overcome but I think we can take heart from the fact that a Tour has recently been created in the UK that enjoys national Sky Sports coverage. The William Hunt Trilby Tour is amateur event and further details can be found on the following website :

www.williamhunttrilbytour.com/home.html

Maybe we can get some ideas from this organisation. I can e-mail them and find out if they are willing to offer any guidance or assistance with our project. Any objections?

Pete

Trilby Tour winner takes all for amateurs? What do they win? Is everyone giving up their amateur status when they enter?

Sure, find out what you can from them.

Down the road I would like to see the whole amateur status thing eliminated. Let golf just be a game and let people play it the way they want, gamble, not gamble, prize money, no prize money. If I go to Vegas and play blackjack does that make me a pro? The Olympics ditched the whole amateur thing. At University I was on scholarship… meaning money my parents didn’t have to pay for tuition… but other kids had to… but I was still amateur because it had certain strings attached to it. I had to go to school and pass classes. But if I qualify for the Canadian Tour I have to play good golf or I lose my privileges in the same way. Didn’t a 16 year old gal win on the LPGA last week?

I know a little of the Trilby Tour from a couple of guys who have played it.
You pay a hefty entrance fee then they kit you out with a snazy (??) outfit and a Trilby (surprisingly enough).
Theres various regional events followed by finals most of which Sky Sports cover. The prizes are decent but not decent enough to mean you lose your amateur status.

Could this model be partially followed? How about a decent size entry fee for the amateurs that includes a Persimmon driver if you don’t have one?

Maybe get the guys at Louisville Golf interested and offer their 50’s series woods? I am presuming that “new” persimmon is acceptable as long as it is combined with a steel shaft??

For us UK guys, persimmon golf supply something smilar: persimmongolf.co.uk/acatalog/Model_26.html
I think all of their supplies come from Louisville anyway.

For potential UK events, a good friend of mine is a master club builder who has Wilson’s ex tour van and I’m sure I could enlist his help to visit any events to provide a loft /lie - re-grip service etc.

Some great ideas coming out on here!

I’ve been thinking of slogans/ads that can be used and I thought of this today…It needs a better picture but you get the idea.
Woods-picture.gif

Love it. Great work there…

Who needs Tiger when you have woods?

Would be good to get Tiger on board…
He might feel a bit of guilt and want to do something different?

This is great! Yes, let’s get Tiger, doesn’t hurt to ask. I like the idea of a website, with people sending in video from their local persimmon opens throughout the year. Work toward designating one weekend globally where persimmon is played. Let the website grow, develop some critical mass, and who knows…

Another very simple idea is a (e)mailing list for use with a newsletter. Could be as simple as specifying upcoming events and happenings, results from events, clinic times, entry forms, articles, memorable rounds, advertising, whatever… could just be the most interested posts from this forum. It would be a nice way to unite the staggling persimmon players that Lag mentioned and it provides a nice segue for introducing new people. For example, like Hoganut said, if you leave your persimmon 4 wood uncovered during a range session and somebody asks about it you strike up a quick conversation and mention why you play persimmon. If they are interested you offer to forward a newsletter to their preferred email. They read it and now they’re thinking about pulling the old beauties out of the garage…